• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Boxing Control Arms...Worth It?

propav8r

F*ck Edgar
I've got the front and rear control arms off my 240 at the moment, and Yoshi's plates are only about $100 total.

Question for anyone that's done it...has it made a difference in handling or (especially in the back) do you view it more as an insurance policy against bending stuff under power?

I have never boxed the stock stuff but I know that putting my stiffer units on was a noticeable improvement so i would assume that boxing the stock stuff would probably be as well.

Boxing the back would be nice in conjunction with BNE's Spherical TABs.
As far as the front, if I popped a curb I'd rather replace a control arm than a crossmember or worse.

Boxing-Day-Red-Rubber-Stamp-Image.jpg

box or fabricate better ones for the rear.

I'm getting a few clunks out of the rear on mine already. And I already swapped the ovalized and shredded torque rods for IPD's with poly.

I'm guessing when I swap the 8.8 in I'll try to make everything stronger.

You can buy sheet metal home at home depot or ace hardware and just trace the pieces and cut them to size. You can make 2 pieces from one piece of sheet metal if you do the yoshifab style. If you do Volvo taxi style plate, it will require 2 pieces of sheet metal(still have to cut to size).

When I slid into a curb during a parking lot snow hoon session, the impact to the front wheel bent my stock control arm. Would it have bent the unibody if it was boxed, or just bent up my wheel more? :e-shrug:

When I slid into a curb during a parking lot snow hoon session, the impact to the front wheel bent my stock control arm. Would it have bent the unibody if it was boxed, or just bent up my wheel more? :e-shrug:

Tis my concern as well

Installed a set on my brother's car last weekend.

Nice piece of kit, but no provision for swaybar, if you're in to that kinda thing.

I welded some stock brackets on. Better solution would be to weld some U bolts to the arm and a bracket to a removable piece of bar, as the end links want to be right on top of the ball joint.

I generally try to avoid sliding into curbs. Where I'm at, there are precious few curbs anyway. Generally just mountainside dropoffs.

Back