• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Opinion: Steelies

What do I do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

districtmotors

Hi, I recently acquired four steelies that are in good structural shape but have surface rust. I intend to sell them but need some opinions. Do I...?

A) Clean them, list them, and move on.
B) Clean them, spray them, list them and move on.
1. What color if I spray them?
2. Any recommendations for paint companies?

Also, what?s the going rate for a set of four? I?m located in suburban DC

$10 each as-is where-is... Or most likely scrap metal price.

Anything 14" also pretty much is the same.

What cheap a$$es roll with hideous hubcaps when they cannot afford proper alloy wheels.

If they are 14", you won't get the cost of your paint back from the sale. You can barely give those away. 15" 7/9 steelies in good shape are worth $100.

940 15" steelies look great on a 242 with the older 2 piece hub caps. It gives the car the "cop car" look. Clean and simple with plenty of tire under it. There is a brand of steel wheel out there now that looks great on a 240. I'll see if I can find the pic I took of a car running them. They were 16" or 17". I can't remember for sure. Most aftermarket alloy wheels are absolute junk, unless you step up into the $250+ range per wheel. They are heavy and weak. All the original OE Volvo wheels are curb rashed or bent. To each his own.

OE Volvo wheels > cheap aftermarket. Keyword cheap.

You can find good OE alloy wheels super affordable. Just be patient.

But really BBS RS or Crush.

14s are meant for rollers and snows, unless you have hub caps. I?m with Roy on the 15s.
Personal favorite is 16x7 OEM steelies that are flipped and welded. Takes about an hour per wheel once you get it down.

29789439848_17ae306776.jpg

Last edited:
In the politically correct land of oversized suvs with crxxppy drivers, all season tires, no sandbags and "We better put salt or we might not get full funding next winter" and road repair excuses by local bureaucraps that would make Lenin look tame ...there's wisdom in having a tire with more air to deal with the "Pot-Hole Heaven" ...so 14" with 185/75 or 195/65-70 in da hinter monthes is accepted, there fore to those few 240 drivers left around the rust belt....the 14" wheel still may have redeeming value to some

Back