• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

"Junkyard" T3 combinations for 230FT

The cossie .48 has performed very well for me. If I was going for more topend power then I'd consider a .63 with the wastegate port and channel opened up along with the ATP ultimate wastegate setup. I don't know when I would do that though. Since I'm happy with the .48.

The real ATP Ultimate wastegate is now cast iron (not welded as shown in pictures on their site) and lists at $168 on their site. I also agree that it is a nice piece and could have a place in my future.

Here are some pictures of the Cosworth housing that I have gathered from other posts on Turbobricks. If anybody doesn't like that, just let me now and I will edit them out.

Originally posted by Thelostartof:
thelostartof2-600x450.jpg

Originally posted by The aspirator:
cossie_exhaust_view-600x450.jpg

Originally posted by thelostartof"
thelostartof1-600x450.jpg

Interior of .48 Cosworth housing originally posted by Thelostartof:
thelostartof-450x600.jpg

interior of .48 Garrett housing (my photo):
Image042-450x600.jpg

interior of .63 Garrett housing (my photo):
Image041-450x600.jpg

Last edited:
My understanding of the salvage yard combo I've read about here is this. You use the Ford compressor side. IIRC, it's a .60 a/r. The Volvo center housing and the Volvo .63 exhaust housing. That'll support some good hp while keeping turbo costs low.

Yes Dave you're right. I've used the ford .60a/r compressor housing a couple of times, the only tricky bit is that you need to make/buy adapters to bolt onto the inlet/outlet. ATP makes some great ones. You can also use the ford center section, it's basically the same as the Volvo one IIRC.

And I've gotta say, the wastegate design of that cossie turbo is nothing short of brilliant. All internal gate turbos should have been designed like that from the start. But it's still a tiny cute little housing.

The ATP wastegate setup is very good. I think whatever you chose it'll provide a great engine upgrade. The stock internal gated .48 and .63 volvo housings have a poor high boost gate design. I had boost creep with my car as soon as I put on a 3" exhaust using the stock .63 housing. I solved that by getting a stock 5 bolt housing that was modified by Cherry Turbos. But I still had the stock setup with a small port and the gases had to make two turns to get out of the housing.

Putting on the ATP wastegate would be a big step better but you'd still want to port the stock wastegate port on the housing larger to better match the ATP gate puck. Then it'll be a much better setup for higher boost.

The Cossie housing is also a good choice to provide the same benefits without you doing any porting. It's good out of the box.

I think the benefits of the ATP style wastegate housing are that it has a 3" outlet and a v-band. I just ordered a couple of the ebay cheapies to try out. I'll post back if there are any problems.

my nissan t3 has a seven bolt housing. Stupid thing. How do i go about changing it? As in what housing do i swap to?
Posted via Mobile Device

Vee_Que

I found a site by someone with that turbo - http://www.redz31.net/pages/turboupgrade.html - he discussed the options and went two different ways with it. The first way was to buy a cheapo ebay t3/t4 turbo and use his existing stock housing - then it turned out the ebay turbo was junk!

Somebody probably makes (or could make) an ATP style adapter for that bolt pattern. Here is a block off flange for it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Niss...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Another way to go is to switch to (nearly) any other T3 turbine housing that takes your fancy. That means there are lots of junkyard turbos listed above that you can mix and match with. If you get one off a volvo, saab or ford they will have the "ford" style five bolt exhaust pattern. Then you can use those ebay adapters, or the real ATP adapter, or get blanking plate and external wastegate adapters off ebay.

Or just buy one of these Cosworth housings that I am drooling over.

But if you look at the site above, you will see that your Nissan wastegate port and cast exhaust tube is probably better than what comes on the volvo/saab/ford t3's.

Back