• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Performance Car Cover Manufacturer Recommendations

prometheus_aflame

Hello,

I am going to be traveling to a hail-prone area in the southwest in my 1990 Volvo 245 soon. I am attempting to find a manufacturer that specializes in custom outdoor car covers for red block wagons. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

I used a “titan 5 layer” cover from empirecovers.com last winter in Vermont. My car sat in the driveway for a few months with it on, and we did have some good storms, but no serious hail. I think if I were to put a thicker quilt or something underneath it would’ve been sufficient enough to protect from hail damage. It was plenty big enough to fit my 960 wagon and it came with a cable to tie it down securely. It cost about 100 bucks, so it was much cheaper than any other “custom” winter weather covers I could find. I did notice some scuffing on the roof and hood edges after removing it, where the wind must have been whipping it around causing it to rub. In my opinion these covers are maybe good for two seasons, possibly only one if your going to get really bad weather where you are. The material just doesn’t seem to hold up very well after taking it on and off, folding it up, getting it dirty etc, and it doesn’t seem like something you want to just throw in a washing machine. I also looked into some covers from covercraft, but those were 5 times more expensive than the one I ended up buying. If I were to use one again during the winters here, I would go with the same titan 5 layer cover, but use other blankets or maybe even a summer time softer dust cover underneath to protect from scratches.

Sounds like you need something that is easily deployed on road side for sudden storms while traveling? Did they ever put that inflatable car cover up fordslerhstwas in shark tank?

:nod:

48225_1.jpg

If the hail is strong enough to damage your car you do not want to be out in it. By the time you finish deploying your car either you or the car will be hurt.

I used a ?titan 5 layer? cover from empirecovers.com last winter in Vermont. My car sat in the driveway for a few months with it on, and we did have some good storms, but no serious hail. I think if I were to put a thicker quilt or something underneath it would?ve been sufficient enough to protect from hail damage. It was plenty big enough to fit my 960 wagon and it came with a cable to tie it down securely. It cost about 100 bucks, so it was much cheaper than any other ?custom? winter weather covers I could find. I did notice some scuffing on the roof and hood edges after removing it, where the wind must have been whipping it around causing it to rub. In my opinion these covers are maybe good for two seasons, possibly only one if your going to get really bad weather where you are. The material just doesn?t seem to hold up very well after taking it on and off, folding it up, getting it dirty etc, and it doesn?t seem like something you want to just throw in a washing machine. I also looked into some covers from covercraft, but those were 5 times more expensive than the one I ended up buying. If I were to use one again during the winters here, I would go with the same titan 5 layer cover, but use other blankets or maybe even a summer time softer dust cover underneath to protect from scratches.
I had an empire cover on my Supra while it was sitting outside. They had a really good warranty so I gave it a shot. It lasted about 6 months before it literally just rotted off the car. Better yet, customer service told me it would take several months after I shipped my old cover back for them to get me a new one. Apparently they used a third party for warranty credit.

I doubt you'll find a cover to protect against any hail heavy enough that would cause damage anyways. They really aren't designed for that.

Just my :twocents:

I use the Budge brand from Walmart, size 2. Light weight but forgot me does the trick. Won't hold up to hail damage. I use it to keep the interiors from fading. Keeps the bird droppings off too.
They last me about 3 years then fall apart.

Back