• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

JW's 1991 240 wagon

JW240

All idiot, no savant
Updates are found in my posts further down in this thread!

a little bit of info about my car...

p5170197k5st.jpg

p7290050k1py.jpg

My dad bought this 240 in 1994 to replace the old 1982 245. We drove this car with great pleasure untill my dad got a company car in 2000-2001.
During that time we kept the 240 in storage so i could drive it when i would get my drivers liscence. We started the 240 every few months but suddenly it wouldn't start anymore.
In august 2004, we wanted to use the car again because I got my drivers liscence. We ran in the problem that the crank position sensor couldn't be replaced, because it was GLUED in place. So after hammering, burning, using a chisel, ropes, hose clamps and many swearing later, it still wa stuck in there. No other choice left, we loaded the car on a trailer and used our 850 to tow it from the shed to a good volvo expert shop.
While the car was there, we got numerous things replaced. A short list:

-Clutch disc, TOB and PP
-Brake discs
-Brake pads
-4 brake hoses
-Timing belt
-Lots of engine seals (crankshaft seals, camshaft, intermediate shaft)
-V-belts
-All oils (engine oil, coolant, gearbox, diff, brake fluid, ps)
-fuel filter
-oil filter
-rear suspension stuff
-spark plug wires and plugs
-battery
-air filter
-etc....

The car had a perfect stage 0 after this and it drove very good.

After some time, it got time to upgrade!
I regret that we didn't upgrade some things while we restored the car! x-drilled brake discs, ss-steel braided brake hoses, some poly bushings should have been used.

01-2005:
I was tired of the old 14" stock wheels. Virgo rims with 205/60R15 M+S tires were found by a nearby volvo enthusiast. The tires are still good, Although driving in hot weather with winter tires increases the wear. Especially after the addition of IPD anti sway bars the tires got a much harder life....
MPG got a lot better and the car has actual road holding now.

pict33942qc.jpg

virgo's with 205 wide M+S tires PWN a ford sierra! We went up there in the morning when the ground was frozen, and when we wanted to go back, the ground was really muddy. I pulled the ford out of the mud, and drove the dirt track in reverse with 25 mph to have enough momentum to make it up the hill. There should be a movie of this, the spectators said it was very impressive, drifting with all 4 wheels plowing through deep mud :-D

Removed a lot of rust from behind the rear bumper and some surface rust in the front area.

06-2005:
Red-white-white-red tail lights were sourced form a 240 that was sent to the scrapheap (engine run without oil, hole in the block, one rod gone, engine was still running...).

p7070665k5jt.jpg

Looks much better imho...

i also did the Airbox mod. MPG got better, more power and a bit nicer sound :-P There is a writeup about it in the articles section...

pict40053pp.jpg

Installed a nice Stereo (Blaupunkt CD-70, 4x35w, Digiciever)

Repaired the broken wiring of the liscence plate. It was broken since the winter, but I couldn't fix it, no heated shop. First I used a battery next to the drivers seat to power the liscence plate lights, together with some old speaker wire. I tried to use the cigarrette lighter plug to power the lights but due to a short somewhere the fuse kept blowing. Ghetto...

08-2005:
IPD anti-sway bars added. Bought at the Dutch volvo show in Utrecht. €280, quite a good price, couldn't import it myself for that money. 25 mm front bar, 22 mm rear bar.

p9040920tn8hx.jpg

Big change in road holding! really much more fun to drive.
Also added clear turn signal lenses.

I am planning to do some small tuning to the engine or swap the engine for a turbo engine.

This was the old plan:
-Simons sport exhaust.
-Different cam (A, B, VX)
-Maybe Electric fan from a 850/960
-ECU from a 940 (claimed to give a good improvement, worth a try)
-other small things that can be improved.

New plan:
I recently bought a crashed volvo 940 (http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=71317). Its a euro spec 944 from 1995, with soft turbo engine (B230FK) and manual 5 speed transmission (M90!). this car just had a lot of stuff replaced before the owner crashed it...
New turbo, new fuel pump, new brakes, new tires, all within the last 15K miles replaced...

