• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1984 242 - Mein kampf, mit zwei t?ren!

yah 2009 was funny... problem is that i cant remember a thing cause i was drunk when we started in hamburg and went sober for lunch mondays @ my job ;)

btw: how ths thread starts made my day ;)

Over a month with no updates. Better bring us something good or I'm going to think Brian's going to win the bet. I need to come see the car this week to get a visual approximation.

got the rear digitized, working on fender shaping.

242rearqpwearframe.jpg

this pic is as high as it can go before i start to have problems with the top of the inner fender area.

those light lines are the datum curves I collected using my Faro arm. Surfacing in pro-e is a whole new experience

I made a funny, but seriously...Catia is pretty damn sweet for surfacing. It's intuitive for the most part and you can control splines, tensions, cross-sections, etc. very easily. Fillets get frustrating, but that is the only downside I've found. I totally recommend trying it out.

This is a regular compressor volute, defined using 18 cross section sketches and about 7 splines running through them all. Separate surfaces for the pattern & core (external & internal walls). If you parameterize the model you can create something like this in about an hour or two.

GT28R_comp_hsg_casting_surfaces.jpg

The surfacing I have done in Pro-E for engineered surfaces is fine but for trying to apply a surface to a Reverse engineered or Scaned surface isn't that easy. I am sure there are some tricks i dont know yet. I am not quite sure how well it can apply a best fit surface and what not to get something smooth in the correct shape. Geomagic does that really well but thats all that program is made for.

You may have to create new points near your scanned points and then run splines through them, then create new surfaces. That's how I've done it in Catia...once you have a point cloud (.stl file for example) you can isolate parts of it, zoom in and create new points that are eyeballed "close enough" to the scanned ones. But it's funny, as I was reading through your post I was thinking "Geomagic does that..." and then you mentioned it. Definitely the easy way but there are other methods if you don't have access to it.

You may have to create new points near your scanned points and then run splines through them, then create new surfaces. That's how I've done it in Catia...once you have a point cloud (.stl file for example) you can isolate parts of it, zoom in and create new points that are eyeballed "close enough" to the scanned ones. But it's funny, as I was reading through your post I was thinking "Geomagic does that..." and then you mentioned it. Definitely the easy way but there are other methods if you don't have access to it.

Thats what i have been doing in Pro-E. You can select close to the lines to add your control points and then you can manipulate the data

Apparently the old ass anthrocam software that i use with my faro arm does surfacing... I should try it for ****s and grins.

i have a model with a lot of the quarter panel built out already.

I did this in geomagic back in the day, wish i still had easy access to a laser scanner... I have access just not sitting next to me in my shop kind of access

57612104.jpg

57647038.jpg

Apparently the old ass anthrocam software that i use with my faro arm does surfacing... I should try it for ****s and grins.

There's an AnthroCAM automotive edition it seems. If that's what you have, it should be able to do a 240 quarter panel if it can be used to build a full W210 E-class body!

2F21B018.GIF

"If anything can, AnthroCAM!" :rofl:

http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid=1476358&show=html&nolog=582584&&PHPSESSID=benf2lf4asjp3efibog3u4pga7

Sweet wing model, BTW.

Last edited:
Haven't had too much "physical progress" with the 242 until now. Still been messing around with the fender model to try to get the shape right.

Que the beat! BOOTY WORK, BOOTY WORK, BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY WORK.

242-LEFT-CHEEK.jpg

242-RIGHT-CHEEK.jpg

242-LEFT-CHEEK.jpg

242-RIGHT-CHEEK.jpg

242-boom.jpg

242-Assless-Chaps1.jpg

The more rusty bits I find on this thing the less bad I feel about cutting it up for flares, which is good because therers a lot more cutting yet to be done.

242-Rusty-Bits1.jpg

242-Rusty-Bits2.jpg

242-Rusty-Bits3.jpg

242-Rusty-Bits4.jpg

Plenty of room for the double diffuser now.

No,

I installed the long studs in the 242 rear.

The 245 rear was nothing special,,, besides being the alabama special. This has the low preload true trac in it, 2004 hotness!!!

This will stay in until the toyota stuff is ready

Back