• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Stroker kit-non- penta

MikeSr.

What, me worry?
300+ Club
I am speculating whether a B230 stroker kit could be put together with some off the shelf parts. I noticed that Sten Parner has a kit that has Venolia pistons and Eagle rods. The rods look very much like small block Chevy 6" rods, which can be found on E-bay all day long.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33623&item=7953352954&rd=1

$329 for 8!

I also e-mailed Venolia asking about their piston combos. No answer yet.
Why buy from SPM and have the $$ exchange rate kick your ass?

Last piece would be stroker Marine crank. Despite many inquiries on this board and elsewhere, I cannot find a Marine crank, so I'm thinking an offset grind on a stock crank.

There has to be a cheaper way to get this combo than SPM.
I know about the old posts on various combos, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel, just copy a succesful setup.
Any thoughts?

It is theoretically possible, as you recognize. I have yet to read of any successful setups that you could copy, though. You won't be reinventing the wheel. Others have thought of the same in the past and some in the present, but no one has yet done it to my knowledge.

People have used Buick or other pistons. People have used Chevy rods. People have offset ground cranks. Maybe some combination of the above would work.

Those $329 sets of Chevy rods are probably no stronger than our stock late B230 rods. Due to economies of scale, however, you can buy a set of eight strong Chevy rods for less than the cost of a set of four custom Volvo rods. Figure out what combination to use and split the sets and you might have something.

Philip Bradley

pbonsalb said:
Those $329 sets of Chevy rods are probably no stronger than our stock late B230 rods. Due to economies of scale

Also if you think that 600hp out of 8 pistons and rods dont have have as much stress put on them as 4 pistons and rods would.

well even performance chevy 350 connecting rods dont cost that much

Problem is the crank pin (journal) and wrist pin diameter is off.

Crank pin on the rods are nearing 1/4 inch larger then volvos crank shaft. I wouldnt feel very safe running 3/16inch thick bearings.

The piston pin is about .12 inch to large.

Now the ? is will eagle rod charge just to alter the 350 rod design to make it fit in b230 motors.

The Nissan VG30 or 300z twin turbo or the Ford 4.6l are closer in correct size then chevy 350 rods.

Last edited:
Well with SPM you are paying for him figuring it all out I guess. Would be nice if someone had his kit so we could have the info. Maybe it would be smart to talk to him about distributing his products over here. Not sure how much he sells in the US, but if someone would agree to send him back some cash for each set he sells or something. Maybe we could talk to him about like a Tbricks group buy. We get a group together to send him money, and he sends us specs. Now if he makes the rods himself, I guess it wouldn't be possible to save the custom costs, but he does know all the dimensions for the correct stroker setup. Where is veniola made? hmm

I gots me a stroker crank from a friend that runs a marine shop, specializing in volvo penta i'll ask him if he has any more cranks layin around.
Could one re-use the stock pistons? but they would only be good to so much power, right?.

yeah i think that makes most of us. but then you wouldnt have a non-penta stroker kit, now would you?

Well i just got back from the marine shop and chatted it up with mike and helped him drop the tranny in his talon, and yes he does have more cranks! still in the block and i cant really see what condition there in, but they are there. most of them had corroded cylinder heads from being used in the ocean but most of the internals still look good.

So theoretically could i cut some metal off the marine pistons for them to fit the block? but that would kind of defeat the purpose of bumping the displacement with the bigger crank eh?
I'm not really sure what i'm talking about here, someone break it down for me please, the only reason i have this crank cuz i heard someone say its good /\/\/\/\/\/\K4Y (<--- leet)

245gti said:
They won't....BTDT...

i'm not going to split hairs here, but a while back there was a gentleman with a 242 who did up a b21/23 with chevy pink rods and a large amount of nos. if you can control rod float at the piston, you can run the smaller journaled rods (or, conversely, if you get the crank welded up you can as well, but that kinda offsets the cost of cheaper rods).
fwiw, i can get a set of eagle h beams for a chevy 350 (either 5.7-b23 or 6.0-b230) for $250 at the local performance shop, they claim "you aint gonna break em" but then again, there aren't any domestics around here making much over 600.

People have fitted Eagle rods for Talons into B23s with stroker cranks. I think they used custom pistons.

The Chevy wrist pin is a fine mod. We used it with my Crower rods and Arias pistons. It makes the machine shops comfortable. They are familiar with it. The big end is the problem. You need to weld and (perhaps, offset) grind the crank down to something adaptable. People have suggested the Honda big end size. Others have suggested Mitsu 4G63, but I never looked seriously into this. You could also have float issues. Dick Prince made his custom rods wider at the big end for his race B230 16V Turbo. You could probably do some fancy crank work (maybe not much more work if you are welding and grinding already) to narrow the journal to fit some adaptable stock rod.

I will be watching this and similar threads, as will others. A few people have Penta 2.5 projects in the works.

Philip Bradley

pbonsalb said:
People have fitted Eagle rods for Talons into B23s with stroker cranks. I think they used custom pistons.

The Chevy wrist pin is a fine mod. We used it with my Crower rods and Arias pistons. It makes the machine shops comfortable. They are familiar with it. The big end is the problem. You need to weld and (perhaps, offset) grind the crank down to something adaptable. People have suggested the Honda big end size. Others have suggested Mitsu 4G63, but I never looked seriously into this. You could also have float issues. Dick Prince made his custom rods wider at the big end for his race B230 16V Turbo. You could probably do some fancy crank work (maybe not much more work if you are welding and grinding already) to narrow the journal to fit some adaptable stock rod.

I will be watching this and similar threads, as will others. A few people have Penta 2.5 projects in the works.

Philip Bradley

Could this be done DIY with a home stick welder, or flux cored mig? I am really on a tight budget so I figure the most moeny saved is the best route. When you say grinded... can you do this with common sandpaper? Is offset meaning to go against the grain of the metal?

linuxman51 said:
i'm not going to split hairs here, but a while back there was a gentleman with a 242 who did up a b21/23 with chevy pink rods and a large amount of nos. if you can control rod float at the piston, you can run the smaller journaled rods (or, conversely, if you get the crank welded up you can as well, but that kinda offsets the cost of cheaper rods).
fwiw, i can get a set of eagle h beams for a chevy 350 (either 5.7-b23 or 6.0-b230) for $250 at the local performance shop, they claim "you aint gonna break em" but then again, there aren't any domestics around here making much over 600.

I was merely stating that Eagle won't make custom rods...nothing else.

I've been researching this exact thing for a while now...........

Ask Dick Prince about running piston-centered rods... Seems to me he split some bores doing it that way. My machinist doesn't think welding up the crank is a very good idea and I trust his judgement.

Still working on finding a combination that will actually work...

Unregistered said:
Could this be done DIY with a home stick welder, or flux cored mig? I am really on a tight budget so I figure the most moeny saved is the best route. When you say grinded... can you do this with common sandpaper? Is offset meaning to go against the grain of the metal?

Solder and a bench grinder would save the most money. Don't worry about the grain of the metal if you are trying to save money.

Philip Bradley

pbonsalb said:
Solder and a bench grinder would save the most money. Don't worry about the grain of the metal if you are trying to save money.

Philip Bradley

too funny.

so your friend has more cranks, how much would the going rate be?

Back