• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sander's 6.0 V12 745 project

Thanks for the nice replies!

Unfortunately the stock Volvo 940 E-fan doesn't fit, even with the radiator about 4" further forward than stock. Got a Spal one that is a lot flatter. It can move 2220m3 of air per hour, should be enough.

Installed an ABS unit from an E46 BMW M3 (Teves MK60). It's a proper 4-channel abs system that will also work as a standalone unit.

The front part of the drive shaft is also done. I used the stock 740 2-piece drive shaft. I cut the rear part that sits in the bearing off of the front drive shaft and turned it down to fit the new tubing (same diameter as stock, 70mm). I took the forward flange off of the S600 one and made an adapter thingy to get it to fit the 70mm diameter of the Volvo shaft. The S600 one is only 60mm in diameter. I never would've thought that I would need to beef up the parts from the S600 to fit the Volvo... The rear piece of the Volvo driveshaft doesn't need to be modified. The length is perfect, it just needs an adapter/spacer to fit the Volvo shaft to the BMW diff I'm using. Nothing terribly complicated there.

Last edited:
Interested to see the adapter you come up with from driveshaft to diff. I recently picked up a BMW LSD to adapt to a MKI IRS like you have. Thanks for the inspiration!

Have any pics of the wheel encoders you installed in the rear for the Teves Mk60? That is awesome. I have been considering this for our racecar. These modern ABS systems work quite a bit better than the 1980's stuff I'm used it.

That engine is so big.

And that driveshaft is to pretty to conceal out of sight, under a car.

Thanks, it'll get painted black though :(

This is better than sex (almost) ;P

Haha thanks

Interested to see the adapter you come up with from driveshaft to diff. I recently picked up a BMW LSD to adapt to a MKI IRS like you have. Thanks for the inspiration!

This is what I made. It's pretty straight forward, just a lip and bolt pattern on one side that matches the diff flange and the other side an indent and Volvo axle pattern that matches the U joint. Don't mind the weird surface finish on it, I was experimenting a bit with some different tooling on my lathe. What diff did you get exactly? BMW used something like 6 different input flanges on these things. Also I'm not sure if the rear part of the Volvo drive shaft for the IRS equipped cars is the same as the ones for the live axle ones. My car had a live axle, so that's the shaft I used.
Another way that would work without an adapter is to disassemble the Volvo axle's U joint, turn down the lip/centering ring of the U-joint flange (that centers it on the diff) to the size of the BMW flange and then drill the Volvo hole pattern in the BMW flange. It'll look completely stock like this.

Have any pics of the wheel encoders you installed in the rear for the Teves Mk60? That is awesome. I have been considering this for our racecar. These modern ABS systems work quite a bit better than the 1980's stuff I'm used it.

Not yet as I still have to make that. I'll cut a pair of tone rings on my plasma cutter that goes over the outboard cv joints and make a little bracket that'll hold the BMW sensor. I can make an extra set if you're interested (and it works as planned)

This is what we made for a TR6060

49891017263_6d196b669f_b.jpg

Not yet as I still have to make that. I'll cut a pair of tone rings on my plasma cutter that goes over the outboard cv joints and make a little bracket that'll hold the BMW sensor. I can make an extra set if you're interested (and it works as planned)

Yeah would be! I'm very interested to hear how this works out. I'm doing a Mk2 IRS swap on my v8 740 project and I'm considering this. I'm also not doing any work on this until I finish my other project car :)

Sander I hope that you are making progress.... That life is returning to a 'normal' that is a positive for you and that you will soon tell us of how your pipe organ sounds on the road!

Back