• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting turbo redblock into the 300hp range?

LH handled it ok, a fine balance between the injectors and maf handled it, I was monitoring it. But that is why I said I don't recommend it. TB ziptie and duct tape stuff is what it was. I daily drove it though with no problems except for the flame shooting thing. I didn't really mind that though lol

Pretty sure the OP is not gonna be well versed in Tunerstudio or similar programs, so that is why I recommended TLOA chips. They actually handle a decent amount of mods.

I have several hours in tuning the Megasquirt in my '79 EFI conversion and it still needs a bit more work. Then the season changes and it needs even more...

are you running maf or speed denisty (MAP)?

I was running a 3" MAF from a 960. That car caught terminal cancer, I sold the motor and all the parts. Ran it for 15 years though. Now an LS swap kinda guy, you saw my build thread. My other old car, 79 242, is stock except for Megasquirt EFI conversion which uses a MAP sensor built into the Megasquirt brain.

It got figured out years ago and everybody but Texas240 is overthinking it.

My setup I was able to beat the crap out of for years with little issue was as follows:
unopened unknown mileage 91 b230F
stock 530 head
oem style elring headgasket
3-4 times used stock headbolts
RSI stage 3 cam
mild steel sch 40 header
holset he351cw
ebay 38mm gate
ID1000 injectors
ebay ****ty intercooler
3" exhaust
Megasquirt n spark 1 - extra running a stock lh2.2 distributor

made 350whp on 19 psi on e85 and I hammered on it relentlessly for 3-4 years before I blew it up from running it lean when I had a pump die.

Just realized you recommend a cummins turbo ahaha

What's the common injector size people run
What size intercooler
And any particular wideband (I see bosch makes one)
And where do you guys get the tola chips from

Last edited:
Lots of school buses in the junkyard lol, that's how Holsets find their way into Volvos...even though they are huge castings compared to Garrett. The price is right for used ones.

I told you about the chips.. the injectors #46, they are from a high output Mustang or something, I bought them from the the same guy you need to ask about chips, TLOA. He sold them in flowmatched sets. Thelostartof is the man for LH chips.
Do a Turbobricks Google site search for CX Racing intercooler kit. That gives you what you need.

I've seen my fair share of old Cummins turbos things are built really well
I'm gonna keep my eye out for one but if my buddy still has this GT3582 I'll grab it from him

For someone with mediocre experience who wants reliable power.

TLAO gets along just fine (fairly well I'd wager) but he's sort of/is an expert at manipulating lh2.4 with good results.

Better turbo, fuel system that will feed it, microsquirt running wasted spark, 1/2 decent exhaust manifold and exhaust, cheapo intercooler, and away you go.

If you make the HG the weak spot, you'll push the gasket before you bend rods (maybe... hopefully).

not really, he had to run 10psi more than I did to make less power with a very similar setup.

Wasted spark isn't needed and just adds further complexity. I got by just fine with a distributor and didn't have any of the issues the n00bz have with setting up wasted spark/COP setups. It's dead nuts reliable and every parts house had what I needed. Its a 350 hp car, not an 800hp car.

The only part which costs dollars which I recommend buying to everybody going down this road is the injectors. The ID1000s were worth every bit of the $480 I paid for them. Idled like glass at 750-800rpm and a 14.5:1 AFR even on batch fire.

I've seen my fair share of old Cummins turbos things are built really well
I'm gonna keep my eye out for one but if my buddy still has this GT3582 I'll grab it from him

The 3582 is a bit too much turbo for what you are trying to do and will be pretty lazy depending on the hot side you run.

Also, the he341/351 is the ticket. They are the newer designs of the non-VGT turbos and don't have super huge hotsides on them like the hx35s/wh1cs.

What's the common injector size people run
What size intercooler
And any particular wideband (I see bosch makes one)
And where do you guys get the tola chips from
just buy a do88 drop in intercooler so you don't have to mess with new pipes.

AEM wideband. cheap, simple, effective.

not really, he had to run 10psi more than I did to make less power with a very similar setup.

Wasted spark isn't needed and just adds further complexity. I got by just fine with a distributor and didn't have any of the issues the n00bz have with setting up wasted spark/COP setups. It's dead nuts reliable and every parts house had what I needed. Its a 350 hp car, not an 800hp car.

