• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Joined the Beige Club - '78 242DL

Perhaps slap a lower B230 timing cover on just so you can reference the ignition timing to something/anything with the timing light?.... I bet you could hack away most of the cover so you don't need to pull the crank bolt to get it on.... then a mark on the block under the dizzy would "lock in" the timing once you're done.

-Ryan

That's the plan! Once the marks are marked on the pulley I'll need something to reference them to. I have a new lower cover at home that will end up hacked up like you say to use as a timing tool. I just need to figure out the best way to do it for ease of use and so I can still secure it in place properly to make sure timing is referenced accurately on it.

Too cold on the garage for me to want to spend much time in there tonight. I did fill the engine with 2 gallons of coolant though. Also stared at the car trying to think of what is left. I need some dot4 brake fluid for the clutch hydraulics, but the other couple things I need to do I already have everything I need. I *think* just a couple more hours work on it before it is ready.

Got the new efan harness all tied up and wrapped. I decided the most reasonably clean way to power it was in fact to just run a power wire to the main charge wire stud on the back of the alternator. I just zip tied the wire to the lower radiator hose so it pops right off of it by the water pump neck and spans over to the alternator. Black hose, black wire and black zip ties make it look way less ghetto than it sounds, I promise.

I also got the negative battery cable bolted down in the trunk. With that done I jumpered the 2 fan switch terminals to verify the efan is working as it is supposed to. Also double checked all the gauges in the new cluster operate as intended. Volt gauge works, oil pressure gauge jumps to dead zero with key on and gas gauge shows activity with key on too. Looks like I won't have to worry about pumping out any old gas... Gauge shows it is near empty already. So I am thinking I will just pour a few fresh gallons in there and call it good for the fuel system stuff.

My boy is coming down with a cold today I think though so I spent all afternoon laying on the couch watching movies with him instead of playing mechanic in the garage. Car takes a back seat until he feels better.

Continuing the trend of totally boring update posts... Snuck out to the garage for 5 minutes while the boy was sitting with mom. I wanted to double check power to the LH ecu with key on since I forgot to do that earlier. LH gets power through the main relay which is also the fuel pump relay. Held it in my hand and put key in KPII, it clicks on the relay. Turn key back off and relay clicks off. One more thing verified.

An update with a picture:

DSC_0020.JPG

Poured 5 gallons of premium into the tank this afternoon, key on shows the gas gauge rising in kind. Nice to see that gauge working with some actual amount of gas in the tank to measure.

Now just need to figure out the hydro clutch adjustment and bleed and I think it's done mechanically. Well unless I find something I have to fix/do over.

Didn't know you were gonna rock the skinny bumpers...

Might look sick with a set of all black GT Commandos.

Just keepin' it authentic!

Do you have a high-resolution version of that picture? It looks like an appropriate addition to my Volvo folder.

Thanks Cam. Wouldn't let me download it outright, but digging through the page source code did the trick. Bet Google left it otherwise unprotected on purpose...

Thanks Cam. Wouldn't let me download it outright, but digging through the page source code did the trick. Bet Google left it otherwise unprotected on purpose...

Weird -- does it not show you the black background slideshow view from that link? If it does you should be able to click the options menu on the bottom and click "download full size" Doesn't really matter though since you found it anyway :)

An update with a picture:

DSC_0020.JPG

Poured 5 gallons of premium into the tank this afternoon, key on shows the gas gauge rising in kind. Nice to see that gauge working with some actual amount of gas in the tank to measure.

Now just need to figure out the hydro clutch adjustment and bleed and I think it's done mechanically. Well unless I find something I have to fix/do over.

Oh hell yes. That looks awesome.

Oh hell yes. That looks awesome.

Thanks!

Looks like he needs some shelves too.

:-P

It's not as messy in there as it looks in that pic, I promise! The right side there, behind those wheels that aren't mounted on my S70 yet, and the engine hoist and the garbage can is an 8' workbench. The bench has a few things on it at the moment because I had some things displaced from painting that back wall behind the toolbox recently. I really don't like open shelves in garages because it still looks just as cluttered that way to me. If we decide to stay in this house more than another year I'll be building a cabinet wall on that side with big sliding doors to keep stored stuff out of sight. The garage will never be totally tidy though, since I like to use it to work on stuff.

Werd....as long as homie's gotst space ta wrench, I'm dowwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

Shoulda seen mine when I had a orphan Miata, all hacked up in one spot, n a pile of OVLOV shizzzzzzz in da other....

Got shelves on one side now, and a full length workbench on the other, thanks to Mr. RWC!!! Gangsta is when you gotta place ta park n a place ta wreeeeennnnnnnnnncccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Back