• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dirt bike Carrier

DC-354

Hello all. First post on Turbo Bricks.
I have a 91 740gle that I'd like to put a motorcycle carrier rack onto. Just dropped off my oem hitch to get sand blasted today.
I was reading and apparently there's an insert for the rectangular receiver? Anyone have one for sale or know where to order?
Also, does anyone have experience with these carriers? I've read the max tounge weight is 330lbs.
I believe my rm250 is about 230-240 pounds. Probably another 40 or 50 for the carrier itself. Guess I'll just jump my fat arse up and down a few times on it to see how strong it is...
I'm thinking I'll need to add one or two extra arms from the hitch or maybe the bumper receiver, to the carrier itself to reduce the side to side wobble.
I'll post some pictures of the finished project when I'm done!
Getting real sick of pulling the front wheel and putting it in the back to go riding.
P.s. I think I posted this in the wrong section and I don't know how to delete... sorry!

Last edited:
I think anything bigger than a moped is going to put you over capacity. Consider for every inch that you extend out from the receiver that you are increasing the leverage that the load has on the weight on the front tires. Not only that but when you factor in a trunk full of tools, fuel, gear, cooler, the sketch factor is too high. Even if you try to send it the handling is extremely sketch. A small 4x8 trailer is what you need.

I do plan on lifting and beefing up the suspension... my concern is more about the actual mach frame rail the hitch bolts into. Wonder if I should reinforce that somehow?
Rear will be on air at soke point.

you could do what I did and build an entire car specifically designed for carrying your dirt bike!

OYSWucK.jpg

I do plan on lifting and beefing up the suspension... my concern is more about the actual mach frame rail the hitch bolts into. Wonder if I should reinforce that somehow?
Rear will be on air at soke point.

It's a matter of leverage, your weight will be way too far behind the rear axle.
You need a trailer, or a half ton pickup to use a hitch rack like you are talking about.

Everyone is on the same page, too much weight too far behind the bumper. Small trailers are not expensive. If you are really on a budget, do what I did many years ago. I bought a hitch that attached to my car and only supported the front wheel of the bike and it towed with its rear wheel on the ground, worked well for me over many hundreds of miles. Just need to follow all laws. Probably needs to have a plate and working lights. Wasn't too worried about that stuff in the 80's

quick google search turned up several
https://theusatrailerstore.com/the-original-slick-wheelie-motorcycle-hauler/

Last edited:
No Nay sayers allowed. Seen it done on a Corolla. Im aware of the effect it'll have on my front wheels and I'm not concerned. I'm not going to be playing dirt rally with my bike on the rear by any means.
Love the pickup conversion. Has crossed my mind...

Won't work, not naysaying, I've done tried it.
Come back for the I-yold-ya-so when it don't work, and we will say we told ya so.

This was my set up a few years ago. Only used it a few times. I too was concerned about the hitch / unibody rail union though it never gave me trouble. As I recall the steering did get lighter. Cargo springs would likely level it out. All things considered, if I were to do it again, I would likely get a lightweight trailer for this application.

Before this we used the rack for years on my son's Explorer. We never got pulled over for tail light concerns FWIW. The Explorer naturally sat a little nose high so the rack would drag over steep inclines (driveway).

011-M.jpg

IMG_1666-M.jpg

003-M.jpg

Last edited:
I drove my ute on the highway with the bike in the back with blown out shocks and 250k mile springs, it was SKETCHY, and I have my load way more forward than something like a hitch carrier.

fresh shocks, some bushings, and overload springs helped.

On my carrier, which I use on my truck, I installed trailer lights and a license plate holder. Plugs into the trailer plug.

HgJOjiGh.jpg

Admittedly, it does sag a bit in the rear. Either putting beefier springs or airbags in I reckon.
Also, I'm going to splice sone extra lights and mount them by magnet to the carrier. Licence plate too.

As for the steering axle, I really didn't think it handled that bad through a rain storm and through the fraser canyon 500 miles.
Just don't drive like a race car driver and its fine

P.s. what do you guys use for image hosting? The links I was using didn't work.

Back