• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Run out of shock thread on rear BC coilovers?

bigbuilder

Hi Everyone,

I know its torture to talk about BC coilovers....

I am working on my sons car and we have installed a set.

Fronts seemed to go swimmingly. Rears not so much.

Trying to set preload but I seem to have run out of thread on the shock body before I can get near 5 or 6 mm.

These are 285-4kg springs in the rear. Springs set to full low.

Still have a little bit of negative preload on them...

Has anyone run into this.

Preload is a myth. Set the shock so that when the rear is at resting ride height you have 60% of the shock travel in compression and 40% in rebound.

LOL Ok I will do that. I tried to read everything I could find on this before I posted. But didnt find anything.

Funny thing is I have ordered lower springs for this because the 285-4kg ones that came with the set are not much lower than stock height at their lowest setting. So not sure if the lower springs will even be possible.

Does this become the point where new spring mounts or shock mounts need to be made?

If you can't get the shock in that range of safe range of motion with the spring that BC supplied then I'd notify them and ask them to fix the problem. I've seen this before with cheap and poorly designed coilovers on BMW's which also have a rear spring separate from the shock and it blows out the shock and rips the upper mount right out of the body.

The shocks you get with BC coilovers on rwd bricks are pretty shitty. Almost no range. Here is a comparisonwith 40mm shortened GAZ shocks:

2pMxDjL.jpeg

Q8y4pxH.jpeg

Only problem with non-adjustable shocks is that you cant lock in your springs at full droop or set any preload.
Preload is a myth.

Lol what?

So what I did was I threaded the shock all the way in. As short as the shock will go. Spring has no preload but is also not loose. I guess I do t have any choice right? Unless there are other adjustable shocks that would work better?

Back