• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 AC retrofit / install in non-AC car

Fa182

Stage 1
My 97 940 does not have AC from factory (in Europe they were not standard equipment, unlike the US I believe).
I have MS so I don't really like high temperatures since my (luckily small) symptoms can easily intensify and my Midnight blue car is obviously not the best for this...

Anyway, has anyone ever installed AC in a non-AC car and can guide me through what I need (parts-wise)?
I can always look in the parts catalogue but I know next to nothing about AC systems, so I'm a bit lost in the terminology sometimes.

Is that something that can be done or should I forget it right away?

I am aware and expecting that this could be quite a lot of work (under dash etc.), but if it's not too hard and just labour intensive, I could just start to assemble the parts I need and start working on it.

All I know is that it would be easiest to find the manually controlled version, since I have the most basic control panel in my car right now (cable controlled, not even a recirc function).

Thanks.

The manual controls would probably be easier to find in a 740. Should fit just fine. Get one from after they started using r134a refridgerant since those systems are more efficient, and the local garage can service it legally.

If you get one from an r12 car it will have to be refit to r134 and then the components will be undersized since r12 is a more efficient gas.

Thanks for the links, good read and learned some more about the terminology.

Still hoping there's someone around on here who installed AC in a 7/9 and can give some insight.

Shouldn’t be *too* hard as I don’t think it’s like a euro 240 with the ‘basic’ heater box w/single squirrel cage blower & the a/c, when installed, was an add-on unit like the -‘72 140s…

UK 7/9s were more 50/50 for a/c or not & often came more optioned out, but right hand drive.

Is the sheetmetal cut in the firewall there or is there a cover plate for the evap?
I’ve only ever seen one gray market euro 7/9 w/manual windows & no a/c.
Climate control electronics & vacuum actuated flaps looked much the same, I think even the box for where the evap would go was the same just didn’t contain an evaporator?

Idk if the wiring sub harness or plugs is there for the compressor, pressure switches & pusher fan (if late enough).

Most euro 1992+ non a/c cars retained the mechanical engine cooling fan.
We got the wider radiator & more efficient a/c condenser starting in 1992 w/electric primary puller fan controlled by the fuel ecu if Bosch LH, or push-in switch on the passenger radiator end tank if Bendix rex/Regina FI.

The PRV fan shroud I *think* can be made to work with the redblock in 7/9s w/wider radiator & mech primary fan (I remember back-dating a 1992+ car once (I don’t like the electric fan for turbo car heat soak), but I had to use the larger PRV fan blade, but clutch from the 4cylinder car iirc? I forget now what I recombined for make that work exactly w/the wide 1992+ or V6/diesel width radiator? ) since the fan is centered & radiator offset to the passenger side somewhat on 7/9s & 700Turbo the fan shroud is more straight-on vs. the offset 240 Fan shroud & more centered radiator, If that makes sense?

1992+ usa turbo models have electric primary puller fan use the v6/diesel width radiator, but in addition it is also deeper & hangs down /protrudes below the rad support more & has a different air guide that clips to the bottom of the radiator as well…I *think* the rubber mountings for the wide radiator are the same on 7/9s whether it has the taller 1992+ usa turbo radiator or just the wider but shorter radiator?

The 1992+ USA 7/9 turbo radiator is more easily dented/damaged so I’m sort of ambivalent on that, but it does make sense for use with the water/oil heat exchanger for the oil cooler function & *trying* to deal with heat soak on a turbo intercooler car prone to it w/the a/c on in hot climates with an electric fan that only runs some of the time…

2 pressure switches for the puller fan on the condenser, brown pressure switch for fan speed 1, gray? Pressure switch For fan speed 2 on the single primary puller efan cars.
Low pressure switch on the accumulator cycles the compressor clutch on & off.

Which style of climate control panel do you have in the dash?

Surely, some French of Italian market fully loaded euro cars got a/c & 1993+ R134a?
There are a couple French & Italian guys on here with fully loaded 940s in a warmer part of Europe…

I’ve definitely installed a/c in:
‘Basic’ cable climate control 240
-‘72 140
‘Deluxe’ climate control 240.
r134a system in a -‘92 R12 7/9, but all the 7/9s we got came with air that I’m aware of other than the 1 stripper gray market ‘85? (Or so?) 740 that hit our junkyards with manual windows/no air. Didn’t examine it closely for all the differences for climate control tho…

I’d imagine 7/9 it’s pretty straight forward as the euro 91+ ‘Manual’ climate control 940s have the plug for it under the dash it looks like , just a blank & lack of a ‘a/c off’ or ‘snowflake logo’ a/c button.

Heater box looks much the same, the a/c evap on the GM/Harrison system the evap lives on the passenger side of the car & its outlets stick upwards thru the firewall there.
I *think* that euro 740 had the same shaped box, just absent the evap.
&, obviously the -‘90 style manual climate control electrics & vacuum bits & dash on that single no-air car I saw, but whatever.

