• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Megasquirt ignition options

90volvo

I have 90 Volvo 240 just installed rebuilt engine. I?m installing megasquirt2 and building my own harness. Last time I had it running on the megasquirt I was always loosing signal with the 2.4 cps. I tried 3 different cps senors, resistor was installed and had everything grounded correctly. But still battled loosing signal. I?d like to try a different option, I?ve read about a fount mount cps wheel but not available in the states. How does Msd box work out and use dist. To trigger it? I?d like to keep it simple and reliable. Thanks for any advice.

240 with the block mount distributor? Try the Yoshifab CAS adapter

https://yoshifab.com/store/billet-redblock-dsm-cas-adapter.html

You used to be able to find the Cam Angle Sensor from a 1994 or so Sonata brand new from Rock Auto for around $50. That ship appears to have sailed and they are now all over $100. You may be able to get one from a salvage vehicle as they were used on a number of different cars.

Not an inexpensive solution; but, a rock solid reliable solution. I have been running the B20 version of the adapter with a Sonata sensor with MS2 Extra since 2016 without issue. Of course, if your wiring is badly done or you have bad grounding no sensor change is going to fix that problem.

Hey thanks for advice. When I had it going last time around, I ran Kenny’s plug and play. So some of it could of been factory wiring probs. When I pulled engine I decided to pull original harness out. I’m going to build ms harness and try and do a neat job.

When I started digging about the 60/2 set up it seemed like I read a lot of post of signal problems. I thought about the y.DSM. But don’t know much about it. Hate to ask but do you have a link or know off the top of your head how you wired it up? Thanks for your advice. Appreciated

Last edited:
Mueller makes an adaptor to run the diyautotune hall sensor in place of the Volvo vr sensor. It was a sanity upgrade for me. Zero sync errors and I haven’t looked back. Cheap too.

^^^ if this is still available, it would be a great solution. The DIY hall sensor is here: link

Hall sensors are much easier to work with than VR sensors because they put out a 0-to-5 volt signal regardless of RPM. The output voltage of a VR sensor varies with rpm (really roughtly, from ~1 volt at lowest rpm to ~100+ volts at max rpm). With MicroSquirt and a VR sensor, you need to find a resistor to reduce the max voltage enough but not be too big to squash the signal when cranking.

I have a new DIY Autotune Hall Sensor that we did not use on our original Jeep build.
Send me $20 and its yours, PM for deets.

Hey thanks for advice. When I had it going last time around, I ran Kenny?s plug and play. So some of it could of been factory wiring probs. When I pulled engine I decided to pull original harness out. I?m going to build ms harness and try and do a neat job.

When I started digging about the 60/2 set up it seemed like I read a lot of post of signal problems. I thought about the y.DSM. But don?t know much about it. Hate to ask but do you have a link or know off the top of your head how you wired it up? Thanks for your advice. Appreciated

There used to be a rather lengthy thread on using the CAS with the Yoshifab adapter in the Aftermarket Engine Management Forum. It would be at minimum of 5 years ago. I was not able to find it. If you find that thread, be aware that in that thread the idea of using a trigger offset of 10 deg for the cam tooth was floated. If you read the MSExtra manuals, they recommend against this and give a preferred range for the trigger offset. I think I am using 60 deg. The 10 deg offset kind of became 'internet wisdom' for a while so watch out for historical threads that include it.

The basic wiring is covered in the MSExtra manuals. You can find a number of threads discussing set up issues with the CAS which will give you some good back ground info. This is a starting place.

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=311584

As an observation, if you have the code set up for a 60-2 wheel switching to a Hall sensor from a Vr sensor would be the low cost path to fixing 'sensor' issues.

A little searching found this: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=4836402&postcount=72
attachment.php

And this: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=268026
attachment.php

Mueller: last visit 07-14-2020

Did you use shielded microphone cable for the sensor?

If it's a hall sensor, Forget this comment.
If it's a Magnetic pickup, Unshielded wires are going to get you strange issues.

Ps, shield needs to be connected to sensor ground on the ECU SIDE ONLY

Back