• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

A big valve 8valve is better than a 16valve head for 99% of tbricks

So on the average ?tuned? set up someone can run lower boost to make their 300 safer.

what's considered lower boost? we're devolving into semantics, but I'd say 20-24psi isn't really "high" boost, but it's not necessarily "low" either.

I think you'd struggle to hit that mark below a bar unless you had something special

There's no real use in gasket matching a 8v when you're using the stock intake manifold. If you do the math for port wall taper based on the valve size, the ~40mm intake port entrance is about right... the issue is the factory taper is very severe (over a short distance) and the rest of the intake port is undersized. Once you remove ~3-4mm from the middle of the intake port , you get into the correct approximate CSA and taper.

Enlarging the exhaust side too much will cause sever issues with reversion along the port floor as well. It is better to widen the exhaust port than to remove material from the roof and floor. This is what Erland suggests, and what I've seen from heads where I ported the exhaust too much. The port walls will be really clean, but have a pocket of carbon on the floor of the port.

Pocket porting and blending in the SSR is where these heads need the most amount of work.

It was a gray late model wagon. I think he said 91. M47 with a n/a 16v. Used a lot of Volvo plastic and made it look like a stock installation.

A stock b230 skinny rod NA aw70 is better than a 16valve head for 99% of tbricks.

Change my mind.

Back when we had gas that was all benzene based. The skinny rod B230 with M47 consistently delivered 30mpg or more on the highway. Then fuel changed and those numbers dropped a good bit.

16V and a light flywheel takes a whole hell of a lot of 'tractor' out of a redblock. Whether or not you like that is a personal preference.

I've gone from 8V to 16V to LS in my 240, and I feel that it's gotten better each time.

16V all day long cause I can rev up high and shift where I want, not because the 8V choke line forces me to - and because they look better. The 8V head just looks lacking in a large Volvo engine bay...

16V all day long cause I can rev up high and shift where I want, not because the 8V choke line forces me to - and because they look better. The 8V head just looks lacking in a large Volvo engine bay...

Yup, a wide powerband sure is nice.

With just some bolt on parts my 8v runs like that all day long as well. But from the factory Volvo didn't ever give us an 8v like that. Plus back when we got the 16v cars hardly anyone here in the US wanted to enjoy shifting gears, sadly.

there's a lot of different ways to skin a cat. Put me in the "a nasty 8v sounds better" camp. I've never considered a 16v swap; I'd just put a different engine in it at that point.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jv5xVhTWikk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

there's a lot of different ways to skin a cat. Put me in the "a nasty 8v sounds better" camp. I've never considered a 16v swap; I'd just put a different engine in it at that point.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jv5xVhTWikk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

music

True, but that particular 8v is an extremely high budget one :-P

Tate Fanning drove my ****pile a couple weeks ago. Despite making half the power that his car puts out, the following words came out of his mouth and stayed with me: "I wish I had gone 16v".

And that, sir, is all I needed to hear!

This is sound logic. Being in the middle of a 16v swap, I can honestly say I wish I'd gone whiteblock. Purely for the sound and the coolness factor.

Back