• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Wiper Mess - Green Manual

It wasn't Thor that designed that system. More like Loki I believe would apply.

I agree.

lokiaf.jpg

I did see Art's site.....printed several pics as a cheat sheet to see how the cables were routed. Once I disassembled everything, wire wheeled it and then got right up on it with my reading glasses and an LED lamp - it all made sense (how the cables went - not the twisted idea behind it).

The trick is in which way the cable is looped when its mounted......but its still a stupid design.

:cool:

It sure looks like you do nice work 15A.

Two weeks ago I had to revisit this "stupid design" in a repair mode. Since the last time I had the dash out, I decided to try dealing with the busted right side drive through the glove box opening.

Crucial to that was being sure I knew which way the cable wrapped, because there was no way I could work to put them on and look at them simultaneously. To attain the magnification I need to see that detail I need lenses that put my head 6 inches from the work.

So I did this entirely by feel; memorize, then work. Need to emphasize the importance of knowing that the cable end (screw and nut side) needs to be looped toward the cabin interior as you pointed out.

The main page on wipers is only intended to be about 240's but I saw for the first time those 140 greenbook pages Ian mentioned reading this thread. Wish that would have happened before working on the '93 two weeks ago. Nothing on my page is as helpful as those for this task. I updated the page with the "through the glovebox" adventure on a '93 a week ago: Notes on 240 Volvo Windscreen Wiper Shaft Repair

wiper93_02.jpg

Thanks Art. :cool:

There is 1 groove on the bottom and 2 on the top - didn't even see this till I wired wheeled the crud off of it. When the cables are in their perspective grooves, wound the right way, and greased with something good (I use Mobil One synthetic - it sticks and cushions)....its really smooth. Every one I ever saw vibrated but worked. I wrote it off to the whole cheap setup / slop.

I used a regular nut so I could spin it down with my thumb without letting go of holding it into position. I tightened it til it started to cock the bar, then backed off to the point it sat square on the pulley. Then I added a second nut with a dab of Loctite. I have never had or seen one this smooth once it was all 'right', greased and taut.

But still cant imagine doing it through a hole.

Back