• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Putting a b230ft into a GLE wagon - radiators are different?

will740turbo

Hey, turdbo folks.

I'm assembling my L-block after getting it back from the machine shop, and looking ahead.

The car it's going into is an 89 GLE, and the radiator is only about 18", along with the fan shroud. I know I'm going to need some parts, and I saved a lot from my totaled car, but not the radiator. I don't think I have the shroud anywhere.

Anyone done a swap like this? I wouldn't mind going to an electric fan, but wasn't planning on it right now. I know I'm going to need a new PS pump pressure and return line, but I'm sure there will be some aggravating surprises.

What's with the little radiator in this car? Is it from the 16V POS engine, or the year?

Do you have a donor car you can source parts from? IIRC the earlier 740 radiator isn't as long as the late 740/940... but should still be fine for turbo use. I had an 88 740 GLE that I did a +T swap with and it never had cooling issues.

Do you have a donor car you can source parts from? IIRC the earlier 740 radiator isn't as long as the late 740/940... but should still be fine for turbo use. I had an 88 740 GLE that I did a +T swap with and it never had cooling issues.

I don't have one anymore. I crashed my 90 740t (with 314k miles after 12ish years), and stripped everything I thought I would need from it. I never considered that the radiators would be different though.

Well good luck with that. I ran a turbo setup for years on that same tiny radiator you’re complaining about. What are you worried your 190rwhp turbo wont be able cope with that radiator? Get past it and move onto the next issue.

Last edited:
Back