• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Help fixing rust in rear of 1992 740

chronicrhythm

I have a 92 740 that is in very clean shape except for two spot in the back where the spare tire is. Not even sure what to call this area and can’t really see why it is rotting like it is. I’ve attached photos of it to hopefully get a clearer idea of it. One first picture is of the drivers side, second is passenger side, and 3rd is passenger side underneath. Anyone fix or encounter this before? Thanks. I try not to drive it in the winter anymore because of these spots.IMG_1326.jpegIMG_1324.jpegIMG_1327.jpeg

it's probably because the rear of the car floods from the drains. but it looks rusty enough that water might also be seeping in through the rust.

Have you looked under the battery? If that is rusty more than likely you need to fix the metal under the battery, too.
Yeah that is a little rusty there as well but not bad. I tried to remove the rust under the battery and paint it to keep it from getting worse but I think next winter I’ll do some body work to it. The car just hit 274k!

Knock all that rust out with a hammer and slather everything with por15.
It will just keep spreading otherwise

Back