• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pdx dl

I'll be curious to see how your DP install goes. I've got two of them, one from Harlard and another from a different guy. Couldn't see how they'd fit and mount without sitting 3" from the ground. The Yoshifab trans support is super burley but I think forces the DP down compared to modding the stock trans mount. I kept the 2.25 DP I had on there because it gave me plenty of room.

Food for thought I guess.

Seems like there's always something.

I read a few articles last night. If I understand it correctly, the biggest bang for the buck is in improving flow from what I call the "unpressured sides" of the turbo (air filter to the turbo going "in," and turbo through the muffler going "out"). Apparently on the "pressured sides" the pay off for improvements is somewhat less (turbo through the intercooler / intake manifold going "out" and exhaust manifold to the turbo going "in"). Interesting stuff. My first turbo car.

This is just my opinion so listen to the pros before me. With that said, the best upgrade you can do is upgrade the head. The Bseries heads just don’t flow well. Grab yourself another head and have it ported and larger valves installed. Then get a better flowing intake manifold. This will get you your extra HP you’re wanting.

As for the down pipe, if I fit a 4” to 3” then you should be fine and you’re not on the ground so that helps. I can make you a new tranny crossmember that will accommodate the 3” to tuck in higher if you want.

Oh and you can make an extra 25 just by feeding it a little more fuel and a little more boost which is definitely cheaper than the head and intake manifold

Packed the wagon front to back and headed to the Oregon coast for my eldest’s, covid compliant, wedding tomorrow. I haven’t driven highway 6 in a while and never in the Volvo. It was awesome. Third and fourth gear. Non stop curves and elevation changes. Beautiful scenery. The car was a joy. A handful of full-boost passing lanes and I’m a happy boy.

BD25FB8F-F8BF-4D95-864C-3F2503922BC7-M.jpg

Last edited:
10 PSI. But I did replace the head bolts...

So much fun coming around a bend at the bottom of the torque curve and throttling out.

Ahhhh. You need more boost.

I'm think I'm on the edge of the slippery slope: "Glass" M47. "Dumb" EFI. "Tiny" turbo. Way cheaper to buy a used Vette. LOL. Though we do actually need a wagon from time to time.

Let's say that this fall I do the following: 3" down pipe (with nice O2 bungs, not muffler-shop booger welds), '90+ exhaust manifold, turbo oil drain update, and boost to 12 PSI ($500)?

Then, perhaps:

Winter '20: EFI upgrade ($1,000)
Fall '21: T5 conversion ($1,500)
Fall '22: decent turbo, KL Racing intercooler / boost to ?PSI ($1,500?) 250 WHP?

Reasonable plan? Will a M47 live with 175-200 WHP for a year?

Sounds like a solid plan. With that engine and turbo setup, I wouldn’t worry about breaking the m47. Especially if you’re using a stock clutch and not clutch kicking or launching the car hard.

Cool beans.

Figured I would wrap the down pipe in that cool heat tape. Is it worth the trouble to ceramic coat the manifold to reduce under hood temps?

I wouldn't bother with that. If you don't do it perfectly it will promote corrosion. Also, not enough heat gets pumped out for you to notice, especially with the factory Turbo heat shields you have.

Cool beans.

Figured I would wrap the down pipe in that cool heat tape. Is it worth the trouble to ceramic coat the manifold to reduce under hood temps?

Cerakote would probably be a better use of money and time. You can buy it and spray it yourself, but it's picky on surface prep.

I wouldn't bother with that. If you don't do it perfectly it will promote corrosion. Also, not enough heat gets pumped out for you to notice, especially with the factory Turbo heat shields you have.

And this. There's some improvement, but I'm not sure how much.

Back