Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   projects & restorations (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   1980 242 GT. A reasonable project. (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=284730)

kampman 01-06-2014 03:49 PM

Looks great so far. Did the flocking cover up the grain pattern in the dash, or did you have to sand and/or fill it to keep it from showing through?

The Full Banana 01-06-2014 04:29 PM

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fast242gt (Post 4790524)
I really like where your taking my old 242 I'm really glad it went to you. Everything seems so well placed and thought out. I'm excited to see it on the road again with a volvo power plant. The dash and enginebay really set the car off well. Is that adapter plate steel?! Looks steelishh in the picture.

Thanks, Brian. I'm trying to do a pretty good job all-around with the car. I'm being fairly picky, but still trying to keep things moving along as to not get bogged down and lose sight of the goal.

The adapter plate is aluminum, but it's dirty--hence the steelish appearance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kampman (Post 4790908)
Looks great so far. Did the flocking cover up the grain pattern in the dash, or did you have to sand and/or fill it to keep it from showing through?

Yes, the flocking hides the grain of the dash.

I didn't sand or fill to get rid of the grain, but I did a lot of repair work on various areas of the dash (which involved sanding and filling) and I haven't noticed any difference in the final flocked product between the repaired areas and the 'original finish' areas.

Now I need to figure out all the trans swap stuff. What clutch and PP to run? Should I convert to a hydraulic clutch or run my brand new clutch cable I have sitting here? Decisions. Research. Dumb luck. Etc.

Reuvers 01-06-2014 05:34 PM

subscribed

awesome build!

2fast242gt 01-07-2014 03:17 AM

Still thinking it'll be on the road by spring? You seem to really be moving along. In the grand scheme of things your not to far away from compleation.

The Full Banana 01-07-2014 08:11 AM

That's the plan. I have a lot to do yet, and a decent number of large purchases to make so we'll see how quick I can get it done.

Once it's running and driving I'm sure I'll have a lot more tinkering to do to get everything sorted out properly.

The Full Banana 01-13-2014 08:39 PM

I spent the weekend in Michigan so no progress over the weekend, but here are a couple updates.

Carefully prepped and then sprayed the exhaust manifold and turbine housing with Stove Brite paint (charcoal). It seems to be standing up to the blistering 68F garage temps rather well.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c...no/photo_2.jpg

These were hard to find. M8 pan head barrel nuts. Straight from China for $1.xx shipped! The 530 valve cover studs are too short for the b21 valve cover, so it was either use these or put new studs in... and I'm lazy. Plus they are neat.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-W...no/photo_1.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-d...8-no/photo.jpg

And, uh, more stuff painted. Also Yoshifab phenolic.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x...no/photo_3.jpg

Old Iron 01-13-2014 09:06 PM

This is seriously coming together nicely!

fortbrick 01-14-2014 12:32 AM

Very nice. You're on your way.

2fast242gt 01-14-2014 05:43 AM

Those nuts really top it off nicely Tom. That valve cover is sure going to raise questions lol it did for me. "Are you sure you have a b230?"

2fast242gt 01-14-2014 02:29 PM

Is that a 15g? Is that the turbo your sticking with?

The Full Banana 01-14-2014 02:32 PM

It's the same 16t I was running on the wagon. I'll run it for now, not sure what the plan is for the future.

I do know this:
a) I despise turbo lag. I will trade peak power for a good usable powerband any and every day of the week.
b) I have no desire to pop the factory bottom end, or toss spendy internals into a redblock.

Sir Psycho 01-14-2014 02:55 PM

Evo 16g

grnmachine02 01-14-2014 03:19 PM

Hasn't everyone on here that has run that turbo ventilated their block? I know it's just coincidence, but still :lol:

diponyou 01-14-2014 03:51 PM

Im digging those bolts. Might have to copy that one of these days.

2fast242gt 01-14-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Full Banana (Post 4799224)
It's the same 16t I was running on the wagon. I'll run it for now, not sure what the plan is for the future.

I do know this:
a) I despise turbo lag. I will trade peak power for a good usable powerband any and every day of the week.
b) I have no desire to pop the factory bottom end, or toss spendy internals into a redblock.

I agree save the money twords a t5 swap or somthing similar. Should be a awsome driver!

CTSwee 01-14-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grnmachine02 (Post 4799264)
Hasn't everyone on here that has run that turbo ventilated their block? I know it's just coincidence, but still :lol:

I run one at ~16 psi on a 230f. No windows yet.

fige 01-14-2014 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTSwee (Post 4799394)
I run one at ~16 psi on a 230f. No windows yet.

It's just a matter of time or how much boost.

MikeJr. 01-14-2014 05:32 PM

Very nice work! I love your attention to detail.