The only part which costs dollars which I recommend buying to everybody going down this road is the injectors. The ID1000s were worth every bit of the $480 I paid for them. Idled like glass at 750-800rpm and a 14.5:1 AFR even on batch fire.

I have to agree with Asher and disagree but mostly agree for once. The TLAO chips works decent on a 8v setup with a 15g but to a point they started to not get the job done. His 16v chips were pieces of ****. I used his chips on a 15g, V cam, dirty brown tops, 3" maf and made 191HP, 228TQ at the wheel at 16.39psi and it felt weak.

Like I said, they work for daily driving but other than that ditch LH and go with the stated above/ Good cam, 50trim turbo or about, 35-60lb injectors, 3in maf and a good exhaust manifold.

Yeah. You walk a narrower and narrower path in regards to tuning as the HP goes up. And little things like a weak injector aren't picked up on by a WB gauge, they just read the overall mix from all 4. A weak injector, runs a little lean in one cylinder, before long you've got a bent rod or a destroyed piston.

Ping, ping boom. Only you don't always hear the 'ping'.

Come on man.... I made 300whp @20psi on LH on Pump gas with the hy35cw. So you made 50whp more with higher CR, larger turbo, better tuning, external WG and e85. I was still running the stock internal WG just ported with a larger puck installed. So on paper I think those all seem like fair gains. Running that same turbo now on MS let me get it dyno'd again once I get this head back on and let us see what I can do with MS.

And I 100% agree MS is the way to go for making proper power. Problem for most is the learning curve in wiring and tuning. I love my MS car and setup, but as the same time my LH car while annoying also works out but then again I have been doing it for a little longer than most.

To the OP that is a 600+HP turbo, pointless to run it on LH and only make 300hp, you can do that with a lot less turbo.

As others have said here the formula has been here for a while for 300hp, while you can do it on LH, MS is fairly cheap and easy if you have the know how. A Microsquirt running the stock coil and dist are simple to wire up.

Turbo wise you have a lot of smaller options over the gt35 that range from bolt on to needing a custom manifold (worth it as I gained around 30+whp once I ditched the stock exhaust manifold). After that basics, upgraded IC, full 3" exhaust, any aftermarket Cam and then proper injectors and pumps and other little supporting mods.

Come on man.... I made 300whp @20psi on LH on Pump gas with the hy35cw. So you made 50whp more with higher CR, larger turbo, better tuning, external WG and e85. I was still running the stock internal WG just ported with a larger puck installed. So on paper I think those all seem like fair gains. Running that same turbo now on MS let me get it dyno'd again once I get this head back on and let us see what I can do with MS.

I?m pretty sure you were running 25-28 psi and e85 when you actually made the number after a bunch of different ****ing around to make it happen. I remember being shocked at how disappointing the numbers were for the amount of boost you were running. Also, the point wasn?t about measuring dicks, it was about how ****ing around with LH at that power level isn?t worth it. Also, I?m done with messing around with redblocks to make power as the ROI isn?t there when it comes to outright power and power delivery.

Might of been someone else, when I ran 25psi and a few more mods on LH I peaked around 350whp or so on e85 on the same long block through an aw71.

And for sure bang for the buck v8 swap +turbo is light years ahead of a redblock. But for most making sub 300hp for a fun DD you can do it cheap. But at a point (400+whp) these cars can become undrivable on the street without a lot more $$$ on the chassis.

The 3582 is a bit too much turbo for what you are trying to do and will be pretty lazy depending on the hot side you run.

Also, the he341/351 is the ticket. They are the newer designs of the non-VGT turbos and don't have super huge hotsides on them like the hx35s/wh1cs.

HE351 and GT3582R are pretty close in terms of wheel diameters, for the record. The Holset has a larger compressor but the Garrett has a larger turbine.

Compressor
HE351CW: 86mm exducer
GT3582R: 82mm exducer

Turbine
HE351CW: 65mm inducer
GT3582R: 68mm inducer

a 3076r on the blue 242 I worked on over the past few years turned in 300+ whp fairly easily while having good 'response', reckon it all depends on desired powerband and what not.

Back