Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   projects & restorations (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   1980 242 GT. A reasonable project. (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=284730)

The Full Banana 03-19-2014 11:00 PM

Cast aluminum paint it is!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x...no/photo+1.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-g...no/photo+3.JPG

Looks like going with a shorter rail and aftermarket FPR would likely do the trick.

Hank Scorpio 03-20-2014 05:00 PM

Looks good! Any reason you couldn't just stack a set of gt plates under the strut brace and move it up slightly?

Thefuzz 03-20-2014 07:22 PM

I just really, really, really want to drive this. Just around the block. One time. It'll be fast.

The Full Banana 03-20-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio (Post 4858425)
Looks good! Any reason you couldn't just stack a set of gt plates under the strut brace and move it up slightly?

With any amount of engine movement, it would likely contact still. I appreciate the suggestion--once I get this thing running and driving I will try it out. There's a lot to get done before iPd!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefuzz (Post 4858561)
I just really, really, really want to drive this. Just around the block. One time. It'll be fast.

So do I! ;-)

550 03-21-2014 08:27 AM

Tom, we could attempt to rebracket the brace and move it up a little bit as well if you want. The other option is Rich can mill out some aluminum spacers as well.

justlie 03-21-2014 10:37 AM

Rich went golfing down south...he isn't doing anything. ;)

550 03-21-2014 10:49 AM

Such a rough life... doesn't he have a shop down there lol

justlie 03-21-2014 10:55 AM

Yeah...had or has one again...never know exactly...

The Full Banana 03-21-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 550 (Post 4858971)
Tom, we could attempt to rebracket the brace and move it up a little bit as well if you want. The other option is Rich can mill out some aluminum spacers as well.

Looks like I should bust out the playdough and see how much clearance there is before it hits the hood.

2fast242gt 03-21-2014 09:18 PM

I think I have some plates cut if you want to test spacing it.

The Full Banana 03-21-2014 09:20 PM

Brian, that would be awesome! Bring them with when you come grab the exhaust

The Full Banana 03-25-2014 12:44 AM

Getting more things done.

Mocking up the intercooler--not yet mounted.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-F...4/IMG_4518.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-R...4/IMG_4523.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-2...4/IMG_4525.jpg

Intercooler pipes fitted.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-m...4/IMG_4531.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-C...4/IMG_4535.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-N...4/IMG_4542.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-e...4/IMG_4545.jpg

Roundit 2000 for the harness and misc other wiring
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-g...4/IMG_4546.jpg

Odyssey PC680 mounted and other bits
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c...4/IMG_4554.jpg

2fast242gt 03-25-2014 12:49 AM

Sweet deal! Your using the cx racing srt4 intercooler I sold ya! I really liked the end tank design. I almost put that in my daily.

The Full Banana 03-25-2014 01:05 AM

Yep, seems like it should work out pretty well for this application.

DNAsEqUeNcE 03-25-2014 07:19 AM

distributor?? Noooooo........ :-(

The Full Banana 03-25-2014 07:36 AM

Buchkaspark board was ordered. I haven't picked up any of the other components yet.

Stiggy Pop 03-25-2014 09:03 AM

Stop making me want to rewire my car.

Where's the charcoal can going to live now?

J_Jones 03-25-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Full Banana (Post 4861734)
Odyssey PC680 mounted and other bits
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c...4/IMG_4554.jpg

Thanks for this picture. This will be done on my new project!

doucheNozzle 03-25-2014 02:54 PM

What are you going to do if you need to jumpstart the car?

J_Jones 03-25-2014 03:24 PM

Good question. Although I was talking about the wiring and getting it out of the engine bay.

Stiggy Pop 03-25-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doucheNozzle (Post 4862238)
What are you going to do if you need to jumpstart the car?

take the fender off in the parking lot, duh :-P

The Full Banana 03-25-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doucheNozzle (Post 4862238)
What are you going to do if you need to jumpstart the car?

Pop the hood and connect the ground cable to a bolt head in the block and the positive cable to the E36 distribution block/remote postive battery terminal. :-P

I suppose I should finish installing that and take a picture.

grnmachine02 03-25-2014 04:28 PM

when you did your sound deadening (i'm sure you said it, but I'm too lazy to look) did you also use any foam padding, or MLV?

The Full Banana 03-25-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grnmachine02 (Post 4862324)
when you did your sound deadening (i'm sure you said it, but I'm too lazy to look) did you also use any foam padding, or MLV?

I haven't done all of it yet, but in addition to the rattle trap sound deadening, I am also using 1/8" closed-cell foam as a decoupler and 1 lb per sq ft MLV as a sound barrier.

grnmachine02 03-25-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Full Banana (Post 4862329)
I haven't done all of it yet, but in addition to the rattle trap sound deadening, I am also using 1/8" closed-cell foam as a decoupler and 1 lb per sq ft MLV as a sound barrier.

Thanks! That's my project this weekend.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.