• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ignition for carbed 8v?

D.E

tvåförti
I'm just now wrapping up the engine build for my 242 and everything's together except for the ignition system.

The engine is a fairly aggressive B23 running about 12,5:1 compression, carbs and a cam that means I need to rev at least about 7000 to get anything out of it. What I need is programmable ignition that lets me rev as far as I want and adjust so that it doesn't ping and knock.

Any suggestions?

Joooo r?der jag att du k?p n?t.:nod:
Hur var de f?r ''any'' sug gestion? :neener:

khi khi

Just l?ste en av mina favorit b?cker ?ver helgen du jag var sjuk och det var en 1955 utg?va av Vaino Linnas ''Ok?nd Soldat''....vet ej om du har l?st den men i den ?vers?ttarn jobbade h?rt f?r att ger ett svensk+talnde l?sare ett bra k?n p? dom olika dialekter i Finland fr?n ?sterbottn till 'Fj?rr Karelen''

Du ska tacka att jag ?verhuvudtaget kan skirv ?ven enkla stavningar och du f?r inte en massa ''tom t?r'' i st?llet
f?r dom d?r , op i st?llet f?r p?......
Finns n?n riktig dialeker kvar uppe i darlana eller har dom gick i pissi senaste 40 ?r?

Last edited:
Joooo r?der jag att du k?p n?t.:nod:
Hur var de f?r ''any'' sug gestion? :neener:

khi khi

Just l?ste en av mina favorit b?cker ?ver helgen du jag var sjuk och det var en 1955 utg?va av Vaino Linnas ''Ok?nd Soldat''....vet ej om du har l?st den men i den ?vers?ttarn jobbade h?rt f?r att ger ett svensk+talnde l?sare ett bra k?n p? dom olika dialekter i Finland fr?n ?sterbottn till 'Fj?rr Karelen''

Du ska tacka att jag ?verhuvudtaget kan skirv ?ven enkla stavningar och du f?r inte en massa ''tom t?r'' i st?llet
f?r dom d?r , op i st?llet f?r p?......
Finns n?n riktig dialeker kvar uppe i darlana eller har dom gick i pissi senaste 40 ?r?

Haha, nej den har jag inte l?st. Jag blir lite f?rv?nad om du kan tala finska John, det m?ste vara sv?rt att l?ra sig som amerikan j?mf?rt med svenska och andra germanska spr?k som ?nd? ?r n?ra engelska.

Nog pratar vi dalska h?r ?nnu, fr?mst ovanf?r Siljan och d? mest i byar norr om Mora som V?mhus och ?lvdalen. D? menar jag de riktigt annorlunda dialekterna, som inte en stockholmare kan f?rst?. :-D

Fast nu wa e f?ll t?ndningen ?t donda Volvon i add st?ende ?jta gardi wi spr?ked um ? it n? oder kuck... ;-)

Easy would be boat points distributor and then put the electronic upgrade in it. I did in my boat. Take the points out, drops right in. Not sure how to adjust the advance. IT is mechanical, the shaft is what turns on it a little. Maybe with an MSD. Might work okay stock.

I don't care who is quilty, I'm missing Lahtinen and machine gun. Tack Jonny V..

Cheap and easy ignition would be from B230E and B230 K, those have Bosch EZK 118 ignition system, it has MAP sensor, good abilities to control knock control. Engine speed is measured from distributor, so your choices are free with flywheel. Mapping of those is bit unknown territory, but could be similar to EZK117 (B230FT) box. Anyways you can move your base map up and down by turning distributor.

but if he did megasquirt then he may as well run fuel injection too,but then he wouldn't have all the joy trying to get a gawd dang carburetor to fing work for fcus sake.

Wow, lots of suggestions here. I considered Microsquirt before when I was considering fuel injection, but the lack of decent intake manifolds and the fact that a coworker had a set of very appropriate carbs he wanted to sell made me go that route instead. :) MSD also crossed my mind but I'm not sure how it works and I think the setups are pretty expensive and hard to find in Europe. Do you need a different distributor as well or is the MSD compatible with a LH2.2 hall-effect distributor?

