Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   projects & restorations (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   1980 242 GT. A reasonable project. (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=284730)

550 03-17-2014 09:36 AM

Tom, stunning.

wisturbo 03-17-2014 09:37 AM

Seriously killer build you got going. The attention to detail is amazing!

The Full Banana 03-17-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop (Post 4855159)
what are you doing with the intake?

I'll be running a modified b21f intake manifold with a 960 3" throttle body and one of nathan's fuel rails. It should be showing up any day now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 550 (Post 4855163)
Tom, stunning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisturbo (Post 4855165)
Seriously killer build you got going. The attention to detail is amazing!

Thanks, guys! I'm excited for the pack of 242s we'll have rolling around to meets this summer!

Stiggy Pop 03-17-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Full Banana (Post 4855177)
I'll be running a modified b21f intake manifold with a 960 3" throttle body and one of nathan's fuel rails. It should be showing up any day now.

I need one of Nathan's rails, much cleaner than stock. I was actually thinking of the air inlet off the turbo though. I spent some time staring at that side of my engine bay yesterday so curious what you had planned.

The Full Banana 03-17-2014 11:06 AM

Oh! I'm not quite sure what I'll end up doing for the intake yet.

I had been thinking an S-bend pipe with a cone filter placed near the headlight, but now it seems that's where the intercooler hot side pipe will be.

I'll figure that out once I get some piping ordered in and I can play around with it.

poulrais 03-17-2014 11:51 AM

If that Getrag don't leak please tell me how you achieved that miracle!!!;-)

The Full Banana 03-17-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poulrais (Post 4855257)
If that Getrag don't leak please tell me how you achieved that miracle!!!;-)

I won't be surprised if it leaks. My brother in law is a BMW master-tech and pretty much demanded to toss in a shift selector seal as they commonly leak on getrags. We replaced that seal and put in a new foam bushing for the shifter while we were at it.

This trans was a cheap unknown unit from craigslist so I didn't really have any desire to spend time/money tearing into it further.

The upside is... rustproofing?

Stiggy Pop 03-17-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Full Banana (Post 4855216)
Oh! I'm not quite sure what I'll end up doing for the intake yet.

I had been thinking an S-bend pipe with a cone filter placed near the headlight, but now it seems that's where the intercooler hot side pipe will be.

I'll figure that out once I get some piping ordered in and I can play around with it.

That's what I was looking at as well. I had thought about punching through down into that area in front of the wheel well. I bought an NA car where the PO made a baffled sheet metal airbox down there that was really slick, but I'm not sure I like the idea of the filter being that low. I think I'm going to end up just sticking mine over into the corner for now, and maybe I'll make a little airbox around it with some flow from down low so the IC pipe doesn't heat soak it so bad.

Aluminum pipe is not cheap!

caffnated_madness 03-17-2014 01:34 PM

Did you pick up the strut brace from Brian?

Looks really really really good. Bummed you got the shell, but I love what you're doing. Out of my league. Keep it up!! :cool:

The Full Banana 03-17-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop (Post 4855284)
That's what I was looking at as well. I had thought about punching through down into that area in front of the wheel well. I bought an NA car where the PO made a baffled sheet metal airbox down there that was really slick, but I'm not sure I like the idea of the filter being that low. I think I'm going to end up just sticking mine over into the corner for now, and maybe I'll make a little airbox around it with some flow from down low so the IC pipe doesn't heat soak it so bad.

Aluminum pipe is not cheap!

Where are you planning on getting your pipe? I'm just going to pick up a generic $99 kit on ebay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by caffnated_madness (Post 4855386)
Did you pick up the strut brace from Brian?

Looks really really really good. Bummed you got the shell, but I love what you're doing. Out of my league. Keep it up!! :cool:

Thanks! Yeah, I picked up the brace from Brian yesterday. This car will have a bunch of parts on it that were on it at various points during Brian's ownership.

Stiggy Pop 03-17-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Full Banana (Post 4855450)
Where are you planning on getting your pipe? I'm just going to pick up a generic $99 kit on ebay.

