• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hepu water pump early failure

hessam69

So my 940 water pump started leaking from the bottom. It was fitted 2020, 18,000 kilometres ago.

Found no movement in the bearing. Removed it, and saw the impeller had contacted the housing and removed material. What seems to have happened is the shaft has moved inward, reducing the gap between the impeller. This caused friction, which generated heat, which blew the seal. I could also hear a screech sound upon engine shutdown.

I am now trying a GMB (made in Thailand) pump. Quite cheaper than Hepu pump too.

The Graff pumps are a good quality pump. I have heard of quite a few early failures of the Hepu pumps over the last 4-5 years. I know I replaced a very low miles Hepu pump 3-4 years ago. I think every manufacturer on the planet is dealing with quality issues these days. I have used countless GMB pumps without a single failure.

At one time we were using original Volvo water pumps on the pushrod engines assuming they were the highest quality. After the flange, pulley and fan came off and went into the radiator on a customer's car who was half way to Colorado and we had to pay for repairs we started using GMB water pumps exclusively and haven't had a problem since.

Didn't have problems with HEPU, I am on my second one now. First lasted over 60K miles and was only replaced because of the top O-ring leak. So far got about 70K miles on my second one installed over 3 years ago, the top O-ring starts to seep a little when cold.

I put in a cheapo unbranded water pump (with cast impeller) on the first timing belt I did on my 940 (it came with the car as spare when I bought it and it was an unbranded box) and it lasted without a single issue for more than 150,000 km's (yes, I might have slightly overshot the timing belt interval...).
I put a HEPU pump in last year when changing the belt, crossing fingers it holds that long again.
YMMV

Didn't have problems with HEPU, I am on my second one now. First lasted over 60K miles and was only replaced because of the top O-ring leak. So far got about 70K miles on my second one installed over 3 years ago, the top O-ring starts to seep a little when cold.
That is usually where they leak, prematurely. I'm guessing it is the crappy surface finish. The Hepu I replaced somewhat recently leaked at the pump/head o-ring after ~ 20K miles. I expect a redblock water pump to last 150K miles just like the original pumps Volvo installed at the factory lasted. My Ford F250 7.5 V8 pump lasted 290,000 miles. The pump on my other 7.5 is at 175,000 miles and working fine. I'm going to replace it before this race season because changing one of those pumps is a 3-4 hour job. I'd hate to have to do it on the side of the road on a long haul trip.

I usually buy the Volvo gaskets and orings as I've had early failure of the Hepu oring on the head. But the pumps for me usually last about 75-80k miles with lots of local driving. I've also used the Gates pump which seemed decent for the money.

I don't trust the aftermarket o-rings. I always buy the Volvo ones, they don't harden as quickly which helps them stay reliably sealed.

Back