• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

iPd T cam slow off the line

Let's not get in a pissing contest about the specs on the IPD Turbo cam. The focus here is to try to help the op with his original concern. We ourselves have never measured one KNOWN to be an IPDT, just one we strongly believe to be. On the flip side, the paper trail from them has many gaps in it, so who knows?

That said, with the additional info and video from post #38, it's difficult to say that this isn't operating as designed. It doesn't look horrendous to me, but compared to the T cam, I can see how you might be disappointed with the change.

Last edited:
1st, yes, your kickdown is a bit tight perhaps. The trans should shift before it hits the limiter.
2nd, for being a little 12b on there, that's pretty respectable. Yes, the turbo cam does lose a little right off the line, but it makes up for it the rest of the way along.

I would definitely double-check everything is lined up, set the cam to 4* advanced, and throw an MBC (ball and spring, not a bleed style) on to help the boost ramp up a little faster.

I don't know what IPD is turning out these days, however, I have driven 2 cars with 13C turbos on them with the IPD Turbo cam installed and both pulled hard right off of idle all the way to 6,000 RPM. They also had good idle quality and good vacuum. It isn't that hot of a grind. They copied the V cam specs when they made their turbo cam.

I don't know what IPD is turning out these days, however, I have driven 2 cars with 13C turbos on them with the IPD Turbo cam installed and both pulled hard right off of idle all the way to 6,000 RPM. They also had good idle quality and good vacuum. It isn't that hot of a grind. They copied the V cam specs when they made their turbo cam.

This is what I'm lead to believe, at least as far as characteristics go, and why I raised my hand to say that perhaps cam timing as ground may be an issue. From personal experience I only am familiar with the V15T, and that sacrifices very little from idle to well extend the effective rpm range.

Also, from the video, it doesn't look too bad.

I checked the washer on crank timing gear today after work and it looked good. I don't know why they put that on the outer washer, makes it much harder to see. Anyway, reset the cam to +4* and reset ignition timing to ~12*, and it runs much better with decent low end. I must have been setting spark timing first, and then adjusting the cam gear (subsequently messing up spark timing), I'm not sure but the only explanation I can think of. Also loosened kick down, no more bouncing off rev limiter. I think with an mbc this thing will be properly fun to drive. Thanks to everyone who commented.

One observation: with cam timing at +4*, the least amount of spark timing I could get was ~12* before the distributor was fully rotated/hitting the stop. In other words, I couldn't adjust it to run less timing. Is that normal?

Last edited:
Back