I bought my 3" pipe for the intercooler from www.CXracing.com, mostly because I got an IC from them so it was the first place I looked. Polished, not chrome with a 2mm wall. Nice heavy stuff and it polished up really well. It adds up though, I bought: 1 45*, 1 30*, 2 pieces of 18" straight and it was around $90. I only ended up using like 5" of straight but figured I'd order extra in case I needed it down the road.

I need a short 4" 45* for my turbo inlet and it looks like $30 for that piece alone :oops:. Glad I found a guy who welds on the cheap. Worth it though, until someone comes in and tells me I could have paid $14.75 at superhappypipewarehouse.cn.

The Full Banana 03-17-2014 03:54 PM

Eh, that doesn't sound too bad. The kit I am looking at is from CXracing as well (8 pieces plus a bunch of straight couplers, 2 90* degree couplers, and a bunch of t-bolt clamps).

The Full Banana 03-17-2014 07:05 PM

Intake manifold is here (Thanks, Nathan!)

The strut brace is interfering with the fuel rail, so I'll have to figure out what to do about that at some point, but it's not a big priority yet.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x...no/photo+3.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/YG...=w1024-h768-no

Benjam83 03-18-2014 09:41 AM

Clean engine bay...Mmmmmm

Clean Strut Brace....Ooohhhhhhh

Clean motor....Ahhhhhh

Dat Intake Mani......EEERRRRRRRMAGEEERRRRRRDDDDD!!!!!
Get it fixed son

The Full Banana 03-18-2014 10:01 AM

It's in my trunk and will be sandblasted tonight after work. Come on now, Ben. GIMME A BREAK.

elpress 03-18-2014 07:49 PM

Tom, I'm speechless.

Looks awesome!!

RvolvoR 03-18-2014 07:56 PM

solution, shorter rail and an external fuel pressure regulator...makes plumbing cleaner too.

The Full Banana 03-18-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RvolvoR (Post 4856837)
solution, shorter rail and an external fuel pressure regulator...makes plumbing cleaner too.

That was my initial thought as well, but still doesn't look like it'll fit. I'll take a closer look at it again tonight and see if that will do it.

The Full Banana 03-19-2014 12:01 AM

Intake manifold sandblasted. Now i need to decide how to finish it. I want it to look like a natural cast aluminum finish so I'm bit hesitant about using silver paint, but also not so sure that just clearing it will be right. Thoughts, anyone?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I...4/IMG_4503.jpg


And then brakes distracted me from looking at the manifold and fuel rail any further.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-P...4/IMG_4474.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5...4/IMG_4510.jpg

The wheel clears the caliper, but not by much.

RvolvoR 03-19-2014 12:05 AM

use plastikote brand aluminum cast rebuilders finish on the mani.

BillyMaysHere 03-19-2014 12:08 AM

That's hot. Maybe there is a type of clear caliper paint that resists dust build up and is easy to clean

The Full Banana 03-19-2014 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RvolvoR (Post 4857038)
use plastikote brand aluminum cast rebuilders finish on the mani.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. Checking that out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMaysHere (Post 4857041)
That's hot. Maybe there is a type of clear caliper paint that resists dust build up and is easy to clean

Are you talking about for the calipers or for the manifold? The calipers are already painted and I left a silky-smooth finish on the face so they should a bit easier to clean.

Stiggy Pop 03-19-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Full Banana (Post 4857034)
Intake manifold sandblasted. Now i need to decide how to finish it. I want it to look like a natural cast aluminum finish so I'm bit hesitant about using silver paint, but also not so sure that just clearing it will be right. Thoughts, anyone?


I blasted and used engine clear on an intake manifold for a 22re once. The finish was nice, but I think it was too much gloss. I'd head in the direction of a natural looking aluminum finish like what Rvolvo mentioned.

Hank Scorpio 03-19-2014 01:10 PM

Plastikote Cast Aluminum engine paint looks spot on.

http://www.pbase.com/dkauer744/image/76505241.jpg
The water pump there is new aluminum unpainted, you can see the painted color butting up against it. Good match.

(Pretty sure it's plastikote- it's whatever you find at Autozone/Napa ect).

Benjam83 03-19-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Full Banana (Post 4856217)
It's in my trunk and will be sandblasted tonight after work. Come on now, Ben. GIMME A BREAK.

LOL, breaking the balls.

Def looks good. Staying raw AL, or is it getting painted?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.