The plan is to swap this engine + gearbox in the 240, together with some other small mods... (better driveshaft support bearing from the 940, add gauges for oil etc, upgrade in tank pump (unit form 940), add AC-engine heater, a bit of porting and polishing maybe, chips, good exhaust... nothing extreme.
I want to have the swap really clean looking and reliable, just like it came like that from the factory, but with some upgrades.

Also E85, a wideband lamdasonde and many small stuff is going to be used....

More to come... (last updates always later in this thread!)

JW

Last edited:
how fast is it? im trying to get a 2/7 series wagon, turbos + manul trans is hard to come by so maybe ill just go n/a

ashvolvo said:
looks really good. is rust a big issue in most cars over there or does it have something to do with yours being in storage for so long?
rust is a small issue here. its often because people don't wash the wheel arches etc. Behind the bumper is always a problem with 240's though..

mikeeeeeee said:
how fast is it? im trying to get a 2/7 series wagon, turbos + manul trans is hard to come by so maybe ill just go n/a
its not very fast, but it gets up to 80 mph quite fast. especially once your moving, from 50-75 mph is really fast, that takes only 8.5 seconds or so.. thats pretty fast for a big car..
With a bit of tuning it is a lot more fn to drive...

Vee_Que said:
Looks good, though what've you done with the rear bumper?
I removed it so I could attack the rust that was behind it. I was kinda lazy and drove around without the cover for 4 months.. 2 layers of paint with rust remover, a layer of rubber paint (for covering roofs) and a layer of underbody coating..
the bumper is back on now but haven't got a good picture of it.

Interesting euro climate controls there. How do they work? They appear to have two heat knobs? In 91 over here, we got buttons for the climate control and the radio was on the top part of the dash. Does it have dash gauges on the top? Interesting that the descriptions are also in english for the climate control and everything on the dash.
Very nice looking 240 though, looks like mikep's 245.

945ti said:
Interesting euro climate controls there. How do they work? They appear to have two heat knobs? In 91 over here, we got buttons for the climate control and the radio was on the top part of the dash. Does it have dash gauges on the top? Interesting that the descriptions are also in english for the climate control and everything on the dash.
Very nice looking 240 though, looks like mikep's 245.

they work like this:
Upper left control: coolant valve. Used to be a thermostatic controlled valve but when it failed volvo sold ud the upgraded valve that hasn't got a thermostat.
Lower left: Air mix; air threw the little heating radiator or not
Upper right: front window defrost air valve
Lower right: Floor valve
All operated by cables, no aircon, just heating or ventilation.

indeed, everything on the dash is english, also the rest of the car, maybe some french and swedish explanations too.

JW

screendump43yk.jpg

a little it of fun with NX 3.0 :-D
lower chassis braces for my 240! I'm going to make them from 40x25x3 mm steel box section tubing, or something close.. part is not finished in the drawing btw....

Last edited:
p4081429small6fe.jpg

a nice day, time to do some maintenance. The PCV box was clogged and the cam seal was pushing out oil becuase of that.

p4081436small3ts.jpg

p4081438small9zd.jpg

p4081440small1el.jpg

the wiring loom insulation was wearing through were it rubs over the rear engine hook. i rerouted the loom a inch and addad a lot of extra tape..

p4081447small7bm.jpg

p4081448small8ek.jpg

the place were i worked on my car. check the 480's!

p7251690cu0.jpg

The fornt tires were worn out... so i grabbed the 2 good steelie summer wheels from my 940...

p7251686ng1.jpg

I painted some rust spots under the car and the area below the doors. Also applied lineseed oil to the faded black plastics. The oil worked good, only a bit sticky, and the rain drops left ugly spots, bit after a bit of cleaning its much better.

