• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

122 torque mount broke off

Hard to see what happened. Did the bracket break off the axle? Bolt fell out and the arm fell down?

I'd go bitch at the dealer. They clearly failed to send you the recall/warranty notice.

I'd go bitch at the dealer. They clearly failed to send you the recall/warranty notice.

Im calling VOLVO USA right now

n7QJHaAh.jpg

got to check out a butt
4oJTxFfh.jpg

there was no shopping carts there ....took that sign home
hNMmzs6h.jpg

whats the order of poly bushings on those - large one goes on the back of the bracket and small on the front (facing the car)?

Oh you done messed up! That's a pretty clean break, hopefully you can reweld it easily.

wow. Looks like a silly design to me... subject to fatigue with that bushing design for sure.
automotive engineering was wack yo
No FEA back then

Stuff like that happens with modern cars

Shoddy engineering.
In theory, if you use steel and the amplitude of force doesn't often exceed the endurance limit stress, you have a part that'll never break from applied loads alone.

The catch is corrosion and damage that introduces a stress concentrator, etc.

Shot peening helps with all that, but would probably be inconvenient in this application

Unfortunately, a lot of engineers don't consider fatigue seriously enough when designing a part, because the cyclic loading may be unknown. Hey, it passed the FEA! That means it's good, right?
Sure, maybe for a while.

But then again, if the failure isn't catastrophic, then it's just another service item. Profit! $$$$$

Do you think the IPD sway played into this at all? I know its good practice to reinforce some areas on the front suspension with the IPD bars. About to install the rear on my car and wondering if it played into this.

I disagree about engineering not considering fatigue but theory sometimes doesn’t work in real world. You cab have everything done right but the welder was hungover when installing a part etc

This is a 53 year old part.. **** happens no bid deal. Volvo redisegned the rear suspension in 1968

Do you think the IPD sway played into this at all? I know its good practice to reinforce some areas on the front suspension with the IPD bars. About to install the rear on my car and wondering if it played into this.

For sure they did. So did poly bushings, age, design and my hard driving. It takes few min with a welder to reinforce the mount as shown in TSB, just play it safe and add the plates

Last edited:
You cab have everything done right but the welder was hungover when installing a part etc

I getchu but this is fatigue failure, based on the pics.
My paranoia of modern engineering design stems largely from seeing how many dumb ****s were in my graduating class for my B.S.M.E.
People I was like "How the **** did you make it through? I'm gonna die one day from your stupid ass design"

Back