• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mike K's '79 242 Barn Car Revival

This is what I'm using for injector spacers with my shorter ev14 injectors: http://www.southbayfuelinjectors.com/injector-short-height-adapter-14mm-w-oring-1-2-inch/

They have grooves for clips so there's no nonsense with things moving around (bonus: you can get them in not-pink). Not sure if you knew this already, but the 960 throttle body uses a b230 8v valve husher as the seal for the throttle body shaft. I had a leak there before I replaced mine.

In summary, this all looks delicious, and I'm jealous of your running and driving car. :cameron:

Good golly, Mike, this car is gorgeous.

Have you put any thought into letting go of those spare taillights?

Sorry bud think I'm going to hang on to them as spares. (cut scene to them still sitting in my shed 20 years from now).

This is what I'm using for injector spacers with my shorter ev14 injectors: http://www.southbayfuelinjectors.com/injector-short-height-adapter-14mm-w-oring-1-2-inch/

They have grooves for clips so there's no nonsense with things moving around (bonus: you can get them in not-pink). Not sure if you knew this already, but the 960 throttle body uses a b230 8v valve husher as the seal for the throttle body shaft. I had a leak there before I replaced mine.

In summary, this all looks delicious, and I'm jealous of your running and driving car. :cameron:

Quality post! Thanks for the quick link and tip on the husher. This might be an easier and quicker answer than having mine cut. We talked about just having someone do it in the shop at work but it's hard to pass the car parts off as airplane parts when they are purple anodized :lol:. Dare I admit I've grown used to the bit of color?

Yeah, it is nice to be able to drive the car. Although building it is more satisfying than chasing my tail trying to get it to run the way I'd like. Really sick of looking at the tune on this thing.

Need to pop the top and check valve clearances too. I just want to go hammer on it before the leaves turn brown again!

Well, luckily for you they do have them in purple anodized! :nancy:

Do you work with airplane parts for a living!?!

Yes, but mostly in the context of spreadsheets and emails... sigh. I would never ask the guys in the shop to help out with small projects or to borrow tools, because that would be wrong. ahem.

Get a room you two.

no you hang up first.

Sorry bud think I'm going to hang on to them as spares. (cut scene to them still sitting in my shed 20 years from now).

Hahaha, no worries. I completely understand why you'd keep them in stock. By the way, I've got a part hook-up local to me that you may be interested in. I actually bought my Amazon from him, and he has been into Volvos since the 70s.

Bummer I missed you at Mark's last night, BTW. I was at a cruise night in Wallingford.

Hahaha, no worries. I completely understand why you'd keep them in stock. By the way, I've got a part hook-up local to me that you may be interested in. I actually bought my Amazon from him, and he has been into Volvos since the 70s.

Bummer I missed you at Mark's last night, BTW. I was at a cruise night in Wallingford.

I'll try to think of some stuff I need and let you know, when you got those NOS headlight buckets I was pretty jealous.

Let me know if you're going to Mark's anytime and I'll try to swing by after work. I got there at the tail end of the show last night, drowned in a sea of corvettes. Wait, how'd ya know I was there?

I'll try to think of some stuff I need and let you know, when you got those NOS headlight buckets I was pretty jealous.

Let me know if you're going to Mark's anytime and I'll try to swing by after work. I got there at the tail end of the show last night, drowned in a sea of corvettes. Wait, how'd ya know I was there?

My friend Cameron posted a pic of your car on either Facebook or IG.

Drowned in a sea of Corvettes, you say? At Mark's? Stop pulling my leg! :lol:

Tuning woes persist, working my way through the list of possible causes but have not found anything touch the 3-3100k headache spot. I let it run lean in that range and pulled the plugs but there's nothing really jumping out or pointing me in any specific direction.