That flocked dash looks awesome. Was it hard to do? I am considering doing this on my 242.

Also is that DIY crinkle paint on the valve cover or did you have that done somewhere?

The Full Banana 01-14-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fast242gt (Post 4799364)
I agree save the money twords a t5 swap or somthing similar. Should be a awsome driver!

yep! a german six is where my head is at. but that's too far down the road to think about now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJr. (Post 4799400)
Very nice work! I love your attention to detail.

That flocked dash looks awesome. Was it hard to do? I am considering doing this on my 242.

Also is that DIY crinkle paint on the valve cover or did you have that done somewhere?

Thanks, man. I really appreciate that!

The flocking wasn't too difficult. You just need to have everything set out and be ready to move quickly once the adhesive is on.

The valve cover has VHT wrinkle paint on it. Really happy with the results I got after having experimented a couple times with that paint.

MikeJr. 01-14-2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Full Banana (Post 4799418)
yep! a german six is where my head is at. but that's too far down the road to think about now.

Thanks, man. I really appreciate that!

The flocking wasn't too difficult. You just need to have everything set out and be ready to move quickly once the adhesive is on.

The valve cover has VHT wrinkle paint on it. Really happy with the results I got after having experimented a couple times with that paint.

VHT? Wow that looks amazing. I thought for sure you had it done professionally. I need to get me some of that stuff and try it out.

Poik 01-14-2014 06:29 PM

Great project and great progress! The attention to detail is excellent! I really like the flocked dash.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Full Banana (Post 4799224)

I do know this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Psycho (Post 4799240)
Evo 16g

If you do end up getting tired of the 16t, seriously, Evo 16g. I ran an Evo 3 16g on my +T and it was great, BUT if I were to do it all over again I would definitely buy a used Evo 9 16g. It has potential for 400whp, but spools up seriously fast. It is twin scroll which is great, but it is reverse scroll and a Mitsubishi flange, so a custom exhaust manifold would have to be used. If you are keeping the stock Volvo manifold and want quick spoolup, seriously just stick with some Volvo version of the TD04H.

grnmachine02 01-14-2014 07:24 PM

I've been extremely happy with my cosworth exhaust housing and t04e compressor combo. Full boost(20psi)by 3k~ from a stop and highway boost is almost instantaneous. :twocents:

I love reading your updates on this build, and loved reading your other build thread. One of my favorites on TB's.

2fast242gt 01-27-2014 02:40 AM

soo um anu progress? i really cant wait for that stage when your ready to start test fitting wheels. im excited to see how the rc's look along with those bmw csl's they were sex on the wagon. Love seeing the updates!

The Full Banana 01-27-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poik (Post 4799483)
Great project and great progress! The attention to detail is excellent! I really like the flocked dash.

If you do end up getting tired of the 16t, seriously, Evo 16g. I ran an Evo 3 16g on my +T and it was great, BUT if I were to do it all over again I would definitely buy a used Evo 9 16g. It has potential for 400whp, but spools up seriously fast. It is twin scroll which is great, but it is reverse scroll and a Mitsubishi flange, so a custom exhaust manifold would have to be used. If you are keeping the stock Volvo manifold and want quick spoolup, seriously just stick with some Volvo version of the TD04H.

Thanks! That last sentence is the plan I'm going to stick with for the redblock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grnmachine02 (Post 4799550)
I love reading your updates on this build, and loved reading your other build thread. One of my favorites on TB's.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Hearing stuff like that really helps my motivation to work on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fast242gt (Post 4811002)
soo um anu progress? i really cant wait for that stage when your ready to start test fitting wheels. im excited to see how the rc's look along with those bmw csl's they were sex on the wagon. Love seeing the updates!

Progress is happening, but no cool pictures to share. Wheels won't be going on until I get the fancy boy brakes in, which will be a little while($$$). The focus right now is on getting the trans swap stuff figured out so the engine and trans can go in.

I tried ordering the saab 9000 aero 240mm pressure plate from two different stores and both orders ended up being denied... not sure where I can find one. The whole process of figuring out a suitable clutch and PP has been a struggle for me. I would love to hear suggestions! I want to run a full-faced disc and I am using the flat flywheel.

I test-fitted an e36 m3 pressure plate, but the bolt pattern is just barely too large to fit the flywheel. I also considered the 850r pressure plate, but found out that won't fit in the bellhousing. If anyone has any suggestions... I could really use the help! I am really unfamiliar with this aspect of things.

Oh, I also refinished the wiper motor and installed that... :lol:

I have some other things on order from Tasca and FCP to button up some things on the engine I want done before it goes back in--primarily related to the lh2.4 conversion.

2fast242gt 01-27-2014 10:15 PM

I have a billet flywheel with a kennedy pressure plate...I may sell it maybe?