• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850R, born to be mild

Sticking to my "once every 18 months" updates, to say that my turbo (a 19T) is very poorly.

It is very rapidly approaching Norwegian Blue status, so I need to replace it.

I'm thinking about the following options - help me decide, Turbobricks Hive Mind.

1. Replace the 19T with a new one. Simplest and cheapest option - ?900/$1,400 and ~340 bhp at the flywheel
2. Replace the 19T with a new one, and replace the intercooler, all pipework, larger MAF. ?1,800/$2,800 and ~370bhp at the flywheel
3. Garrett 2871R, intercooler, pipework, yada yada. ?2,500/$3,900 and ~400bhp at the flywheel.

In each case the car will be mapped for the application, and the engine has rods etc already in place.

Open to other suggestions, also - and if anyone in the US has a 2871R still in the box that they are currently using to prop a door open, please feel free to send it my way.

Or:

turbo1.JPG

Do you race road bikes? Sweet wagon and great color! My dad and I picked up an 05 R in Sweden and went to the Euro GP at the Nurburgring too, way too fun! Though a Volvo wagon gets no cred on the autobahn, nothing like the 02 911TT we picked up, people got the hell out of the way then!

What road bikes do you ride? You should put a rack on that car!

Ok, I am now at "grasping at straws" level of diagnosis.

Problem: turbo should make 1.4 bar, it's making ~0.8 bar.

Shaft spins freely, no play. Waste gate sealing well, 100 cell cat checked with bore-scope and was peachy.

No boost leaks.

Removed line from BCS to actuator- still not making boost.

Bad turbo? Bad actuator?

I would vote bad actuator. Try wiring the gate shut and carefully see if boost builds. The mitsu's in general had kinda weak springs in them. Might need to step up to a better actuator.

Car in neutral, bonnet open- revving it up to 7k and you can see the actuator arm moving ~10mm with the line from the BCS off.

To me this seemed to suggest the exhaust gasses are blowing the waste gate open. However, that might be total rubbish.

I'm beyond my capability level here I freely admit.

I'd toss an MBC on for testing purposes. If it doesn't build the boost you set to I'd go with bad WG. Can also pressure test the WG

Checked out the wastegate when the downpipe was off- looked and felt like it was "good", didn't pressure test it though. Did test with MBC- did not build boost correctly. Very slow to build the boost it did, also.

Did you run it inline with the BCS or just the MBC?...how old is the turbo/miles?

Just the MBC IIRC. Not sure on the age of the turbo - I bought it second hand. It was (aren't they all?) sold to me as being low mileage, one careful lady owner who drove her Volvo to Church on Sunday etc etc.

I think the car may be possessed.

Right rear suspension is 1" lower than the left rear- Nivomats, why have you betrayed me?

I suspect I may be in over my head. This is an unpleasant feeling which I shall work too resolve.

Last edited:
Soon.

16991200721_4728084d2e_b.jpg

Very much looking forward to this being ready to roll again - upgrades this time round are a 20T, much larger intercooler, new charge pipework, 90mm MAF and a map specifically for everything once it's buttoned up.

If we have the time this will then spend spin it's wheels up on the dyno, I'd be interested in what it'll do.

Back