• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Opinions on NA build vs turbo build: B23F/M46

ogamer777

New North Winchestersonville (PNW 425 gang)
I recently redid all the suspension on the 84 242 I have with Kaplhenke stuff; so spherical bushings all over the place, coilovers, adjustable rear spring perch...basically the whole catalog. Well now I am remembering how slow the car is. I want to introduce more power to it. I plan to track it in some way. What can provide some decent power? I would like to aim for somewhere in the 250-300+HP range at the end of the day. Just wanted to get some opinions on what some of you guys have done. All of my other turbo cars have been KJet, in fact, this is my only LHjet car I have owned.

220-250hp NA is about $2-2.5k in parts and machine work if you’re going with all new stuff.
300hp is an Evo 8v, which was $14k used the last time I saw one for sale. It did include the ITBs, ECU, and drysump system.

So why TF do people piss on itb's when the Evo kit uses them?

I'm gonna say that ITBs on a stock head and cam are basically useless, that's why. There will be some gain, but unless they're properly sized/tuned for the intake tract and have MANY breathing mods...the benefit will be small. The Evo 8v needs ITBs to breathe properly.

Yes, def update.

For an 84, it is probably easiest to convert to LH2.2 & EZ-117K. You can buy a wiring harness from Dave Barton.

LH2.4 + EZ-116K is newer and handles modifications better, but is a bit more involved to retrofit to a car that did not come that way originally (crank position sensor, VSS signal).

Last edited:
So why TF do people piss on itb's when the Evo kit uses them?

See below

I'm gonna say that ITBs on a stock head and cam are basically useless, that's why. There will be some gain, but unless they're properly sized/tuned for the intake tract and have MANY breathing mods...the benefit will be small. The Evo 8v needs ITBs to breathe properly.

Bingo. Most people don't go with the proper supporting modifications and tuning to take advantage of the side drafts or ITBs.

With ITBs, they are definitely more challenging to tune for driveability with most ECUs. Wide open tuning is the easy part. Part throttle and just off idle is a pain.

Side-draft carbs can be pretty easy to drive around town when on a proper setup.

Idk my lemons wagon with lh 2.0 and rsi cam and t5 is a hoot to drive and im not complaining. Even has the chrysler ignition still. It wasnt the slowest volvo on the track ill say that.
Turbo is turbo. NA with some upgrades is pretty fun tho. No its not 300hp but still fun to drive for what it is.
Just depends what you want out of the car pretty much. A t5 is so much fun to shift though. But i do love my high comp b23 and m46 in one of my driver cars. 2.0 with 2.2 maf conversion and chrysler ignition, 3.54 axle. That thing pulls like a freight train. M cam too lol.
Step one swap cam.

Turbo, get a little one for a nice not peaky powerband and cut the cost of the rest of the motor build in half (or fourths) to reach 250hp

Idk my lemons wagon with lh 2.0 and rsi cam and t5 is a hoot to drive and im not complaining. Even has the chrysler ignition still. It wasnt the slowest volvo on the track ill say that.
Turbo is turbo. NA with some upgrades is pretty fun tho. No its not 300hp but still fun to drive for what it is.
Just depends what you want out of the car pretty much. A t5 is so much fun to shift though. But i do love my high comp b23 and m46 in one of my driver cars. 2.0 with 2.2 maf conversion and chrysler ignition, 3.54 axle. That thing pulls like a freight train. M cam too lol.
Step one swap cam.

Ethan's car is basically the same as your daily, but with the "846" block, so the cast crank/piston low compression B23F that has the more aggressive advance curve Chrysler box instead of the relatively tame box of the high compression engines. 3.31 was swapped out for a 3.54 in 2017. Exhaust is already turbo compatible, being a 2.5" system with Magnaflow in the stock rear location.

-J

Back