• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

83 242 V8 LQ4 swap

Thanks guys, motor is already back in and running. Of course the damn water pump leaks now from sitting dry for a couple weeks but Ill get that replace and get it home. Made lots of progress on the datsun drag car too, going to focus on that for a few weeks and then get back to my car.

Well I gave in to peer pressure and decided to intercool it. Car has been running great otherwise, hopefully I can get it all plumbed up this weekend. The compressor housing will get rotated 90 degrees and will line up with the top inlet. The bottom is going to get plumbed under the bumper shock and then up through inner fender sheet metal. Trying to decide the best looking way to cut the bumper for more airflow, I'm not to big on the holes that most do but we'll see what I come up with.

Nice 10" vertical core, should be minimal pressure drop and big enough not to heat soak too quickly.

You could do a small meth nozzle directly before the turbo only used to cool the intake charge. I've heard of 70-140deg temp drops on the outlet side vs not spraying meth.

But, it's not like adding an intercooler is going to hurt anything soo...

Last edited:
Cool that youre going to intercool it:-P
Looking forward to hear the result and if you can actually feel any difference yourself.

Cool that youre going to intercool it:-P
Looking forward to hear the result and if you can actually feel any difference yourself.

I don't expect it to make much more power with this turbo, but hopefully the intercooler will keep things safer

You could do a small meth nozzle directly before the turbo only used to cool the intake charge. I've heard of 70-140deg temp drops on the outlet side vs not spraying meth.

But, it's not like adding an intercooler is going to hurt anything soo...

I'm always skeptical of people claiming those temp drops, The fluid hitting the iat sensor and evaporating off seems to cause false readings for people. Either way the intercooler was a cheaper route that the meth kit and nothing to fail. The thing that really made my mind up is now I can still make 500hp on regular 91 octane gas, should help me sell it if/when i decide to again.

Between you and Hackster I don't think I can fight the need for an LS swap...

As I sit here in the wee hours of the morning, between feedings with my 2 week old son and a three week old 242 project in the garage I'm blown away with your build sir. Just amazing journey from page 1 to page 31. It's awesome to see someone take a 242 to the level you have in a straight line fashion. I'm not so big on drag racing, but I have respect for it like any other form of racing. With that, you have my respect sir. Keep it up and I hope to embody the same "work with what I got" mentality as well as you have.

Thanks man and congrats on the kid. For the record I was never that into drag racing either. I was on a road race team for many years, autocrossed, even did some land speed stuff. My car was just supposed to be a quick street car, I just can't help but get carried away.

If you need a method injection kit my buddy jayce kramer makes them for the grand nattys. I can get you one for half off. He's a good friend.

I'm always skeptical of people claiming those temp drops, The fluid hitting the iat sensor and evaporating off seems to cause false readings for people.

That was my thoughts too but with how far away the IAT actually is from the nozzle and if you don't spray that much you wont have any left over to really condense. But yeah you do already have an intercooler and there is nothing to fail with an intercooler.

Either way, Mo' Powa' :nod:

LED that is supposed to come on when meth tank gets low burnt out, never came on when tank was empty. I'm sure the kits now a days are better, but I just stay away.

Ouch... that's my greatest fear with Meth, a failsafe doesn't work.

Last edited:
Your craftsmanship is sick. Nice job

Thank you.

Got it 90% done. Just need to add a couple pop rivets to the lower bumper lip, and get the boost controller hooked up. I put the blow off valve down low to keep the bay a little cleaner. Also welded a little box into the front bumper to hopefully force the air through. If everything works well I'm going to take it back apart and paint/powdercoat everything black.

Back