• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

That car looks so familiar. Were you on SAAB Central forums back in the day?

Nope, not actively (and I've only owned this one for 2.5 years). You may have seen me post it on some FB groups, I think I recognized your 142 from a Saab group as well :-P

Good to know that I probably won't negate all the benefits of the twin scroll housing. Do you think there's a good reason to try to make #1 longer so it's more closely matched to #4? Would two paired 5" runners and two paired 10" runners be better than four runners that were all quite different? I ask because I may be able to add a big bend in #1, but that particular cylinder would then flow worse than it would as a straight shot.

I think it depends on how different your 1&4 length would be from your 2&3 length. If #1 was close to 2x the length of #3 then the pulses from those cylinders would reach the turbine wheel at approximately the same time, then you'd have a long wait and then #4 and #2 would reach the wheel at the same time as each other. It might give you some sort of "big bang" effect that could be interesting to study.

I think it depends on how different your 1&4 length would be from your 2&3 length. If #1 was close to 2x the length of #3 then the pulses from those cylinders would reach the turbine wheel at approximately the same time, then you'd have a long wait and then #4 and #2 would reach the wheel at the same time as each other. It might give you some sort of "big bang" effect that could be interesting to study.

Interesting. I've got all the runners except #1 done now, and I'll probably just make it a straight shot. The bends required to get close to the length of #4 would get pretty wild.

Well, the manifold is still in progress, so I started doing some other stuff while I wait for time to bring it back to Noah's.

The old setup had a bit of a cooling problem, and I'm trying to figure out if it was the radiator size. It was a new Northern Radiator with a 2.25" x 16x 15.5" core. The cooling fan was admittedly not powerful enough, but it occasionally ran hot at speeds above 30 or so, which tells me it wasn't just the fan.

6IYfgPE.jpg

If I decide to use the same radiator, I'll notch the front frame rail so I can move it lower and more forward. Then I can fit a full size 14" fan, instead of the slim 14" I had. If I need a bigger core, it'll have to be really wide and short, and I haven't had much luck finding anything. A Scirocco style radiator may fit under the hood, but those are only about 13x22". A little more surface area, but not much.

Anyone have some advice on how to properly size a radiator core?

I didn’t see your shroud situation, but I noticed a huge difference after spacing and sealing my fan shroud back 1/2”. Fan never comes on unless I’m completely stopped for a minute or two.

I’m using a 2 row scirocco, 12.5x19.5, and a single 12” fan that doesn’t move a ton of air. When I had the fan mounted with the cheap zip tie things it was on almost constantly.

I didn?t see your shroud situation, but I noticed a huge difference after spacing and sealing my fan shroud back 1/2?. Fan never comes on unless I?m completely stopped for a minute or two.

I?m using a 2 row scirocco, 12.5x19.5, and a single 12? fan that doesn?t move a ton of air. When I had the fan mounted with the cheap zip tie things it was on almost constantly.

That SPAL fan was mounted directly to the radiator, with no shroud. I guess I'll try using my old radiator with a good fan and shroud.

How much room do you have? You're gonna need a shroud as well. That darale ain't much better without a shroud
. It's better but not by much. Over heated in traffic with my Hilux with that thing pretty easily. Get a oem fan honestly, they are usually the best quality

I ran aluminum C channel 1/2" around the perimeter of the radiator with some foam tape on the side against the radiator, and riveted a sheet of 1/8" ally to it with a 12" hole for the fan. My fan is offset, and I might do a few flapper doors on the opposite side that blow open under typical driving and get sucked shut when the fan is on, but I havent had any issues under speed, so its probably not necessary.

How much room do you have? You're gonna need a shroud as well. That darale ain't much better without a shroud
. It's better but not by much. Over heated in traffic with my Hilux with that thing pretty easily. Get a oem fan honestly, they are usually the best quality

Depending how far forward I can get the radiator, I should have enough depth for pretty much whatever fan. The issue is the width of my radiator. All the OEM fans I've seen are too big.

I ran aluminum C channel 1/2" around the perimeter of the radiator with some foam tape on the side against the radiator, and riveted a sheet of 1/8" ally to it with a 12" hole for the fan. My fan is offset, and I might do a few flapper doors on the opposite side that blow open under typical driving and get sucked shut when the fan is on, but I havent had any issues under speed, so its probably not necessary.

That sounds nice and simple. I'm sure I can come up with a suitable shroud.

What radiator do you have? Is it a double pass Scirocco style one?

I think I have the part number around for my DeRale as well, 1500/2200cfm 2-speed with a shroud that fit the stock radiator really nice. With that I rarely see it come on unless it's in traffic, and even then low was enough, at 90* ambient. Granted I've only driven it a half dozen times since install, but watching water temps it did really well. lol

That sounds nice and simple. I'm sure I can come up with a suitable shroud.

What radiator do you have? Is it a double pass Scirocco style one?

Yes, ish... it?s a gpi scirocco that I had to put a baffle in because it was straight up end tanks instead of two (in and out) on one side and a single on the other.

So I'm really conflicted on what to do with this radiator situation. Not having to buy a new radiator would be cool, but dealing with notching the frame to get it low enough is a pain. Finding a suitable Scirocco (13x22") radiator would mean no frame cutting, but I wouldn't be able to run as big a fan.

I assume a dual pass radiator with slightly more surface area would cool more than my current single pass, but is that worth giving up some fan capacity?

Once I move to the air>water ic, I’m planning to add a second 10”... there’s a few guys that I autox with that run them on v8 swapped cars with 2x 10” fans and they don’t have any problems driving them to and from tracks and sitting in traffic. It’s all about the low pressure zone behind the radiator. Their engine bays are well sealed up front with some ventilation at the rear, and skid plate below to keep the bay at very low pressure

You can always make a shroud to let the larger fan work. My truck actually does something like that, with a drop on the bottom side where the blades run below the tank about 2". Then you could run a 15" fan on a 13" tall radiator.

Back