• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kenny's 1990 740 GLE, goin' for 9's

oh wow. thought I'd had an update or two since this. Ok, so it didn't break an axle, near as I can tell what it was doing with regards to the rubber coming off the tire was due to not being centered on the roller (only thing I can come up with honestly). transmission was a little low on fluid, and I put more load on it and forgot I'd bought a 5500 stall converter (See much earlier in the thread), so.. it may have been just doing what it does. Since then I added fluid, drove the car around, and it's seemingly no worse for the wear. I also discovered recently that the rear wastegate tube was trying to fall off of the header (Great.)..

finally got around to mostly fixing that last night:
https://youtu.be/bSB4-dc2Vcg

since the shop cleanup is going reasonably well, I may be able to drop a couple plugs for the ol tig around the building here soon, and finish up the repair from underneath without taking the manifold off (That's a chore). Eventually I'll have to, but for right now.. it should be fine. I'll sneak it back on the roller in the next couple of days... gotta work in some play time with all the other **** I do.

got the car back on the rollers today to push things along.. ended up at 670whp at around 39psi. not the best weather to shoot for a high number, but not as bad as it's been this summer (kinda lucked out on that, wasn't planned around the weather).

I kinda wanted to see what it would do if I put the wood to it, I did not stop at every boost break point and fine tune things, I basically got the timing on the conservative side of the curve and made sure it wasn't running mid 10's AFRS, and stepped the boost up a couple psi, rinse, repeat. if it hangs around throught the fall, I'll get better numbers later.

It was not without drama, the brake lines on the back of the car are pretty ****ty, and I think the driver's side has collapsed internally, so it pinched off after I hit the brakes and locked the caliper up. Got that sorted out, wastegate tried to fall off again so I put the MIG on it this time.
When we got the car above 600, it was all about getting the boost set around 375kpa (2.75 bar, or ~40psi), I'm not running closed loop though, so that required finessing the bias table, leaning it out to roughly 11.3 on the gauge, and then finally massaging the timing. at 620ish I added .5 degrees and it jumped to around 650, added another .5 and it jumped to 672.. would've kept going but something in the transmission started failing so it was a good time to end on a high note.

FWIW that's the highest number it's posted on any dyno, and it generally was fairly easy.
trans is a th400 with a 5800 stall converter, and the more pain I poured into it, the more it was noticeable below 6400 lol. aside from that, no real complaints, just things to fix.

170976298.jpg

Very nice. So going to remove the converter adaptor and have something custom made or just get another adaptor? That has made me consider having one made to match instead and sell my converter adaptor

Not to shabby. Could a just put a 2j in it and had that a while ago.....
Just braking balls. Would ya fix your trans issues already? We all want to see the glorious single digit first pass that gets you thrown out of the track

It was fine until it wasn't lol. it's not slipping, sounds more crunchy. I'll tighten the converter bolts and see if the noise goes away, but I have a feeling it won't. it sounded like a tire that lost a belt, but didn't feel like it(didn't feel like anything really). Then again, loose converter/flexplate/adapter bolts can sound like almost anything.. rod knock, exhaust rattle, etc lol

tightened the bolts on the adapter, no more noise. so now it's decision time (and discussion time with roger dee I reckon), I'm somewhat hessitant to get an adapter that's made of steel due to weight, but at the same time, I suspect getting a converter custom made will end up at or past the same weight. the good news is even in the event of a failure of the adapter, it's unlikely to make it out of the bellhousing area due to the spacing and number of things that are bolted down.

may make an assault on 700 while it's still sitting on the dyno lift, and go ahead and order up the brake stuff I'm gonna need.

well, put it back on the roller, noise is still there, no love. oh well, I've got time to formulate a plan, so no big deal.

new brake lines are here. probably gonna order a new shop toy tomorrow (trans jack) to assist with the r&r of the 400.

new brake lines are here. probably gonna order a new shop toy tomorrow (trans jack) to assist with the r&r of the 400.

I use a rubber made cart and some 6x6 wood to get the trans to height and roll it under my car on the lift. I use a in air hoist attached to my roof beam to lift trans on my cart. Has worked well for the 3 different times I did a trans install.

yeah I did something similar last time with a roll around cart, this will hopefully be a bit more stable and configurable

trans jack is here, brake lines are here, new converter adapter is ordered (another bespoke piece. lol. not really, just a different material) need to get the new alternator on the R and wrap that up (new ps pump, coils, probably gonna do the strut mounts while it's on the lift, and alternator.. plus a/c compressor shimmage, it'll be like new!) and then the gold car will be in for a trans r&r and other cleanup/updates.

going to try and shoot for a mid-october track trip, but we'll see. I'm also probably going to swap in a 3.73 rear end unless someone has a 4.10 they wanna shoot over to me lol.

Back