• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cosbysweater's 244: ATS Brakes All The Things/Wish It Was A CTS-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, well too far into this car to get discouraged about a little mishap. i bought this from work yesterday. it has a late model 4l80e and a gen 4 6.0! this project just grew up

lol, well too far into this car to get discouraged about a little mishap. i bought this from work yesterday. it has a late model 4l80e and a gen 4 6.0! this project just grew up

What a weird issue to have. I've never seen a gerotor pump fail. Did the metal just crumble?
Great attitude! Keep plugging away at that thing. It's going to be fantastic once it's on the road.

so heres my diagnosis. i think the 5.3 wa in a vehicle that had a nasty front end collision. it cam with no balancer on it. i took the balancer off and cranked it and found the end of the crank was bent! so what im thinking is when i ran it up on higher rpms the gerotor dislodged and **** the bed completely. oh well live and learn. i took a risk with it and luckily nothing major was damaged. the 6.0 will take everything i have off the 5.3 so its no biggie. also i drove this van and i know the trans and engine work flawlessly. so thats good piece of mind!

so heres my diagnosis. i think the 5.3 wa in a vehicle that had a nasty front end collision. it cam with no balancer on it. i took the balancer off and cranked it and found the end of the crank was bent! so what im thinking is when i ran it up on higher rpms the gerotor dislodged and **** the bed completely. oh well live and learn. i took a risk with it and luckily nothing major was damaged. the 6.0 will take everything i have off the 5.3 so its no biggie. also i drove this van and i know the trans and engine work flawlessly. so thats good piece of mind!

That's crazy. Glad the new one will drop right in, though!

trans is put of the car and the engine is stripped down and ready to be pulled. hopefully i can yank the drivetrain out of the van tonight and get it in by next weekend. that would be ideal

i pulled the 6.0/4l80e out of the van. going to steam clean it tomorrow and do the cam and head gaskets. next weekend it will be running. with a 6.0

pulled the truck in at 12, took a 1.5 hour lunch break and had the sob out on the floor. no cutting the van up, everything taken off properly. here are the pics of the glorious 6.0 before removal.

finished up my gauge setup after work today. ran all new wiring and properly fused and relayed everything so all the gauges have the same amount of light. may put a inline resistor on the boost gauge. also i bought a new analog afr gauge just because i wanted it to look somewhat period correct. i can change the gauge to the same back lighting but i think the red will stay due to the simple fact that it is the most important. so for gauges i am using all vdo vison minus the afr gauge. soon i will mount a speedometer where the factory clock goes. it will be a small gps speedometer that will have a individual circuit. dont really need it but i would like to have it for data logging and tuning.

Got the wheels and tires on the car,they are cragar 17x7s wrapped in continental extreme contacts 225/45/17

Here's pics of the 6.0 I like to call it swamp thing

I removed the rocker arms and push rods and steam cleaned the mess

I did valve springs and swapped in a ls6 cam, got the oil pan and everything on this morning and it's ready to go. I leak checked all the valves and they were sealing fine so I'm not gonna worry about removing the heads

Got the rear end centered in the car tonight, I had measured all the angles of the trans previously so I set the pinion angle. I'm waiting for some other parts to trickle in this week and I'm going to be throwing the 6.0 in this weekend, and probably install the trans next weekend. I got the fuel lines run on the car and permanently secured. I got the brake situation all figured out as well. I dont know if I posted this but I went with a set of rx7 calipers up front to get something a little better. I am running a single brake circuit to the rear of the car and I will try the stock proportioning valve on there just to see if I like it. But most likely I will be converting to a adjustable one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back