• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

205/60/r15 Tire Suggestions

daniels740

So I was hoping you guys could save me money + point me in the right direction as a newbie to the tire game.

I need 205/60/r15 tires, so what are your suggestions for some decent, long lasting tires that won't break the bank? I also would like to get an alignment with that so shop suggestions in Hollywood, FL 33020 would also be nice.

I'm hoping for complete tire installation and alignment at about $450 and under.

This is all for a 89 740 Turbo sedan.
Thanks in advance.

For the price, I haven't found any summers better than Firehawk Indy 500. They've been lasting pretty good, too.
EDIT: misread that as 16s, I doubt they offer them in that size.

Michelin Premier is the way to go, as Halard said.

Last edited:
A few years ago (about a decade ago), 205/60R15 tire options were much better. Unlike now, where it has become a touring tire size, meant for '90s Toyota Camry sedans, etc. 195/65R15 has somewhat better choices and is the same diameter as 205/60R15. IIRC, stock size for a 1985-89 740 Turbo is 195/60R15, so you might also look into the 205/55R15 size, which seems to have quite a few decent performance-oriented tires available. Speedometer will read slightly higher, due to the diameter being smaller and closer to the stock size diameter.

The other option is to go to 16" rims and run some 205/55R16 tires. Did that on both of my 240 Turbos. Won't look back.

A few years ago (about a decade ago), 205/60R15 tire options were much better. Unlike now, where it has become a touring tire size, meant for '90s Toyota Camry sedans, etc. 195/65R15 has somewhat better choices and is the same diameter as 205/60R15. IIRC, stock size for a 1985-89 740 Turbo is 195/60R15, so you might also look into the 205/55R15 size, which seems to have quite a few decent performance-oriented tires available. Speedometer will read slightly higher, due to the diameter being smaller and closer to the stock size diameter.

The other option is to go to 16" rims and run some 205/55R16 tires. Did that on both of my 240 Turbos. Won't look back.

Bemoan that fact all you want but a good modern GT tire will absolutely eat whatever top of the line 1990s high performance rubber's lunch in terms of grip and handling.

Cheap out and get some Cosmo RC-17 or Ironman iMove Gen2, they're about $70/tire. They last a surprisingly long time on the drift car.

Just this morning I ordered Kumho Solus from Walmart in 205/60/15 at $57 a piece. Normally they are close to $70 and on my 940 wagon they are fine for about 50K miles.

Last edited:
Just this morning I ordered Kumho Solus from Walmart in 205/60/15 at $57 a piece. Normally they are close to $70 and on my 940 wagon they are fine for about 50K miles.

Seems good, where do you get them installed; just a small local shop or something like Goodyear?

Normally I used Walmart Tire Center to do the install/balance for about $16 each. I may just wait for them to reopen or use some local shop.

Do they do a good job? I thought about using them but I don't want a vibrating back massage whenever I'm on the highway :lol:

Last year I did what 242 John suggested and shopped 205/55-15. I got them from a local tire place at four tires mounted, balanced, with new valve stems for $420. Nitto NT450. They have been lasting fine, weren't very good in cold weather like I expected. But overall a good tire. I would get them again. After using both the 205-60 and 205-55 I prefer the 55 series tire.

Last year I did what 242 John suggested and shopped 205/55-15. I got them from a local tire place at four tires mounted, balanced, with new valve stems for $420. Nitto NT450. They have been lasting fine, weren't very good in cold weather like I expected. But overall a good tire. I would get them again. After using both the 205-60 and 205-55 I prefer the 55 series tire.

I guess I could call around various shops and see what they have to offer. I don't know how many offer 205-55s but it sure won't hurt to look around. Thanks for the tip.

Do they do a good job? I thought about using them but I don't want a vibrating back massage whenever I'm on the highway :lol:

Depends on the person doing the job.
I usually just drop off the wheel and let them change the tire- I don't want them to have the whole car after they busted the wheel stud and didn't pay attention to the position of the wheel locating pin. Still I can trust them with remounting of the generic tire and balance.

I usually just drop off the wheel and let them change the tire- I don't want them to have the whole car after they busted the wheel stud and didn't pay attention to the position of the wheel locating pin. Still I can trust them with remounting of the generic tire and balance.

:nod:

Never let the tire monkeys touch your car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm with Harald on this one if you don't want a 'performance' tire go Michelin all the way.

A bit more money up front but it's hard to beat $ per mile ratio.

Yeah... I think I'll find a small shop with good prices and reviews. It's always nice to patronize them rather than the big-box shops

Fla. has Discount America's Tire, my go to tire source.

Check out their site, plug in your requirements there and make an informed decision.

Me, I like Yokohamas.

Back