• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wheel restoration for Virgos

LeedomtoFreedom

Looking for your favorite guide for wheel restoration for an all alloy wheel (virgos)

I looked at some videos online and searched The Vault and found guys doing wheel restos on chrome rims, but virgos aren't that snazzy.

What kind of paint / primer do you guys use to resist road wear? I've seen people swear by an array of different brands / compounds but need advice from those who've done this first hand.

I'm going to keep looking but thought asking from those who've experienced this before would be a good place to start

Crazychopstick did a nice writeup.

Hang on let me find it.

Edit:

Basic Virgo Repair

DSC01545.jpg

JB weld on the wheel lip to repair rash? I would be concerned that that stuff would chip off once the tire machine got a hold of it. Better to use a dremel tool and smooth out as best possible any curb rash. I refinished a set of Coronas wheels :freak:. It was a lot of work but the end result was great. Hardest part was removing the old finish, it took a few cans of aircraft paint stripper. For paint I used Eastwood products, argent silver, diamond gloss and 2 part epoxy primer not in that order. Virgos should easy. If the finish is good you may gey away with light sanding, 320, primer and paint.

Ok.but now you have to worry about the 'grippers'. Most of the tire places around here have crappy machines and bad techs working on them. The only place I found that was careful to not marr the wheels was Costco of all places.

When I got my tires mounted I think I asked them to use the method that grabs from the inside? There was some funky way to do it that I told them to do. Hold it down with their hands?

also thanks for the link and the info. The write-up looks like a really good place to start. I'm not surprised someone used JB weld for the lips. I think I've got a container of bog somewhere which I could also use.

Ok.but now you have to worry about the 'grippers'. Most of the tire places around here have crappy machines and bad techs working on them. The only place I found that was careful to not marr the wheels was Costco of all places.

The old centerpost machines don't really work on Virgos.

When I got my tires mounted I think I asked them to use the method that grabs from the inside? There was some funky way to do it that I told them to do. Hold it down with their hands?

No the 'meat tenderizer' side of the claws will hit the spokes.

also thanks for the link and the info. The write-up looks like a really good place to start. I'm not surprised someone used JB weld for the lips. I think I've got a container of bog somewhere which I could also use.

Upside down with the rim clamps is the way.

Back