• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aluminum trunk lids

142 guy

While trying to fix a leaky trunk on my 1971 142 E, I checked to make sure that I had the correct gasket and that I had it installed correctly. Turns out the gasket is still available directly from Volvo and when looking at some of the on-line Volvo dealer sites I noticed an annotation on the product page about being suitable for use with the aluminum trunk lid. This piqued my curiosity so I did some more checking and it appears that some (all ?) of the 1975 -78 240 and 260 models had aluminum trunk lids.

I had a 1979 242 GT and the 1979 had a revised back end and I don't remember the trunk lid being aluminum. My 1987 745 T definitely had an aluminum tailgate. Looking at pictures of the 1975 - 78 240s the trunk lid appears to be very similar to the 140 trunk lid. Does anybody know whether the '75-78 240 trunk lid is a direct fit or easily fittable on the pre '73 140?

I am all about trying to reduce weight rather than extract more hp from the B20E.

Does anybody know whether the '75-78 240 trunk lid is a direct fit or easily fittable on the pre '73 140?

Early 240s look like pretty close... but I'm aware that in '74 Volvo switched to metric fasteners, so the hinges might not bolt on directly.

kfl092.jpg

If you're that interested in shaving weight, why not just get a fiberglass trunk lid?

140 and early 240 use the same trunk lid (part #1255079) so an aluminum one should bolt right on but it's probably going to be easier to find a fiberglass or carbon fiber one.

https://www.acm.se/category/baklucka-19

The 164 catalog shows a different part number (1203554) that's also listed in the 240 catalog but it updates to 1255079. It's probably the aluminum one.

While trying to fix a leaky trunk on my 1971 142 E, I checked to make sure that I had the correct gasket and that I had it installed correctly. Turns out the gasket is still available directly from Volvo and when looking at some of the on-line Volvo dealer sites I noticed an annotation on the product page about being suitable for use with the aluminum trunk lid. This piqued my curiosity so I did some more checking and it appears that some (all ?) of the 1975 -78 240 and 260 models had aluminum trunk lids.

I had a 1979 242 GT and the 1979 had a revised back end and I don't remember the trunk lid being aluminum. My 1987 745 T definitely had an aluminum tailgate. Looking at pictures of the 1975 - 78 240s the trunk lid appears to be very similar to the 140 trunk lid. Does anybody know whether the '75-78 240 trunk lid is a direct fit or easily fittable on the pre '73 140?

I am all about trying to reduce weight rather than extract more hp from the B20E.

I don't know where you got the idea most of the 75-78 240s came with an aluminum trunk lid. I've had many 240s of that vintage and have never encountered one with an aluminum lid. I'll have to check the cars I come across in the future. I wasn't aware until your post that this was an option.

I'm guessing but I think the 164 lids were aluminum based on the different part number. Volvo probably used up the left over aluminum lids on the early 240's then switched over to steel which is why both numbers are shown in the 240 parts catalog.

Does anyone with a 164 or '75 240 want to take a magnet to their trunk lid? I have one that I took off a 164 but it may have been replaced 'cause it's magnetic.

The trunk lid on my 144 was pulled off a 164... not magnetic.

It was a '72, so maybe it's a late-model change?

EDIT: Oofers. Meant it's magnetic, not aluminum.

Last edited:
I don't know where you got the idea most of the 75-78 240s came with an aluminum trunk lid.

I said some (all?) 240 and 260 not most, specifically not knowing whether this was hit and miss or perhaps market sensitive. All I was going by was the reference in the Volvo application guide that listed the 240 and 260 from 75 - 78 as cars that potentially had the aluminum trunk lid.

I'm guessing but I think the 164 lids were aluminum based on the different part number. Volvo probably used up the left over aluminum lids on the early 240's then switched over to steel which is why both numbers are shown in the 240 parts catalog.

The on-line Volvo application listing did not include the 164 as one of the cars that might have the aluminum lid so I can't comment on the part number difference question.

The possibility that the 75-78 240 might have an aluminum lid was attractive as there might be a remote possibility that I could pick up one from a salvage yard for a nice price. If I were buying fiberglass or Carbon I would want to lay eyes on them before purchase because so much of that stuff is sketchy (and heavy).

So, it seems to be hit and miss with all misses so far. This is one of the references I found that mentions the aluminum lid on variants between '75 and '78. Different sites mention both 240 and 260 under the 'What This Fits' tab.

https://parts.volvocarsannapolis.co...ith-aluminium-Boot-Lids/42932831/1213755.html

The aluminum lids have an identifying sticker (Fig #38). Maybe as hiperfauto suggests it was some kind of end of production run thing (all though why list all the way until the end of 1978) or maybe there were some specific variants of the 240 and 260 that got them. It appears likely they would fit my 1971 when you look at the parts drawing as the latches and hinges appear identical, now I just have to keep an eye open for these unicorns.

This sounds like its based on some internet rumor stuff. Will not believe these existed until someone actually has one in hand.

Back