Does your car have either a passenger (or driver side) SRS airbag? Passenger was federal mandate after 1994 here; one of the reasons they killed off the 240; couldn’t figure out how to redesign & reinforce the dash for passenger SRS airbag & still have a glove compartment cost effectively…

Unlike the 240s where basically every option involves another stand-alone overlay harness in a 1960s-1970s car that they sold a basic version of with basically no options right up to the bitter end (Some markets even carb/diesel, 1 dash speaker AM radio, no anti-lock brakes, no airbag, 4-speed manual, manual steering etc etc (tho ‘89 is last year or them being that stripped of options in most of Europe/home market), 7/9s are more like 850s where there’s often an unused plug or bit on the centrally located fuse block that you have to find the jumper or sub harness or relevant option for the year or car from a similar safety/road regulations car to plug stuff into (like a french, Italian or German market car probably, in your case? Idk how that works there tho?).

Most AUS cars had as many or more options than we did except some early 240s there…

To my knowledge, all markets & years 7/9s have the GM/Harrison CCOT system unlike USA 240s that only got that at the last minute starting in 1991.
The 7/9s were even more American market oriented than 140/240s for safety & sprawling sunbelt cities w/air.
No more foot vents & having the car be not too noisy with the windows down, but still have external drip rails & usable cargo bay unlike P80s…
I can imagine sourcing a GM/Harrison a/c system would make the option costly/expensive in Europe, however…

Euro 240s it was often a stand alone primitive under dash unit…

In summary, mechanically, it’s probably going to be tedious/take a ton of time, but fairly straight forward; same GM Harrison system & evap all years basically under the dash, same plug 1991+ for ‘manual’ (manually selected 3 knob vacuum style, but no auto temp & air distribution) climate control).

Electrically, getting the right relay into the main relay block as close to factory appearance as possible might not be so straight forward with the appropriate pin terminal tools etc?

1995+ (only? In the USA market/last year of redblocks for us), the 7/9 a/c + alt engine accessory bracket/tensioner arms are a little sturdier if I remember well? Something about the tensioners & those stupid rubber bushings is less janky than usual but I’m drawing a blank on exactly what?

You’ll need that of course as you just have the alt by it’s lonesome self on the driver side there iirc. I think the alt + wires reach & are the same lengths a/c or not back when I used to look at the tiny number tags in pics on the alt ground wire on euro 940s to see the differences…

Last edited:
I did this many years ago to a 91 Civic Wagon that did not come with AC from factory. The best advice is find a donor car with all the hard lines and components in it, it's costs much less and you can see how it's installed. Very straight forward, you got this

Is the sheetmetal cut in the firewall there or is there a cover plate for the evap?
I would like to believe so, since there is only one part no. for the firewall in the catalogue.

Climate control electronics & vacuum actuated flaps looked much the same, I think even the box for where the evap would go was the same just didn?t contain an evaporator?
It is a different unit.

Manual non-AC:
GR-55179_20.png

Manual AC:
GR-58600_24.png

Idk if the wiring sub harness or plugs is there for the compressor, pressure switches & pusher fan (if late enough).
Good point, the parts catalogue does indeed specify different part numbers for the LH engine wiring harness for AC (9442228) and non-AC (9442226).
There also seems to be a separate small "fuse cable" harness p/n 3544840

Most euro 1992+ non a/c cars retained the mechanical engine cooling fan.
We got the wider radiator & more efficient a/c condenser starting in 1992 w/electric primary puller fan controlled by the fuel ecu if Bosch LH, or push-in switch on the passenger radiator end tank if Bendix rex/Regina FI.
Yes, I do have a mechanical fan and would need to switch to an e-fan setup along with different radiator and connecting parts.

Which style of climate control panel do you have in the dash?
Manual cable controlled - 3522573
l26843a.jpg

Surely, some French of Italian market fully loaded euro cars got a/c & 1993+ R134a?
There are a couple French & Italian guys on here with fully loaded 940s in a warmer part of Europe?
Not only there, my car is imported from Germany and albeit usually considered an option, AC was indeed quite common back then.
It's just that the first owner of my car cheaped out on everything and didn't get a single extra.
Meaning I just have the basic version with manual windows, no AC etc., I did however install cruise control, keyless entry with factory parts afterwards and everything was prewired on my later 97 model, so it was just plug and play.

Does your car have either a passenger (or driver side) SRS airbag?
I do, it was mandatory in 1997 to have driver and passenger airbags.

7/9s are more like 850s where there?s often an unused plug or bit on the centrally located fuse block that you have to find the jumper or sub harness or relevant option for the year or car from a similar safety/road regulations car to plug stuff into (like a french, Italian or German market car probably, in your case? Idk how that works there tho?).
From my findings and research, Volvo used one single dashboard harness from circa 1997- onwards regardless of the actual equipment installed.
I do have some unused connectors hanging behind the dash, for example the ones for car phone etc.

In summary, mechanically, it?s probably going to be tedious/take a ton of time, but fairly straight forward

That's exactly what I'm trying to find out.

Thanks for your reply!

Old thread and prolly OBE by now……but I installed A/C from a donor from a junkyard into an 85 740T sedan about 20 years ago that only had manual heater controls. Everything was a direct fit including mounting holes and even partial harnesses that plugged In. I would investigate if you have unused harness plugs under the dash to determine how much of the donor harness you will need.
see if you can find a donor from close to the same year and grab it complete. Green book wiring manual will be super useful.
These cars were designed to be plug and play back in the day.

Back