Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   projects & restorations (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Hackster's LSA / T56 2 door (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=341261)

brendon_ak 10-22-2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster (Post 6122486)
All of the above. Been commuting on a 1x11 and single speed cross bike. Lots of miles of double track and some single track on the mountain bike. Currently riding a hardtail 29er.

Hit me up if you ever want to ride. I am too old and beat up for Downhill stuff but I am good for 25 miles on the mountain bike and 50 or so on the road or cross bike.

Sean

Hell yeah dude, moving to Hood River next year, lets ride Post Canyon.

Any interest in racing at PIR on Tuesdays?

hackster 12-11-2020 01:28 PM

Its been well over a year since this car has seen any use and its just holding down my gararge floor at this point. I started it up probably 3 months ago but it hasnt even moved in at least 6 months. I havent been in the garage in 7 months so it doesnt even get dirty in there.

I have been into cars my entire adult life with an occasional break for like a month or 2 here or there where I am burned out.

This is different, maybe its me getting older but I just dont have the passion for this that I used to. People have changed, the car world has changed. There are very few people around me that are still building stuff. Things just arent the same as they used to be and that isnt just due to Covid.

I am not really ready to sell it yet for some reason but I am getting close. I would rather have someone enjoy it than for it to sit around for another year as I dont see myself using it anytime soon.

On a good note I have been back on the bike for a good solid 6 months now. Cross Country on the 29er, commuting just about everyday on a REN and doing lots of gravel rides on a Bianchi Allroad. Been getting right around 650 miles a month and just passed 100,000 ft of climbing so pretty solid numbers.

I hope that all my Turbobrick friends are doing well through this insane year and have a good holiday.

Sean

Texas240 12-11-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster (Post 6136980)
Its been well over a year since this car has seen any use and its just holding down my gararge floor at this point. I started it up probably 3 months ago but it hasnt even moved in at least 6 months. I havent been in the garage in 7 months so it doesnt even get dirty in there.

I have been into cars my entire adult life with an occasional break for like a month or 2 here or there where I am burned out.

This is different, maybe its me getting older but I just dont have the passion for this that I used to. People have changed, the car world has changed. There are very few people around me that are still building stuff. Things just arent the same as they used to be and that isnt just due to Covid.

I am not really ready to sell it yet for some reason but I am getting close. I would rather have someone enjoy it than for it to sit around for another year as I dont see myself using it anytime soon.

On a good note I have been back on the bike for a good solid 6 months now. Cross Country on the 29er, commuting just about everyday on a REN and doing lots of gravel rides on a Bianchi Allroad. Been getting right around 650 miles a month and just passed 100,000 ft of climbing so pretty solid numbers.

I hope that all my Turbobrick friends are doing well through this insane year and have a good holiday.

Sean

Same affect here. I barely drive my wagon enough that the battery doesn't get a full charge to work and back. I've had my LSA swap sitting on the shelf for 3 years now that I'll probably never get too. Ive been putting all my effort into my 9 month old, work and staying away from getting Covid. I had the thought of selling the wagon and getting a MGB GT and doing a Sebring Kit and a VR6 swap.

NONHOG 12-12-2020 05:48 PM

650/month! That's great. I think I'm at 6. lol
LMK if/when you sell, never know?

LC4CARL 12-12-2020 11:39 PM

Happy holidays Sean.

Duder 12-14-2020 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster (Post 6136980)

Hey Sean, I read this and thought "hey, I know exactly what he means." I think this is a common thread among a bunch of my different gearhead friends...even though we all have more idle time this year, maybe we've realized that wrenching on project cars isn't the be-all/end-all activity for every spare moment. I can say I have made progress here and there but have definitely reprioritized family, physical health, and mental health over car projects. My own 242 now has a stone dead battery from sitting under cover for so much of the year.

Hope you have a good holiday season, and keep up the bike riding - nice work!

-Chris

2turbotoys 12-15-2020 12:11 AM

Hope you find the spark again, very cool build. I just picture myself driving in it, laying some rubber, listening to the motor, helps me out.

patrickstar 12-15-2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duder (Post 6137950)
Hey Sean, I read this and thought "hey, I know exactly what he means." I think this is a common thread among a bunch of my different gearhead friends...even though we all have more idle time this year, maybe we've realized that wrenching on project cars isn't the be-all/end-all activity for every spare moment. I can say I have made progress here and there but have definitely reprioritized family, physical health, and mental health over car projects. My own 242 now has a stone dead battery from sitting under cover for so much of the year.

Hope you have a good holiday season, and keep up the bike riding - nice work!

-Chris

Reassuring to hear from others, I feel like I'm just going through the motions with my project car at this point. Just trying to make any forward movement...

Its a ****ty year for everyone

Stiggy Pop 12-15-2020 09:00 AM

I've been taking a break from cars and have found enjoyment in applying the skills I learned through car builds to different disciplines.

Duder 12-16-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop (Post 6138006)
I've been taking a break from cars and have found enjoyment in applying the skills I learned through car builds to different disciplines.

Like building a super rad deck? :oogle:

slow240 12-17-2020 07:44 AM

Yeah I'm selling all my redblock junk and getting something reliable, I can't find the time or energy anymore. And I'm not even 30.

Someday I'll be back into projects, but for now it feels like the right move.

Good luck and stay safe

Stiggy Pop 12-17-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duder (Post 6138311)
Like building a super rad deck? :oogle:

haha yes exactly! I kept wondering if regular carpenters use Mitutoyo calipers on their deck as much as I did :lol:

PaddyGarcia 12-17-2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow240 (Post 6138566)
Yeah I'm selling all my redblock junk and getting something reliable, I can't find the time or energy anymore. And I'm not even 30.

Someday I'll be back into projects, but for now it feels like the right move.

Good luck and stay safe

Time and energy come and go, it's good not to be a slave to your hobby.

After a lifetime of futzing with cars I spent a few years sick of car projects - oddly, I had the least interest in them when I worked for a Large European Carmaker. Over a few years though I shed a couple of albatross projects, and with less unfinished stuff hanging over my head started having more fun. Took some interesting side quests along the way with electronics and house projects, and now @ mid-50s back with an Amazon project that's stretching into stuff I've never done before.

Additional lesson learned - simplify, but not too much. Once the 'cuda sold I gave most of my SAE, carb, and timing tools to a friend of a friend starting a shop in Ghana. That was important, but it turns out I wasn't done with SAE hardware, carbs, and distributors...