• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1-4-3 fault code

ChristianFlores

Hi everyone!
Well, today there was a hell of a rain in my south american country, so my non turbo 1992 Volvo 940 (Regina Bendix) decided to give me a Check Engine light that very moment and the car started to underperforming. Luckily, I could arrive at home alive and checked the fault codes in the port number 6 and it gave me 1-4-3 : faulty knock sensor.

Here's my question:
How can I test that sensor? Is it only the sensor's fault? Is it urgent to buy a new sensor? Can I still use my car in that condition until a new sensor arrives from USA? (It usually takes 3 weeks to arrive)

Not 100% sure with regina, but typically that just retards timing around 10°. You should be safe to drive, though it will not be quick to accelerate. Just keep an ear on your engine for any pinging while waiting for the new one

If accessible, I'd unplug the knock sensor and dry out the connectors. The knock sensor itself is hard to test, but it's unlikely that it failed. Maybe just wait a couple days for the whole car to dry out and try again?

Thank you for the help. Now I'm concerned about the sound of the engine. Please could you tell me for the sound if the engine it's knocking?

Not 100% sure with regina, but typically that just retards timing around 10°. You should be safe to drive, though it will not be quick to accelerate. Just keep an ear on your engine for any pinging while waiting for the new one

To be it just sounds like valve tick, what oil do you use? Again, I wouldn't be worried. But hopefully another person can give a second opinion

Back