• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage Big A$$ Poly Trailing Arm Bushing Installation

sksmith

Can anyone post any tricks for installing the big a$$ poly rear trailing arm bushings in a 140 series?
I'm assuming that I can use my fancy China Freight ball joint / control arm press kit. Just want to avoid damaging my pretty painted trailing arms as much as possible.
Thanks,
Steve

The big bushing presses into the arm, not the diff brackets like a 240. There's no outer metal shell so it's just a friction fit.

Lube the poly bushing and the arm with some aqua-lube and press it in with a flat plate on top of the bushing. Leave the steel sleeve out until the bushing is installed.

bushing-kit-support-arm-polyurethane-az-gtb20bp1800140gle164-74.jpeg

I've found it VERY helpful once you've greased up the bushing to put it into a piston ring compressor and compress it as far as you can. This helps it go in easier, plus it helps get it started straight, rather than launching across the shop. I've been doing that for the last several sets of 740 torque rod bushings, uses the same bushing actually.

Back