• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C S60 R Motor Rebuild/Replacement

Volvord302

Hi all, I know this is normally a RWD forum, but I'd like a little front wheel drive advice. Because who can resist 300HP and a 6 speed?

I have a line on a 2004 S60 R. The guy says it may need an engine, or perhaps a cylinder head. Sounds like he doesn't really know. What I'm wondering is worst case scenario and the block is trashed, how difficult is a rebuild or a replacement engine? Does anybody have any familiarity with these cars, what goes wrong with them?

I'm not at all afraid to get my hands dirty, but I'm afraid I'm a little inexperienced when it comes to FWD Volvos, or any Volvo motor for that matter. My brick runs a 5.0 and that's what I'm used to working on, rear drive american rigs. Can you guys give me an idea of how difficult of a project this may be? also any other maintenance/ease of working on info on the transmission and the AWD system. My research hasn't turned up much.

It also seems getting your hands on a used B5254T4 is near impossible.

Headgaskets are rare on those. Likely cracked cylinder wall. Which would require a new block or sleeves (Darton).

Can find engines from a Volvo recycle shop. Depending on your location.

Jordan

Headgaskets are rare on those. Likely cracked cylinder wall. Which would require a new block or sleeves (Darton).

Can find engines from a Volvo recycle shop. Depending on your location.

Jordan

Nearest junkyard is about 4 hours away unfortunately. How is sleeving them?

Also, would any 2.5 short block work? Then just use all the R spec manifolds, turbo, head, etc.

The R uses different pistons for sure, possibly rods. I'm not 100$ sure.

Most people look for 2.3 bottom ends if you're going for power.

Otherwise, I'd be scouring used Volvo places.

Jordan

The R (B5254T4) has different pistons/rods/head as compared to a 2.5T (B5254T2).
Where is said S60R located? I think we looked at the same car.
I would either go with a 2.3 (B5244T5), or build the hell out of a sleeved/reinforced B5454T4 if I had to do an engine.

The R (B5254T4) has different pistons/rods/head as compared to a 2.5T (B5254T2).
Where is said S60R located? I think we looked at the same car.
I would either go with a 2.3 (B5244T5), or build the hell out of a sleeved/reinforced B5454T4 if I had to do an engine.

This car is in Montana. So update on the car. He had a compression test done on all 5 and it seems it's not the block. He said 45 lbs even on all 5 cylinders. He seems to think they took it to a quick lube place and they didn't drain the oil before filling it back up. that caused the timing to jump and bend the valves. I don't know. But, if what he believes is true, a head rebuild or a fresh head should be a bit cheaper, no?

45psi on all 5 cylinders? Valves are not bent. Something else went wrong. Condition of rest of the car? Cost? S60R is not a cheap car to maintain, are you sure you want it?

Rest of the car is ok. Interior is good. About 100k miles. Exterior needs a little work. He's asking 2800, which I don't think I would pay. I was considering maintenance cost. Probably a fair bit more than a 5.0. Yep, that's why I'm asking you guys, just to get a better idea of what I'm getting into. But for even low pressure, jumped timing makes the most sense to me.

Also, how is maintaining a turbo car?

Also, how is maintaining a turbo car?

Synthetic oil change every 5000 miles. Coolant changes every 2 years. Check to see PCV system is working. Check to see there is no exhaust blockage.

Maintaining a turbo car is EASY. Maintaining a S60 R, not so much.
Set of front struts is almost $600. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vo...LT8XgWe0HvWWyYqOForA5il0zxlss5PBoCWRUQAvD_BwE

$2800? He's smoking something. A running driving S60 R can be found for $3900. https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-volvo-s60r/6688048090.html

Yikes. Brakes aren't any better. Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like the motor isn't bad to work with, but all the wear/maintenance items are just plain expensive. Gotta pay to play eh?

$2800? He's smoking something. A running driving S60 R can be found for $3900. https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-volvo-s60r/6688048090.html

This.

A S60R with a blown motor is worth scrap value IMHO. A pristine '07 6-speed V70R with a blown motor... now we're a bit closer to reality but still on the high side.

You can find runner for not much more if you're patient. Just beware that angle gears aren't cheap and neither are the struts. Make sure the AWD actually works before purchasing.

This.

A S60R with a blown motor is worth scrap value IMHO. A pristine '07 6-speed V70R with a blown motor... now we're a bit closer to reality but still on the high side.

You can find runner for not much more if you're patient. Just beware that angle gears aren't cheap and neither are the struts. Make sure the AWD actually works before purchasing.

I know a guy who recently blew out the engine in his relatively pristine '06 manual silver V70R. He traded it in to the local Volvo dealer. Any ideas what they'll do with those cars when they get 'em?

(My dad has a still-working identical V70R, btw.)

I know a guy who recently blew out the engine in his relatively pristine '06 manual silver V70R. He traded it in to the local Volvo dealer. Any ideas what they'll do with those cars when they get 'em?

How much did the dealer pay him? $1?

How much did the dealer pay him? $1?

I don't actually know. I was surprised he traded it in to them, though.

I'd be too afraid they were going to crush it or something just to reduce the remaining supply of parts and force americans to buy new slushbox cars.

Of course, maybe they'd refurbish it. I don't actually have a clue, which is why I asked.
(Guess no one else not under NDA is likely to know, though)

Yikes. Brakes aren't any better. Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like the motor isn't bad to work with, but all the wear/maintenance items are just plain expensive. Gotta pay to play eh?

Yes, I sold my R (was a sad day) because I couldn't justify the cost of ownership anymore. I know people are picking up used R engines on eBay for around $1000 usd. Any S60 T5 motor will bolt right up, just swap the oil pan over from the R since it has a oil level sensor.

The R head gaskets do not go back, if it's losing coolant you have a cracked block. Get a new motor, shim it, tune it, and have fun.

Some say the cost of acquisition is about $6,000, which I think makes sense. Budget around $250/month just for normal maintenance items.

Best of luck.

PS: If you can find a 2.4 T5 motor, get that. It has thicker cylinder walls. Don't get the 2.3, it has a longer stroke and is quite a different engine.

Back