• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Texas240 was 16v but now LM7 5.3L

Do you have an old block to assemble the pistons onto for the rented tool? Maybe you can send josh your pistons and have them machined on a mill?

Does your block need to get bored? What wideband are you running? And make sure to set the valve springs proper seat pressure.

Besides the abuse... smooth shifting compared to the m46/47, T5

Need to get the notch tool from Josh and I should probably order that too.

Hmmmmm. The 265 that I drove in a 535is was a terrible shifting transmission. It didn't like to be rushed from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th. Granted, it did have the better part of 200k miles on it. That said, the getrag has a higher torque capacity from the factory. It comes down personal preference. If it were my car, it'd be a T5:e-shrug:

What kind of torque is the Getrag rated for? The gm worldclass is good for 325 to 350ftlbs......all depends on the driver. I like my positive engagement and rail type shifter of the T5.

What kind of torque is the Getrag rated for? The gm worldclass is good for 325 to 350ftlbs......all depends on the driver. I like my positive engagement and rail type shifter of the T5.

A lot like 450ft/lbs. New with good trans fluid at working temp.

Hope that 20 year,old getrag with crappy ratios no aftermarket world and expensive rebuilds holds up. Also have you driven a getrag? Not a smooth tranny... A t5 is smoother stock with a after market shifter is tighter than a 12 year old

Hope that 20 year,old getrag with crappy ratios no aftermarket world and expensive rebuilds holds up. Also have you driven a getrag? Not a smooth tranny... A t5 is smoother stock with a after market shifter is tighter than a 12 year old

Metric Mechanic does offer upgrade for the transmission.

Don't forget to look into a billet crank gear and some solid cam dowels. Id even put one into the auxilary shaft.

Don't forget to look into a billet crank gear and some solid cam dowels. Id even put one into the auxilary shaft.

:nod:

I took the front pulley off mine and discovered to my shock and horror that the little locating nub had snapped off. It was aligned correctly, and the nubs don't hold it in place, but still, just a reminder that it's instant engine carnage if that front pulley ever even gets loose with a stock gear.

Metric Mechanic does offer upgrade for the transmission.

LOL look at there prices???? also not many trany shops are familiar with rebuilding them compared to the t5. you could have a bullet proof t5 done in hand for the cost of the getrag part prices.

Hmmmmm. The 265 that I drove in a 535is was a terrible shifting transmission. It didn't like to be rushed from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th.

Also have you driven a getrag? Not a smooth tranny...

I'll throw in a vote of confidence for the Getrag 265. I'll admit the main reason I went that route was because I bought a pair of complete transmissions from a local friend for $200.00. One of which he ran in his Volvo for a while and the other that he hadn't run yet, but had pulled from a car that was hit but the motor/trans only had 135K miles on it. I went with the lower mile unit from that car for my wagon.

In my car, it works very well, no idle chatter like I've heard from people, easy shifting, etc. It just works and I quite like it. I wonder how much the shifter and shifter cage assembly is affecting the above judgements/impressions. The stock 265 shifter cage sucks. It's soft mounted to the trans and to the body of the car with rubber bushings and the stock "throw" with that assembly and the BMW shifter isn't great either.

In my car I have a really nice piece from RSI to solve this. It's a modified M46 shift cage altered to bolt onto the Getrag. It's hard mounted instead of rubber bushed. Additionally it retains the stock M46 shifter which just happens to be a "natural" short shifter when compared to the BMW shifter. To further the positive feel and crisp shifting I installed a brass shifter bushing kit from RSI as well. I'd recommend this route for anyone installing a Getrag into a 240.

For reference here's pics of what I'm talking about:

BMW cage vs. RSI kit:

526.jpg

M46 shifter installed in RSI Getrag shifter kit:

528.jpg

How the RSI shifter cage mounts to Getrag:

525.jpg

RSI brass shifter bushing kit:

523.jpg

As compared to the crappy plastic OEM bushings:

527.jpg

Do you have an old block to assemble the pistons onto for the rented tool? Maybe you can send josh your pistons and have them machined on a mill?

I do not but you tape over the whole deck of the block, attach cutter and go to town then vacuum.

Does your block need to get bored? What wideband are you running? And make sure to set the valve springs proper seat pressure.

Block is getting bored for $10 a bore. Im using a innovative wideband cause I got a good used one for the right price on here a month ago. Im using the valve springs from Josh so not to worried about that.

I'll throw in a vote of confidence for the Getrag 265.

I Agree. I drove Pauls back from Oregon after IPD and I liked it a lot.

I ran the same ford springs......come to find out in the end I was 30lbs below spec. Just check install hiegth and seat pressure.

Im running Knox beehive now and even they needed 4mm of shimmig.

Last edited:
Just going through my head on the issues I had with my 16v. I suggest new lifters if your sticking with hydraulic. If you do, I can dig up the number for the hotrod VW lifters.

Back