• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Painting valve covers

I'm using aircraft stripper right now to remove the aircraft from my valve cover. I applied a thin layer of it, not knowing how much was too much. Let it sit for 40 minutes. Paint got soft but was still a dick to scrape off. I gave it a nice thick coat just now. Let it sit for another 20-30 minutes and show that paint who's boss.

i always use a block with sand paper. if your hands are stedy enough to mask those letters off to a T you can sand them sanding takes 5 minutes.
+1, you guys are doing it the hard way. Just paint the whole thing then sand the letters with a block. I put a length of duct tape on either side of the letters in case I slipped or something, but you don't even really need that.

main.php

I would like to add that the aircraft paint stripper is a pain in the ass. I'm still having to scrub almost as hard as with the engine degreeser. Ain't nothin' bubblin' or peelin'. Guess that just means Volvo used good paint?

Take the cover, and a big ass sheet of foil, cover it with the stripper, then wrap the foil up over top, so the vapors concentrate. Leave it for several hours.

There are stronger chemicals, but if there are pits in the cover, it will turn the metal into swiss cheese, so you have limit the time exposed.

A green scotchbright. :p I thought it would be plenty until I started scrubbing it. I didn't feel like going anywhere before work today so I'll get one tonight.

I have the paint applied. It's sitting downstairs the 3 hours before it can be handled. Got another 2 hours before I can (safely) play with it. I'm going to Schucks to get a new gasket for it, and I'm considering putting in the T cam while I have everything apart. And since I'm off work today I might as well paint the exhaust manifold for my +T project. Anyone have experience with that? IIRC it's cratered just like any other old mani. Anything to be done about that or aught I just degrease it and shoot the paint?

PICT0137.jpg

tapedshiny.jpg

finishedshiny.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

hand polished is awesome but time consuming.

I've got 3 more 16v covers, I've got some ideas for them:ninja:

I have an older 8V cover that I have started to clean up. (I had a bored moment over Christmas).
Did your polished cover look realy good before you did the blue bits?
I am going retro style with a B230 in a 67 Amazon.
Alternatively I could go for the Forest green that everything else will be done in and then clean back the letters.

Rob

I have an older 8V cover that I have started to clean up. (I had a bored moment over Christmas).
Did your polished cover look realy good before you did the blue bits?
I am going retro style with a B230 in a 67 Amazon.
Alternatively I could go for the Forest green that everything else will be done in and then clean back the letters.

Rob

im not entirely sure what you're asking:???:

I polished the letters, and the areas surrounding the islands upon which the letters sit. those Islands which I painted blue, I left unpolished.

Asking whether the polished parts looked really good implies that they don't now:-P Looks the same now as it did when i was done polishing it. I think if I did it over (I broke the valve cover...not sure I can get it fixed) I would clear coat the thing (clear powder coat?) after polish and paint to make sure that gloss never went away.

I was thinking, after I applied the final coats, that it would be rad to paint it black with the islands in blue and polished letters. I would have never thought about it, but purple looks really good on that.

Anyway, paint is dry. I got some pics with my camera phone, I just gotta find my microSD card reader.

Back