• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850 whiteblock rwd gearbox

BigRedVolvo

Looking for people that have used their 2.3 t5 engine in rwd set ups. What gearboxs/cars did you use? Must be 400bhp+ capable.
Any info/build threads greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Looking for people that have used their 2.3 t5 engine in rwd set ups. What gearboxs/cars did you use? Must be 400bhp+ capable.
Any info/build threads greatly appreciated!
Thanks

M90 if you can find one,

T5, not sure about the 400HP+ capabilities though, DeeWorks sells the adapter plate.

CD009, fits well in a 7xx/9xx shell, needs a little banging in a 240. You will need a shifter relocator and DeeWorks sells the adapter kit for this one also.

I used an m90, because it was plug and play and shifts pretty nice. Also because it was easier (and cheaper) to buy a complete 960, then sourcing the needed parts for the build. You will need the oil pan, oil pick up, water pipe, heater hoses, drive shaft and transmission. I also took the rad, fan and throttle valve and all sorts of bits off the 960. I don't know about the 400+ bhp, but my car with 300 chp brakes traction pretty quick so the trans doesn't take the full beating. It's sitting in it for 4 years now (street driving) and still holds up fine.

The automatic from a Volvo 960 with the B6304 whiteblock also fits...and holds lots of power...if you're building a drag car :).

Seriously? The Aisin tranny in my S90/960 holds a lot of power? I've been through 3 of these on stock power! And don't you need the electronics (TCU) from the donor car to make them shift?

I could be wrong though and maybe I was just unlucky as hell. Are these the same that came in the automatic MKIV Turbo Supra

Last edited:
The one in the 960 is the same one that's in the MkIV non-turbo supra. It's been able to handle 400 hp with no issues, as proven on a few supra boards. The biggest issue with automatics is that they're designed for smooth, gentle shifts...and that wears the clutches out. A dead auto box really only needs new clutches, because it slips. It's far from dead, but garages charge a mint to replace them.

I'm running maximum line pressure, and have deleted the accumulators, so when the fluid is warm...it's a pretty firm shift. It's like running a six-puck clutch disc with a strong pressure plate. Not much slip at all. The POI shift box I made from instructions I found here allows me to control the shifts like a muscle car with a manual valve body, except I'm actuating solenoids instead of hydraulic valves.

Clutches wear out, and the ones in auto boxes are no different. The AW30-40/A340 is basically the japanese equivalent of a GM auto. The rest of the world uses them in everything...and there's a huge performance market. The MkIV Supra turbo boxes have extra clutches inside that allow them to hold more power in stock trim...and a LOT more power with mods :).

...if you're interested in seeing what's up, all you need to do is cut the wire that goes to the line pressure solenoid. Then it's maximum pressure at all times ;).

Last edited:
Back