• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850R, born to be mild

Dammit

+8cm
I bought an 855R on the second of January 2009, so I've had it just over a year now.

I live in London and had been searching for some time before I spotted the advert on Pistonheads- only one slight issue, the car was just outside Aberdeen.

I spoke to the owner and arranged to fly up to buy it- I spent the night of January the first in an airport hotel in order to make my flight.

When I got there the car looked good, but on closer inspection it had had a high speed encounter with a Hare, and there were a few other things I was not happy with- but I'd just flown the length of the country with no return ticket so I was going to buy it.

As a way of getting to know your car I think that the first drive being 600 miles or so does a good job.

3168717298_4d2795b4c0.jpg

The car came fitted with the AP big brake kit- however the pads and the discs were shot, as were the front shocks which were the original Volvo items, so a trip to Williams Race Engineering was called for:

4215504037_0aa37b9fd7.jpg

DS2500 pads, new slotted rotors and Koni FSD's made a huge difference to being able to go around a corner and stop.

Most recently I bought a turbo from a later model car- a 16T with the angled exhaust flange.

This turbo made 280bhp on the dyno shortly before I bought it- and as it turned out when taken apart most of the turbine wheel had vanished into the exhaust whilst doing this.

So we used the cold side of my straight flange 16T with the hotside of the later turbo.

The angled flange downpipe is an amazing difference to the straight flange- which looks like a shepherds crook.

So that's where we are today- oh, and I polished it:

3677341809_d7616ccf3c.jpg

The next stage is to take the head off, replace the rods with H-beams, replace the head with a Tim Williams ported and flowed unit, a TW throttle body, and a 3" turbo back exhaust.

Then it'll be time to call on the talents of the owner of Britains fastest 850 owner (12.9 1/4 mile) to tune it via turbo tuner.

Current power goal is 250 whp- as the title says, born to be mild.

I think it will be interesting journey finding out what the 16T can do if everything else is optimised.

Oh, and I bought a bigger tent:

3795015507_95efa0c189.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments.

NJBrickwithBoost- I'm referring to two people really, first is Tim Williams, widely accepted as being the foremost authority on 850's and V/S70's in the UK, and Elliot- the chap with the fastest 850 in the UK.

When it comes to purchasing components Don of Kalmar Union is normally the chap who can get what you need.

Tim's ex-police Volvo 850 runs with a 2871 and around 400 bhp, Elliot's runs a 3076 and 450+ bhp.

Both of them are fast road/track rather than drag, and have lapped the Nurburgring at speeds I can only hope to emulate.

Nice looking estate, do you have a manual? I'm still deciding if I should convert mine to manual or just keep it somewhat stock.

IMG_9480.jpg

DSCF0326angle.jpg

Last edited:
Gatti....convert it. Don't question it. I've got one just like the OP's sitting in the driveway with an M56H in it....too much fun, and it's had very little in terms of power upgrades so far.

To the OP....nice ride!! The GF's got the same setup minus the 16T and AP's (still got the Koni's and H&R's, even has the wing).

Nice 855R!

Though, if your goal is only 250whp, you certainly don't need rods or a ported head. I hit 239whp with nothing more than a chip and 3" turbo-back on a 200k mile automatic wagon.

Good luck!

Headwork as you can see is happening, all belts and so forth are being replaced.

Porting the inlet manifold for a larger throttle body, gasket matching and so forth.

I have access to a "spare" 850 T5 engine which did 90,000 miles attached to a slush box before the car got bent at the Nurburgring, so if the pistons look bad we can replace them.

Compression is an even 165 psi over all five, so we shall see.

Goal here is to make the engine as un-burstable as is possible, then see exactly what can be had from the 16T with an angled housing.

So after this work we've got Intercooler and exhaust.

I need to get my house purchase sorted out before that though.

Finally- all work is being done by Tim Williams, so to him all credit must go.

Standard valves, inlet back-cut a fair amount, exhaust not so much in the name of longevity/heat transfer.

A friend has a manual T5-R estate at his farm that has been left there for a couple of years due to burned out exhaust valves.

That had been hammered with rubbish fuel, but on a turbo-charged engine I'd rather be careful.

Very nice there,i had a 96 850R with the AP racing brakes.it stopped on a dime.Mine also had a M59 box.I fitted the V70R dual mass flywheel and internal slave cylinder.that made the clutch feel alot better
sadly i sold it earlier this year,but i bought another one this past weekend
volvoshow08small.jpg

Back