• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Car Audio- School Me

CaliMeatWagon

Cause of Head Scratching
1991 745

I really do not know much of anything about car audio. But, I want to upgrade my car's system. All the speakers are over 30 years old and one of them is blown. Right now I have the rear door speakers (5.25"?) and dash speakers (3.5"?). What I want to do is add a speakers to the front door and replace the existing. So four 5.25"?'s and two 3.5"?'s. As it sits right now, I want to keep the stock head unit, if at all possible.

So school me. What do I need to make this happen? What equipment and specs should I look for? What are the stock specs? Do I need to replace the stock amp (if I have it), or can I use it?

I have an all stock setup, though it is the 760 deluxe setup, other than new speakers and sub's in the rear, and I am overall very happy with it. Nice and loud, and get to keep using my tapes. The only upgrade I look at doing is putting a 850 radio in, so I can get CD as well as tapes. Unless you are looking to spend a good amount on a radio, I think a Bluetooth mod on the stock radio will perform and look better thank any aftermarket under 150 bucks

I replaced 4 door speakers with 5.25" Scosche from Walmart. Added foam buffles behind them. Anything modern is better than old paper cones, not using the dash tweeters.

Do you think you can hear a difference between "okay" speakers and "great" speakers? Personally I can't so I'd just be happy with something affordable that fits in the stock location with minimal fuss. 30 years of technology and no broken parts will already be a very nice upgrade.

Do you think you can hear a difference between "okay" speakers and "great" speakers? Personally I can't so I'd just be happy with something affordable that fits in the stock location with minimal fuss. 30 years of technology and no broken parts will already be a very nice upgrade.
I can. But there's diminishing returns and old volvos don't have the best speaker set-ups.

By far, adding a subwoofer (powered by a separate amp) to the car made the most impactful change to my (at the time daily driver 240) car's soundsystem than any other purchase... fancy headunit, fancy speakers, etc. Granted, having a headunit with the preamp outputs was helpful.

I picked up the cheapest non-powered box that Crutchfield sold and an old Kenwood amp I bought from someone on Tb and threw them in the trunk. Spent as little as possible on the requisite higher gauge wiring and fuse... probably from walmart.

It was like hearing music for the first time... or like finally learning that guacamole comes from avocados.... or just learning how to spell avocados correctly.

Last edited:
For now, I just wanted to do something something for the doors and dash, replacing what is already there. I was looking on Crutchfield and I came up with this. Should this work with the stock head unit?

5-1/4"
3-1/2"

Speakers.PNG

Mine is simmilar, but much more room in a 700, so i have standard subs, and mounted to the board that folds, with a whole lotta holes drilled to let the sound through.

Show us... lol

Same car I have - 91 745. I did 5 1/4s in all the doors, and running 4x 8" in the rear. simple 5 channel Amp is mounted on the tray. I ran all new wires for speakers to the doors. didnt have any color matched black carpet when i did this along time ago...

P3140062.jpg

P4100254.jpg

P5210077.jpg

P5240109.jpg

P6020002.jpg

Same car I have - 91 745. I did 5 1/4s in all the doors, and running 4x 8" in the rear. simple 5 channel Amp is mounted on the tray. I ran all new wires for speakers to the doors. didnt have any color matched black carpet when i did this along time ago...

View attachment 25928

View attachment 25924

View attachment 25925

View attachment 25926

View attachment 25927

Did you trim the 8's, or did they come with that?

Ya'll got me thinking about subs now... I was messing around in Fusion and here is the idea I had for a custom box.

This would stop short of the 3 inches below the window, right were the upper bar of the interior molding is:
1 10"
image.png

2 8"s
image.png

This one goes all the way up to the window:
1 10"
image.png

2 8"s
image.png

Back