Although, I think I made a really worthwhile change with the injectors and also think it's a worthwhile piece of information to put out for anyone running a Nathan intake with ID injectors or just no injector clips in general - you probably have an air leak around the base of your injectors. Here is a picture of where the injector sat with no clip after being forced down into the manifold by fuel pressure:

DEsNtOa.jpg

The problem is that the injector bung is slash cut into the runner, and at this height the bottom o-ring is hitting the high edge of the cut. This was preventing a good seal and causing an air leak under boost. I bought a new set of adapters that allowed me to use clips (thanks again Tom, saved me some homework on that one) and you can see how the injectors are pulled higher up into the rail now:

J2QjfL2.jpg

This holds the injector up in the bung and allows for a proper seal. I was kind of hoping I'd jump in the car and find it was overly rich at 3k now but no change in that range. The only difference I've noticed is that it's now reluctant to start and idling rough. I haven't changed the tune at all, so not sure if eliminating the leak around the injectors would affect that portion of the tables or not. Going to log it and see if Doc Howard can help me out at all.

Interesting to find that the ID adapters have some kind of insert in the top. It's almost like a diffuser, open on either side. The new adapters are just an open hole. Anyone know why ID would have something like this in the adapter?

MjnQdxL.jpg

I'm going to swap coils tonight from my Dad's ls7 and eliminate my coils as the source of an odd rpm-specific misfire. After that I'm getting thin on ideas for what's going on. I will probably end up sending the injectors out, but it's $100+probably two weeks of having the car down which is a real bummer for a hail mary pass.

Beyond that I'm kind of stuck looking at my wiring harness, though I'm hard pressed to think of a wiring issue that would be rpm specific like this. At some point, barring any welcome mechanical cause presenting itself, I'm back to square 1 and this being some kind of odd tuning issue that is just really hard to walk in. I wonder if maybe I could get a guy like Kenny actually in the car if it could be worked out in a few hours, but I just don't have the depth of knowledge for this puzzle from a tuning standpoint. I would feel a little better about the system if I could work out the 5k plus range, so maybe I'll have to sack up and start getting up top to see if it can be wrangled.

We've kicked around the idea of putting the stock intake on to see what difference it makes, thinking of changes from the year 1 setup when this first arose, which would be feasible but I have no real way to get a fuel rail on it now that I have the -6 lines. I used to have a Nathan fuel rail for a stock manifold but have sold it on, anyone want to rent one out?

so nathan didn't have the injector bung tapered in the manifold to 'stop' the injector from going too far? usually there's a little bit of a step in there somewhere, but hell mine may not either. that was... 7 years ago

so nathan didn't have the injector bung tapered in the manifold to 'stop' the injector from going too far? usually there's a little bit of a step in there somewhere, but hell mine may not either. that was... 7 years ago

I didn't measure anything but as an eyeball it looks like a straight shot. At any rate, there was a witness mark in the bung from where the o-ring had been riding and it came around to land right on the high side of the cut. It probably sealed under vac but blowing into it they were whistling good.

Not sure what all difference it will make but I was happy to have found it and gotten rid of it.

Black anodized adapters... so mature!

Glad they worked out for you--you can thank Homer for finding them.

Stealth always wins.

No change with a different set of coils. I pulled the injectors to send out, might as well. ID only accepts UPS shipments which sucks from both a cost and turn time perspective. I can make it overly, on its face rich through there but no nice smooth reasonable line. Also getting a big AFR swing with constant rpm/map. Could be worse, I'll iron it out somehow.

You might want to check your timing sensor and quality of the signal at that point, I have seen cars that have RPM specific issues and it was small area where the timing sensor freaks out. What pickup are you using?

You might want to check your timing sensor and quality of the signal at that point, I have seen cars that have RPM specific issues and it was small area where the timing sensor freaks out. What pickup are you using?

Yes, have started thinking about this. Volvo (Bougi) VR sensor on the flywheel wired into the micro harness. I get a good rpm signal in Tuner Studio and I'm not fighting any sync loss issues or breaking up like I was when I first put it together. It's a good place to look next though.

When I first wired the car I was having trouble with sync loss. I tried adding resistors but wasn't getting satisfactory results. I ended up flipping the polarity of the wiring at the sensor (with no resistors) and never had another issue, and haven't really thought about it until I started thinking about validating the ignition side of it.

Have you inspected the sensor gap? You might try to run one of the DSM timing pickups. that fixed it for my friend.

Have you inspected the sensor gap? You might try to run one of the DSM timing pickups. that fixed it for my friend.

Not in particular, it's all stock and undisturbed so I wouldn't expect issues (also no issues there with year 1 setup which was same configuration just different wiring).

DSM meaning the CAS thing on the aux shaft or something different.

Back