• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 motor swap into another car

paulisa

hi guys first post here i have a old iveco truck with a 1941 chevy body sat on it but i want to fit a 960 3.0 motor and auto box from a parts car i have does anybody know how difficult the electrical side will be i know a bmw swap is easy only need to add a couple of wires to the ecu and up and running .is the volvo a similar set up

thanks paul

Hey, cool, that's my thread, lol. :)

hi guys first post here i have a old iveco truck with a 1941 chevy body sat on it but i want to fit a 960 3.0 motor and auto box from a parts car i have does anybody know how difficult the electrical side will be i know a bmw swap is easy only need to add a couple of wires to the ecu and up and running .is the volvo a similar set up
The wiring depends on how confident you are in your own abilities, ultimately. Pre-97 960s will have easier wiring to swap over, but no matter what version you get, you'll need a proper speed signal for the ECU/TCU (which comes from the 960 gauge cluster IIRC). The transmission can be run manually or with an aftermarket controller, if you don't want to mess with the extra hassle of wiring in the TCU.

thanks guys i think i will remove the complete harness from the scrap car use the dash,colum and switches just remove the things i dont need .the truck its going in has no wires in it at all so the Volvo is a good start point just need to lenghen some of the wires for rear lights etc if i could fathom out how to add a picture i would lol

quick update engine is now out the volvo and placed in the truck.body of truck sat on more or less in place just need to drop it down over the chassis by a couple of inches to get it looking how i want .full harness is all marked up and pulled through the bulkhead of the volvo ready to start stripping out everything not needed hopefully wont be too hard a job to place it all in the truck to get her running

quick update engine is now out the volvo and placed in the truck.body of truck sat on more or less in place just need to drop it down over the chassis by a couple of inches to get it looking how i want .full harness is all marked up and pulled through the bulkhead of the volvo ready to start stripping out everything not needed hopefully wont be too hard a job to place it all in the truck to get her running

quick question i have the full wiring harness out the donor car now and removing stuff we dont need like electric seats windows etc question is do i need the sensor in the diff connecting i wasnt going to use the volvo axle in my truck . i take it the wire going to the diff is a speed sensor can i connect this to a abs sensor?

thanks Paul

What year is the donor 960? If it's 92-96 the ecu can be run without the speed signal (although it might exhibit a few quirks now and then, the VSS isn't super important). If it's 97-98...I don't know. The later ecu (motronic 4.4) may need the VSS, but there's not much info on what happens if it's deleted. I'd assume it would cause some trouble, being a more complex ecu, but I don't have any real idea.

donor car is a 1993 so hopefully good we have stripped the harness out the car and removed all wires we dont think we need like electric windows electric seats and all the abs aircon and heating non of which the truck will have

That's Motronic 1.8, so it's less likely to pitch a fit if there's no VSS. People have done it and reported no real issues. I've been over the service manual a thousand times and can't find any mention of serious side effects of running without it.

You might want to rethink no heat, it's pretty miserable without it when it's cold and/or you're trying to defrost the windshield.

it will have a heater just not the complicated volvo one i have a small compact unit from a dihatsu hijet van just needs 2 pipes and 2 wires switch is already on the unit for the fan

Back