• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pulling engine and trans

Awaffa2003

Hey all,

I'll be pulling the engine and transmission out of my '83 245 this weekend. With the engine stand I'll be using, what size/length bolts will I need to mount it?

Where are you attaching the chain? What bolts are you using to connect the chain to? Most engine bolts have enough length and threads to support the engine/transmission.

Have you done this before?

He's asking about the length/size of the bell housing mounting bolts -- he'll need 4 to mount the motor to the stand. And....I have no idea on the Volvo motor. Also a function of how long the "fingers" are on your stand -- stands vary quite a bit in that area.

The bolts are still hanging out on my engine stand, and I just checked:
- the top 2 are blind holes, need 2x M12x1.75 3" long
- one bottom hole is open and threaded, need 1x M12x1.75" 3" long, or longer
- one bottom hole is open unthreaded, need M12 or 1/2" ~5" long plus a nut

The arms on my engine stand are 2 1/4" deep, so adjust the lengths if your arms are different.

Awesome, thanks. On my way to Harbor Freight to grab the 1k lbs stand as well as rent the hoist.

But to answer your question TestPoint, I have no idea where I'm lifting it from, I've never done this before.

hMkhmNG

This is how far I got. Only hitch is that a couple exhaust studs broke off in the head.

Where do I go from here?

There are three lifting eyes on the engine. You attache a chain to each one of them. The front one is on the thermostat housing. The rear one is on the last two bolts of the intake manifold, the middle one is on the exhaust side on cylinder three. Connect the lifting eyes with chains toa hoist with an angle adjuster hook on the hoist so you can adjust the angle of the engine and trans as you lift it out.

I don't do this stuff alone anymore. If you can have an extra pair of hands it helps a lot.

Back