I attacked the rust in the rear too. Sanding paper + steel brush, then Fertan rust converter, then 2 layers of Ferpox, very strong epoxy primer. After that a thick layer of rubber underbody coating. I'll re-coat the whole wheel arches later when i have the pressure washer to clean them, there were quite a lot of un-coated pieces..

small update

The new engine + gearbox for the 240.

Removing the engine from the 940: http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=87254

During the next months i am going to port the exhaust manifold + turbo, clean + paint the engine, replace seals and gaskets, new studs, motor mounts, maybe a bit of port work and some small improvements.
I am looking for a better intercooler (maybe a 92+ 940 one), a 940 E-fan, a 3" exhaust, chips, bigger injectors for E85, EBC....

Last edited:
noone interested in my car?? :grrr: :roll: ;-)

Some updates and upgrades:
-ATE Powerslot rotors on the front, nicely finished off with silver hi-temp paint. 40 euro ebay special :-D
-free-ed up the pistons of the left front caliper. didn't help. sourced rebuild set for that caliper.
-cleaned TB, air filter and changed the oil.
-Nippon Denso 100A Alternator + updated ground wire from my 940. Better!
-'new' mechanical fan from my 940, the original fan of my 240 was broken (t-stat on the front was gone) and was dragging a bit. i drove it like that for years, no problems though.
-Greentops + resistors, now i am running E85. starting progressively got worse and now better again since i removed the Bosch 4+ spark plugs an fitted NGK BP6-ish thingies.

Now the more interesting stuff:

http://jw.cautela.nl/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2937

M90H getting ready for the 3rd gear synchro mod and cleanup. biiig gears. more to come. :cool:

More M90 stuff: http://jw.cautela.nl/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2912

http://jw.cautela.nl/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2906

My corner in the workshop.
Engine on the stand and ready for teardown. The pistons can be moved a bit and there is a very slight ridge on the top of the cylinders. Hone pattern is (almost) gone on some places. Lots of oil gunk everywhere.
The 90+ exhaust manifold and 13C turbo are almost ready with the porting treatment.
Cometic .030 Headgasket and poly engine mounts stage 1 will find their way to my engine, maybe a 531 as well...
Engine stuff here: http://jw.cautela.nl/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2851

Simons/JT 3" exhaust with 2 straight through silencers and 3" downpipe is in the mail, its stuck somewhere between Sweden and here FFS! :wtf:

Last edited:
JW, nice thread!'
Some ideas for my project!
Just purchased a header, 3" AMM, bigger throttle body and again some huge turbo power:) for my futur +T project....
any progress on the lower chassis braces? What about the axel, (making a new one that will fit m90 in 240) any news on that part? And the wasted spark setup?
We should share some ideas some time soon...the 740 will be gone within the next 2 weeks, maybe we can take a drive before it goes to the JY and enjoy some T power....(modest power:oops: )

New GOODIES!

goodies! :) Cometic MLS headgaskets, RSI stage 1 enginemounts and JAW wideband controllers..

JAW wideband kit..... assembled (one of the kits is for me, the other one for Ruben). I bought them via the group buy here on TB.

and a niiiice intercooler that i traded.....

From a Iveco Eurocargo II truck. Core size: 44 cm high (with endtanks 48 cm), 56 cm wide (with endtanks 84 cm) and 6 cm thick. The inlet/outlet are 3". :-D

more pics can be found here!!

i found a smaller version of the 940's water/oil heat exchanger (from a Volvo 400 series) that i think i can use in combination with the classic oil/air oilcooler. The old style oilcooler is for the peak loads and the water/oil heat exchanger is to stabilize the temp and make it heat up faster with a cold engine. At least, thats the theory :-P
I'm probably making this more complicated than needed...

I wanted to complete the turbo engine swap this summer but i had to do a lot of work on the house of my parents, the amazon and a loooot of other stuff that took away my time for the 240...

Oh and i picked up a Efan. me being me i managed to find the only 1 speed 940/850 style efan ever produced (it was even attached to a 2 speed relay...). so i will return to the shop and exchange it...

Last edited:
Back