The EDIS4/Megajolt is also a cool and reasonable option. EDIS Fords are plentiful in the yards here and Megajolt can be purchased from the UK. It is not very tried here though and it would be hard to find support.

I don't care who is quilty, I'm missing Lahtinen and machine gun. Tack Jonny V..

Cheap and easy ignition would be from B230E and B230 K, those have Bosch EZK 118 ignition system, it has MAP sensor, good abilities to control knock control. Engine speed is measured from distributor, so your choices are free with flywheel. Mapping of those is bit unknown territory, but could be similar to EZK117 (B230FT) box. Anyways you can move your base map up and down by turning distributor.

This sounds interesting. The B230A engines use an electronic breakerless ignition system that is apparently fairly easy to set up and a common upgrade for early breaker/points ignition 240's. Is this also EZK118? A friend has a 740 with the A engine he's parting and I could find the components there very cheap. Does this system use a rev limiter?

Engine_Bay.jpg

Standalone and GM V8 coils is a pretty good upgrade from points.

If you keep it carburetted, you can probably get away with just MAP and IAT sensors and some way of determining the RPM.

Fully programmable is hard to beat, and an ignition cut rev limiter is quite fun.

Undoubtedly EDIS with Megajolt is the way to go.

With that you'll have full control of ignition advance, so you'll be able to make it work with which ever cam you choose to use and which ever compression ratio you happen to have.

The only "problem" to solve is how to attach the trigger wheel and the VR sensor, and as you have a B23, even that will be almost too easy.

The best way is to mount the trigger wheel behind the belt pulley in front of the crank, as pictured:

trig_002.jpg

wheel_2.jpg

The trigger wheel is welded to the hub piece once you have determined the correct orientation.

You'll need to shorten the collars on the front aluminum piece which holds the seals, as pictured:

trig_001.jpg

Best way to make the bracket for the VR sensor is to mount it down-low. Using the oil pan fixing bolts allows for a really short bracket. With a VR sensor a short bracket is desirable, as a short one is easier to make so that it'll be stiff enough. Stiffnes of the bracket is of utmost importance with VR-sensors, as a bracket that flexes will cause problems with the VR signal.

trig_003.jpg

The rest is just some wiring work, and then you'll have a fully programmable ignition. The EDIS ignition systems has proven to be very reliable. Only downside is the lack of a RPM limiter, and i think Autosportlabs have a solution for that as well these days.

Om du beh?ver en triggerhjul, skicka mig ett privat meddelande s? kanske vi kan komma up med n?gonting.

Last edited:
I want to upgrade the ignition system to a breakerless one on my 1982 volvo 244 GL...do you know where I can find these parts from the B230a for the breakerless system?

Wow, lots of suggestions here. I considered Microsquirt before when I was considering fuel injection, but the lack of decent intake manifolds and the fact that a coworker had a set of very appropriate carbs he wanted to sell made me go that route instead. :) MSD also crossed my mind but I'm not sure how it works and I think the setups are pretty expensive and hard to find in Europe. Do you need a different distributor as well or is the MSD compatible with a LH2.2 hall-effect distributor?

The EDIS4/Megajolt is also a cool and reasonable option. EDIS Fords are plentiful in the yards here and Megajolt can be purchased from the UK. It is not very tried here though and it would be hard to find support.

This sounds interesting. The B230A engines use an electronic breakerless ignition system that is apparently fairly easy to set up and a common upgrade for early breaker/points ignition 240's. Is this also EZK118? A friend has a 740 with the A engine he's parting and I could find the components there very cheap. Does this system use a rev limiter?

I want to upgrade the ignition system to a breakerless one on my 1982 volvo 244 GL...do you know where I can find these parts from the B230a for the breakerless system?

Thread revival!

The B230A engines would have been Canadian. The A is for carb(s).

Someone on the board may have something laying around, but I would suspect it to be pretty rare these days.

Back