• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Very unhappy with turbobricks TAB tool

xDread92x

In just one job the bolt and nut threads are done and the tool wont actually “press” when it comes time. After starting on my second job I was barely able to remove the first but got it. Now after 4 hours of just trying the second one, when it comes time to press the nut and bolt wont even turn, even with a 2 foot breaker bar!

This is ridiculous and has wasted my day. I shouldn’t have to spend time trying to find a replacement bolt and nut after one trailing arm bushing job.

Do the hardware stores even carry an 8” grade 8 bolt. Lowes gave me a galvanized steel 8” that snapped right in the middle after little pressure

The holes on mine weren't centered. So it didn't work for removal of bushing. I sawzalled old bushing out. It works for pressing in bushing. You only need 1/2 to 3/4 inches of movement. I hope the oe tool works better.

Its the tool being sold on here. I bought it last year. It worked great for the first job. I also remove the metal centers of the old bushing to ensure centering of bolt. The bolt just cant handle several uses. The second half of the bolts threads are screwed. Everything lubed and proper. I know how to do this job right the first time.

I dont know if lowes carrys the grade 8 fine thread bolt. They claim they dont. If I have to order and wait for one ill be furious for sure.

Just for your information. The center bolt on my genuine volvo tool is considered the 'consumable' part of the tool. When the bolt on mine broke I got a new one from Baum tools. That is when I found out the bolt is the wear item on this tool. With plenty of penetrating oil on the bushing for a few days and then the tool well greased I haven't broken a bolt in a long time.

Just for your information. The center bolt on my genuine volvo tool is considered the 'consumable' part of the tool. When the bolt on mine broke I got a new one from Baum tools. That is when I found out the bolt is the wear item on this tool. With plenty of penetrating oil on the bushing for a few days and then the tool well greased I haven't broken a bolt in a long time.

The bolt wearing down is a given. I have used the homemade press at least 6 times and my bolt is good(I've forgotten about greasing it a few times and it still worked, well for pressing bushing in).

Did you grease the threads up on the bolt and nut before you started?
I'm on 3(?) sets of TABs with the DIY tool that's being sold here. I just use moly grease on the threads, and I even use it with my big air impact for instant gratification and fear.

Depends on the kind of grease. Some are rated for high pressures and should not squeeze out, others are not. Detailed specs should be available online. I think most of the "extreme pressure" greases have moly(bdenum disulfide) in em.

Did you grease the threads up on the bolt and nut before you started?
I'm on 3(?) sets of TABs with the DIY tool that's being sold here. I just use moly grease on the threads, and I even use it with my big air impact for instant gratification and fear.

You have it. Noted.

Here's the bolt from McMaster... Love that place
And the nut...

My OEM tool died on the first try fully lubbed and with bushing shells soaked overnight. Goes to show you never know...

I have 49 of those nuts in a dusty box.

I found uses for about half of them over the years. Here's where at least six of them went.

align9509.jpg

align9516.jpg

For OP, +1 on grease, and I think maybe forgo the impact tool on this.

Back