• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 1992 Yakuza odometer advancing

stiligFox

Part-time Tinkerer
Hey guys, I took apart my instrument cluster to swap my tachometer - and I'm wondering before I put everything back together for the umpteenth time, is there an easy way to advance the mileage on the odometer? My new odometer that was sold to me about 5 years ago has 46000 miles roughly, and I need to advance it 210000 miles.

I know it's technically not legal, but this car is going to be in the family for as long as it lasts so I'm not worried about selling issues (plus I'm adding miles not subtracting)

I took apart another speedometer and noticed that the gearing is driven by a worm gear tied to a motor, but the motor has 5 inputs instead of the normal 2 - I think 4 of the posts receive pulses to make it spin - so I don't have an easy way of just applying power and spinning the motor. Looking up the wiring diagram is no help because any relevant pins just go to the ECU and I don't know what those are.

Is there an easy way to do this? Or should I cut apart my spare little motor, take the worm gear off and hook it up to a LEGO motor? Is there a way to trick the speedometer into thinking it's receiving mileage signal?

Thanks guys!

Thanks! I'd never seen this kind of motor and didn't know what it was called... I'll see if I can build a circuit for it - would be so much easier to use the motor and just set it up run up the gears manually.

Cheers!

You just slide the numbers over to the left, carefully, with a pick and then they free spool!!! It's what I do when swapping in junkyard speedos.

Edit. Nevermind. I though you were asking on how to change the numbers.

On topic, the speed sensor is just a VR sensor that outputs a sine wave with increasing frequency with speed. Voltage goes up too, but frequency is what the Speedo looks at.

You just slide the numbers over to the left, carefully, with a pick and then they free spool!!! It's what I do when swapping in junkyard speedos.

I've broken them like that before, bloody scared to try :( I'll do that last resort - my parents spent $900(!) for this speedometer, they'd be pretty pissed if I actually broke it lol

Practice at the junkyard first!

Let's do the math on your idea, or not...! 100mph would take 1 hour to add 100 miles. So that's 10 hours to add 1,000 miles. So if you needed to add 100 thousand miles, 1000 hours if you figured out how to trigger It! Now you need to figure out how to reverse It! Ha.jk

Yakuza odometer...? :omg:

Yakuza+tattoo+2.jpg

^^^ Wants 20%. :cameron:

(Yazaki)

Practice at the junkyard first!

Let's do the math on your idea, or not...! 100mph would take 1 hour to add 100 miles. So that's 10 hours to add 1,000 miles. So if you needed to add 100 thousand miles, 1000 hours if you figured out how to trigger It! Now you need to figure out how to reverse It! Ha.jk

Yes, this is close to the practical limit. I recall the odometer motor can't take a lot more than what pegs the speedometer needle. Supplying the signal isn't all that much work if you have a smartphone. The wall wart just supplies 12VDC to power the gauge. Example below is for the 240, but the Yazaki gets its input in much the same way.

speedo2196.jpg

Yakuza odometer...? :omg:

I was trying to remember the name and it totally crossed my mind, "why would they have Japanese mafia name..." :lol:

Huh, I'll try rigging up the frequency thing to my old speedo and see what happens - it looks like the set up is 12v+ to power, headphone output to sensor, and headphone and speedo ground combined to 12v ground, aye?

If not, I'll try messing around some with the dials themselves.

Worst case, at 210000 miles, 140 miles an hour, running 24/7, that's only a couple months of waiting :-P that's totally manageable!

Well I got the motor controller in but I can't get the blessed thing to spin, I tried all 24 possible positions of wires and I'm guessing something is wrong on the inside of the motor.

https://youtu.be/leC_YTSWJhc

I measured the shaft of the motor - it's 1.5mm - so I ordered a ordinary 12v 1.5mm DC motor that I'll slip the worm gear onto and just drive it with that.

Why dont you simply push the shaft away a bit to the right, and spin the digits manually? Needs a bit of trial and error but isn't hard at all. Recently did two speedos this way, brownie needed 430'000 instead of 300'000, my buddy's needed 186'000 instead of 286'000. :lol:
How similar is the mechanism between the 240 vdo and 960 yazaki?

Why dont you simply push the shaft away a bit to the right, and spin the digits manually? Needs a bit of trial and error but isn't hard at all. Recently did two speedos this way, brownie needed 430'000 instead of 300'000, my buddy's needed 186'000 instead of 286'000. :lol:

I just like making life hard for myself :p

No seriously though, you guys are right - I'll give it a shot on my old speedo. I'm just paranoid because the last one I tried that on self destructed...

The motor is good if both windings still pass current. I like your fountain pen. Brings back memories of school.

Bah, looks like one wire was bad (no resistance to ground)

Tried a second motor, got it working! Seems to max out around 200RPM (going any faster only nets marginal gains)

I'm estimating 300-400mph... still 22 days!

https://youtu.be/f8z2hO8HLT4

Going to test my DC motor here in a minute.

(Testing all this on a trashed odometer chunk, don't know what car it came from. From here I'll test it on my old speedo, and then move to the real thing.)

EDIT: oh and thanks for the compliment on the pen :) it was a Christmas gift a couple years ago, I love taking it to school as well!

Last edited:
Holy 1.21 gigawatts!

https://youtu.be/m6GRLF0HNl8

It's spooling!

Serious though, it's a 7400RPM motor, I can set it from 0 to 255. First setting is 150, it gets quite warm. Second setting is 200, and it gets hot enough that I nearly drop it at 300 miles D:

Back