• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Will a 940 survive with salt?

Johnnya101

Instead of being able to have two summer cars like I wanted, my parents are only allowing me one (a 60s Corvair!). So now I can't get a 240 like I wanted because I need it year round, and in the winter they soak the roads in salty brine and I don't want to harm a 240. I'm thinking about getting a 940 wagon now. Would a 940 survive Winters in NH without getting rusted out if I were to wash it underneath once a week, keep it garaged, and only drive it a couple miles to school each day? Or should I forget about it and just get an 850 or above?

88+ (?) 240's and 940's are more rust proof than the earlier ones, they started dipping them in a zinc primer.

In my experience even the late model 240s are not as immune to rust as a 940. Way better to subject a 940 to that crap. They use the brine here as well and it literally just eats your vehicle.

Plus 940s are available on the east coast for $500 or less.

Yeah, I had experience with my 88 240 last winter and that was not something I would risk again. So a 940 it is I guess. It shouldnt rust with being washed and undercoated as much as a 240? I was reading as long as there are no paint chips it should be fine.

No issues with my 97 940.
Literally zero rust and it has been driven continuously during winter. The later models should be very good in terms of rust protection.
Our roads are coated with tons of salt in winter. Road maintenance goes ballistic as soon as snow or low temps are expected.

I do try to wash the underbody (plus the whole car, especially the wheel arches where salt can collect easily etc.) as frequently and thoroughly as I can during these times, try to do it every week or two.

Perfect, just what I was looking for. I'll be on the lookout for a late 940 then. Don't mind washing it, have hose in the garage and I'll bring it to the car wash too.

What really kills any car is not drying out. I had my 740T for 15 years and it never had any rust, always kept it clean etc. Then I moved to a place where it was in the shade all the time, and the general area was fairly damp. Cars would get musty very fast if they weren't used regularly. The 740 went to crap within a couple years of living there, went to jack it up one day and the jack point crushed up into the rocker, had to stomp on my jack to retrieve it. Not saying that wouldn't have happened elsewhere but I strongly believe that never really drying out had a lot to do with it.

My 88 765 has rust on the underside but very little on the top side (front doors are needing replaced due to rust).

Back